1300mls and clutch gone - Cupra 300

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
OK so they didn't give me any more details but the Flywheel is bust. they've ordered a new one and it isn't something they have seen before. She was happy to tell me that it is covered under warranty, very good of them.... :)

should think so on a 3 month old wagon

Reactions: LouG

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
OK so they didn't give me any more details but the Flywheel is bust. they've ordered a new one and it isn't something they have seen before. She was happy to tell me that it is covered under warranty, very good of them.... :)

I had my clutch go 2 weeks ago with same issue as you. Mine had 5,000 miles (3months old) manual 300 mystery blue.

They took it in for 3 days and replaced the fly wheel along with clutch plate and cable. It was spongy when changing gear for a week and they told me the plate had come loose and damaged the cable and thus the fly wheel. Not sure if that's all correct, but that's what the rep told me. I only got an FR as a run around :censored:, however I went straight to garage with my issue.

Glad to see I'm not the odd one out with clutch issues on a 2018 car!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
If the clutch has exploded/eaten itself it could have damaged the bell housing or flywheel?
That can be seen without stripping the box, it'll be obvious when they pull it off the engine. And if something had punched a hole in the bellhousing, the OP would have noticed.
I'm just thinking the dealer's trying on a bit of BS.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

You would expect so but if you had over 6000 miles on her they would have argued for wear and tear.

I find it pathetic that they produce a 30k car and say the clutch is only covered for 6000 miles

Reactions: Glennc91

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
yeah I have to admit, although I would have argued it through legals if they had said that, I was relieved when they called me to say it was covered with warranty. I know if you launch a DSG a certain amount of times they void your warranty for those types of problems.

I also find it strange the amount of 280/290/300's pushing 360-400bhp with no issues at all without these sorts of problems. My 290 BE was mapped to 370bhp and was also a manual and didn't miss a beat in the two years I owned it.

I need my car back soon, this Golf is really growing on me

Reactions: xyz

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
You would expect so but if you had over 6000 miles on her they would have argued for wear and tear.

I find it pathetic that they produce a 30k car and say the clutch is only covered for 6000 miles
I had mine replaced at 7,500 miles under warranty due to pedal sticking/slow returning. However, doubt i would have got it if I didn't agree to pay for the work if it was down to ware and tear or driver abuse (clearly knew this wasn't the case). Also think being a mechanic myself and not buying the claims of 'it will just need bleeding up' ect helped. Turned out to be weakened spring forks on the clutch cover. Had clutch, flywheel and release bearing replaced. All good now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
yeah I have to admit, although I would have argued it through legals if they had said that, I was relieved when they called me to say it was covered with warranty. I know if you launch a DSG a certain amount of times they void your warranty for those types of problems.

I also find it strange the amount of 280/290/300's pushing 360-400bhp with no issues at all without these sorts of problems. My 290 BE was mapped to 370bhp and was also a manual and didn't miss a beat in the two years I owned it.

I need my car back soon, this Golf is really growing on me

Like I said - I specced an R to £40k and got a deal on it for £33440!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
What happened with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well,

I got my car back and it was all done under warranty. They changed the clutch and flywheel and that was that.

When I went to collect I asked to have a word with the service manager, as this happening was a bit of a worry but I was told I couldn't. So I put my questions to the lady on the service desk such as, what happens if this happens again in another 1300 miles, and she said that I would be paying for the repairs as it is OBVIOUSLY my driving style.

I told her that this was my third Cupra, the previous two I had driven hard and done 20 & 40 thousand miles respectively and when I had parted company with these cars the clutch was still like brand new. I also told her that my latest Cupra 300 was a 5 door due to the fact I am now driving a 1 year old around in the back of it, so I am also driving a lot more conservatively, at which point she butted in like sherlock holmes had just cracked the case. "ah that is probably why it's happened then".

I informed her that although I look like a dashing 21 year old, I am in fact 35 and have been in the car tuning business since 18, and been driving performance cars my whole life. My new steady driving style is not responsible for destroying a clutch and flywheel in 1300 miles. She responded by saying "yeah my sister says the same thing, she thinks she is a great driver but when she is driving and I am in the passenger seat I can tell just how hard she is on the clutch".....

I said to her that that I was trying by best not to be patronized at this point, and the situation was left as basically, we will cross that bridge when we come to it, but if it happens again it is my fault and I will be paying for the repairs.

Not sure whether to fire an email over to SEAT about the situation, or I'm just wasting my time.

Either way, this glorious car that I was really enjoying, now has me driving and changing gear in fear of it happening again, questioning my bloody driving style! I loved the brand and the product, and now it is completely the opposite :-(

Reactions: xyz

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Glad you got it sorted under warranty.

I find most stealers going the same way now and blaming the owner for everything ( they must train them to do it )

If you haven't done it already - I would be adding a clutch stop and removing the clutch delay valve.
Gives the clutch a far nicer feel

Deleted member 103408

As @DEANO says glad you got it sorted under warranty.

I would fire off a mail to SEAT Customer services explaining what has occurred. This is very poor customer service.
I would also add in the information you provided to us as you are correct 1300 miles is not acceptable regardless of how you drive but that this is the third car you have had so you expect them to cover it if it happens again as this is a Fault / Bad Design.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Well,

I got my car back and it was all done under warranty. They changed the clutch and flywheel and that was that.

When I went to collect I asked to have a word with the service manager, as this happening was a bit of a worry but I was told I couldn't. So I put my questions to the lady on the service desk such as, what happens if this happens again in another 1300 miles, and she said that I would be paying for the repairs as it is OBVIOUSLY my driving style.

I told her that this was my third Cupra, the previous two I had driven hard and done 20 & 40 thousand miles respectively and when I had parted company with these cars the clutch was still like brand new. I also told her that my latest Cupra 300 was a 5 door due to the fact I am now driving a 1 year old around in the back of it, so I am also driving a lot more conservatively, at which point she butted in like sherlock holmes had just cracked the case. "ah that is probably why it's happened then".

I informed her that although I look like a dashing 21 year old, I am in fact 35 and have been in the car tuning business since 18, and been driving performance cars my whole life. My new steady driving style is not responsible for destroying a clutch and flywheel in 1300 miles. She responded by saying "yeah my sister says the same thing, she thinks she is a great driver but when she is driving and I am in the passenger seat I can tell just how hard she is on the clutch".....

I said to her that that I was trying by best not to be patronized at this point, and the situation was left as basically, we will cross that bridge when we come to it, but if it happens again it is my fault and I will be paying for the repairs.

Not sure whether to fire an email over to SEAT about the situation, or I'm just wasting my time.

Either way, this glorious car that I was really enjoying, now has me driving and changing gear in fear of it happening again, questioning my bloody driving style! I loved the brand and the product, and now it is completely the opposite :-(

Inform Customer services straightaway mate. It’s a performance car ffs and should handle it - there was obviously a problem with it. On top of that, the bint in the dealership had no cause to speak to you like that. I had a Cupra R that I drove the way intended - clutch went at 85,000 miles. She’s talking bollocks mate and I think her attitude was quite insulting to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Well,

I don't know why you bothered talking to the monkey, should have insisted on talking to the Organ grinder. Or emailed him.

Seriously though, some of the stories about your dealers make me think they'd last 5 minutes down here. Everyone I've dealt with over all sorts of brands have at least been responsive and polite.

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Yeah I do intend to write an email about it all to Seat, I'll do it before the weekend and let you know what the response is.

Cheers lads

Reactions: LouG and xyz