1.5TSI Evo engine

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Not overly impressed

Book figure 58mpg combined

Currently getting 34mpg combined, engine only has 130 miles on the clock and i know they over exaggerate the book figure but i expected mid 40’s.

And thats me going easy, 60mph a roads 70mph motorway

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Not overly impressed

Currently getting 34mpg combined, engine only has 130 miles on the clock and i know they over exaggerate the book figure but i expected mid 40’s.

Blimey. I can get more than that from my Golf R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Not overly impressed

It will take a while to achieve near to those figures. You will never get the book figures on a new engine.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Probably find it gets better when the engine beds in. It will take a few miles to do that. Cruise control is the key.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Cruise control to bed the engine in? Cause right now i can acheive better mpg with my right foot than the cruise control can acheive :eek:

Reactions: LouG

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Cruise control to bed the engine in? Cause right now i can acheive better mpg with my right foot than the cruise control can acheive :eek:

Probably not now but my R gets better mpg using the cruise control. You’ll just have to bare with it until it beds in.

Reactions: kazand

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
My 1.4 TSI 150 did high 40's from new and is now at 52mpg long term with 5k on the clock. Have you checked the actual mpg, brimming off then to empty against miles driven, rather than just the indicated value?

Mines fairly accurate but others have noticed a difference.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Do a proper consumption check over a couple of tank fulls to be sure. Factory figures are usually only achievable by old people.
The consumption figures on both our Cupra and Arona are 1/2L per 100 km's optimistic.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I doubt you'll get those book figures doing 70 on motorway. I have a 1.2 petrol and to get the high 60's mpg, I have to do 54/55 mph on motorway with AC and fan blower switched off...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not overly impressed

I think you need to give it time. With only 130 miles on the clock, the engine’s still factory fresh and very tight, and current fuel consumption is highly unlikely to be representative of what you’ll be getting longer term.

Are you relying on the car’s fuel computer for your fuel consumption figures - the fuel computer can be inaccurate. The more accurate way is to calculate it manually by brimming the tank when you fill up, and divide the mileage covered since the last fill-up by the gallons used.

Additionally, lots of factors influence fuel consumption - some more than others. List below is not exhaustive and there are probably other factors;
  • Ambient temperature; at this time of year when the ambient temperature is lower, fuel consumption tends to be worse than during the warmer months.
  • Length of journey; short journeys when for much of the journey time the engine isn’t at the optimum operating temperature really knock the mpg figures.
  • Traffic volume and traffic conditions.
  • Driving style.
  • Number of occupants in the car / weight of items being carried in the luggage compartment.
  • Having the windows open will increase drag and worsen fuel consumption.
  • Tyre pressures; too low and fuel consumption will be adversely affected.
  • Increased use of the car’s electrics during the colder months (lights, heated rear screen, heated mirrors, a/c) are likely to have a negative impact on fuel consumption.
  • De-icing the car with the engine running at this time of year will have a negative impact on achieving good mpg figures.
I don’t bother checking my fuel consumption on a new car until it’s covered at least 1,000 miles and at that mileage, it’s still unlikely to represent the long term mpg figures I’m likely to get.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Also remember your not just bedding in the engine, it's the entire drivetrain. Even the tyres need wearing in a bit.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Also remember your not just bedding in the engine, it's the entire drivetrain. Even the tyres need wearing in a bit.
Tyres are good after 50 miles or so. Maybe even less. Only need to burn off the release compound from the tyre press

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
My 1.4 TSI 150 did high 40's from new and is now at 52mpg long term with 5k on the clock. Have you checked the actual mpg, brimming off then to empty against miles driven, rather than just the indicated value?

Mines fairly accurate but others have noticed a difference.
My 1.4 TSI 150 long term is 35mpg...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I've found that my trip computer is usually a bit optimistic. I've got a slightly older (140hp 1.4 non-ACT) which I've averaged about 43.5mpg (measured) over 4.5 years of ownership. 50mpg is possible on long runs without driving like a granny.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
We will soon have one of these engines in our household (significant other is getting an Ibiza FR 150) and we test drove it and purchased on Saturday.
On the test drive it seemed to be very economical, even though I was not driving with economy in mind - did a bit of city and a bit of motorway, with a heavy foot on a 30 mins drive and it averaged 38mpg
On comparison, they gave us (her...) a courtesy Ibiza poverty spec with a 1.0l engine and on a similar route the consumption was waaaaaay higher.
Only when we got to the road and I put it in cruise it started to come down - I feel the 1.5 engine is going to be more economical

Reactions: seatgraham

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
I posted this last month on another thread.

My 1.4 ACT ST is 4 years old today so have worked out my annual stats.
Total mileage is now 45044 with 11983 covered in the last 12 months.
Computer says an average mpg of 47.9 this year, actual figure is 46.5.
Over the 4 years computer says 47.2, actual is 45.2.
I do a fairly mixed mileage of town driving and longer trips and I also tow a caravan for about a thousand miles a year.
Car has been very reliable, no dramas.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise