MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
$h1t the bed!!!

A random call to SEAT CS has just resulted in me finding out that my car was delivered to the dealership yesterday.

Week 45. It was on the Aquarius Ace and docked in Grimsby on the 22nd. Only taken a few days to reach the dealership. Granted it's only 1.5 hrs away.

Over 13 months of waiting...

Had to extend my original 24 month lease so much that I just had to put it through it's first M.O.T last Friday.

Let's just hope it's the right spec this time...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Let us know you get on lol.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83
Haha, our tax system likes to hit you right in the nuts if you want a car. Especially if you like fast cars.

In Finland the government decided that we'll be the first nation in the world to use the new WLTP CO2 figures as basis for taxation, even though we already had one of the steepest private car taxation in the world.. So, surprise, surprise: the prices rose steeply - especially when CO2 figures are over 135g/km... So now the Cupra ST 300 4drive has a CO2 figure of 190 g/km and the price begins at 50761,23€ after taxes... Add a few options and easily at 60k... Jeez :censored:

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
In Finland the government decided that we'll be the first nation in the world to use the new WLTP CO2 figures as basis for taxation
That sounds very similar to the construction we have... It sucks, but luckily it won't keep me from driving a nice car [B)]

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Back to the topic of DSG farts - today I noticed that if the engine and gearbox are in Sport then you get the DSG fart but not as loud as if the engine is Cupra and gearbox in Sport. It only really does it at high RPM/load and not really in the mid-band…but it will pop and crackle (and sometimes bang) on overrun.

If you’re in Cupra and whack it into manual then you get a ‘WHOOOMP’ thud type noise at high load (I’ve mentioned this before) but no fart. I have theory on why. The 7-speed DSG is quicker to change gear in manual than it is in sport…only maybe 50ms difference, but it’s enough. There’s not quite as much time for the unburnt fuel to ignite in the manifold/exhaust coupled with a shorter retarded ignition angle spark cut period.

You actually can notice this happening with a slightly muted warbly fart at lower rpm and load when in sport for engine and gearbox – there’s not as much unburnt fuelmass being ignited, but the slightly longer angle retard period means you hear it. It’s definitely a different mapping from the ’66 onwards 290’s and 300’s though so it just won’t be as pronounced – it’s a symptom of WLTP and fuel saving/emissions reduction.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Back to the topic of DSG farts - today I noticed that if the engine and gearbox are in Sport then you get the DSG fart but not as loud as if the engine is Cupra and gearbox in Sport. It only really does it at high RPM/load and not really in the mid-band…but it will pop and crackle (and sometimes bang) on overrun.

If you’re in Cupra and whack it into manual then you get a ‘WHOOOMP’ thud type noise at high load (I’ve mentioned this before) but no fart. I have theory on why. The 7-speed DSG is quicker to change gear in manual than it is in sport…only maybe 50ms difference, but it’s enough. There’s not quite as much time for the unburnt fuel to ignite in the manifold/exhaust coupled with a shorter retarded ignition angle spark cut period.

You actually can notice this happening with a slightly muted warbly fart at lower rpm and load when in sport for engine and gearbox – there’s not as much unburnt fuelmass being ignited, but the slightly longer angle retard period means you hear it. It’s definitely a different mapping from the ’66 onwards 290’s and 300’s though so it just won’t be as pronounced – it’s a symptom of WLTP and fuel saving/emissions reduction.
Quite the theory! Anyone willing to record the differences and put it up on YT?

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
Hi, new to the forum, just ordered a Leon Cupra 290 in Mystery Blue, 12 week wait. Currently driving a Mk7 Golf GTD, so this is going to quite an upgrade in terms of performance and increasing my trips to the Petrol station, haha.

Can’t wait until February!
I went from a 2.0 audi a3 to a cupra 280. Fuel wise depends on how heavy your foot is. I was spending about 180 a month on fuel. 70 miles a day for work!!!! Now im spending in excess of £300 in fuel. Also it's 99 ron .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Its worth checking when you change gear.

Mine isn't a WLTP car so obviously a 6 speed. I noticed the same as you, in Manual mode the 'farts' where less pronounced or none existent, but with the gearbox in sport (or even drive with the foot planted) the farts where certainly louder.

After further investigation I was shifting nearer the red line than in sport mode. Now when I shift that little bit earlier like sports mode, its just as loud as ever :)

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I'll try and record 2nd into 3rd gear changes later on with it in Sport/Sport, Cupra/Sport and Cupra/manual. I say try as traction is going to be the limiting factor as well as how fast I can go legally!!
It may also be cool to hear the difference from outside the car, but that would probably require you to have a second person available and do even more planning.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Its worth checking when you change gear.

Mine isn't a WLTP car so obviously a 6 speed. I noticed the same as you, in Manual mode the 'farts' where less pronounced or none existent, but with the gearbox in sport (or even drive with the foot planted) the farts where certainly louder.

After further investigation I was shifting nearer the red line than in sport mode. Now when I shift that little bit earlier like sports mode, its just as loud as ever :)

I thought that might be the case too, but in watching and listening to the late 290’s and 300’s, you didn’t need to change gear very high in the rpm band to get a fart or even a crack. I used to get it in the manual 290 if I short shifted at high load at around 4000 rpm but there’s nothing with the DSG even if a try to provoke it. You do have to be at the redline as you say to get anything similar and even then it’s more quiet.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I'll try and record 2nd into 3rd gear changes later on with it in Sport/Sport, Cupra/Sport and Cupra/manual. I say try as traction is going to be the limiting factor as well as how fast I can go legally!!
Cheers for the insight mate.
Would you say that you're now able to make the car consistantly produce pops, crackles & farts at will now?

I.e pops and crackles from 4>3k revs in DSG sport, warm exhaust plus engine Sport or Cupra

Farts from changing at the red line in DSG sport. Engine Sport or Cupra

Although it's not as loud as the previous versions are you satisfied or would you be looking to do a res delete in the not too distant?

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Cheers for the insight mate.
Would you say that you're now able to make the car consistantly produce pops, crackles & farts at will now?

I.e pops and crackles from 4>3k revs in DSG sport, warm exhaust plus engine Sport or Cupra

Farts from changing at the red line in DSG sport. Engine Sport or Cupra

Although it's not as loud as the previous versions are you satisfied or would you be looking to do a res delete in the not too distant?

Within reason, yes. It’s easy to get pops, crackles and bangs with engine in Cupra and gearbox in sport or manual (less so if engine in Sport only)

I’ll try to summarise what I’ve found so far:

• DSG farts at top rpm in Sport but not as much in Manual

• Pop and crackles on overrun on sport/manual but easier in manual as you can hold the rpm at around 3500-4000 and let off without it jumping into 3rd on its own

• 1st gear and 2nd gear held in manual at 3500-4000rpm always gets pops and crackles and when warm bangs (not gunshot bangs, but bangs nonetheless)

As for res-delete, because it’s a lease car I’m paranoid that I’ll be the poor b’stard that has an entirely unrelated engine or turbo problem and SEAT UK refuse warranty and VWFS make me pay off the contract at that point in time and then remove the car…which they can do.

As an experiment, I also found that if you drive sensibly with the engine in eco mode (so DSG reverts to ECO) I can get 40mpg from my 30 minute commute to a from work on A and B roads – all other modes seem to sit at about 28mpg. I never ever thought I’d make mpg comments about a performance car as I’m not bothered about chasing numbers but thought I’d drive it like a ‘normal’ person and in ECO for one tank to see what happens. When you look at the full to empty average, it’s actually only 33mpg in ECO vs 27mpg in all others. It barely seemed worth driving like my Nan for an extra 5mpg!!!

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Watched a number of videos on the GTI PP mk 7.5
That was also upgraded to the 7 Spd DSG. Seems to have a slightly louder exhaust note minus the DSG crack on upshift.

It's seems to be a known thing on the GTI PP mk7.5.
Not kept up with the GPF on the VW Golfs. Last I heard was that the R still hadnt gone through testing and cars were being stored until testing in early 2019. Can't comment on the GTI PP.

So may be the cause is the new DSG 7 speed software as mentioned earlier.

Got me wondering if I'd have been happier with the 6 spd with upshift crack and slightly better sub 6 sec 0-62... ( I know that with the latter in reality I wouldn't notice)

Liam Willingale

Oct 8, 2018
Within reason, yes. It’s easy to get pops, crackles and bangs with engine in Cupra and gearbox in sport or manual (less so if engine in Sport only)

I’ll try to summarise what I’ve found so far:

• DSG farts at top rpm in Sport but not as much in Manual

• Pop and crackles on overrun on sport/manual but easier in manual as you can hold the rpm at around 3500-4000 and let off without it jumping into 3rd on its own

• 1st gear and 2nd gear held in manual at 3500-4000rpm always gets pops and crackles and when warm bangs (not gunshot bangs, but bangs nonetheless)

As for res-delete, because it’s a lease car I’m paranoid that I’ll be the poor b’stard that has an entirely unrelated engine or turbo problem and SEAT UK refuse warranty and VWFS make me pay off the contract at that point in time and then remove the car…which they can do.

As an experiment, I also found that if you drive sensibly with the engine in eco mode (so DSG reverts to ECO) I can get 40mpg from my 30 minute commute to a from work on A and B roads – all other modes seem to sit at about 28mpg. I never ever thought I’d make mpg comments about a performance car as I’m not bothered about chasing numbers but thought I’d drive it like a ‘normal’ person and in ECO for one tank to see what happens. When you look at the full to empty average, it’s actually only 33mpg in ECO vs 27mpg in all others. It barely seemed worth driving like my Nan for an extra 5mpg!!!

A few points as I’m clueless.

Is eco mode just comfort or is it another setting you need to adjust?

When you say manual do you mean just using the paddle shifts or something else?

How do you put the gearbox in sport while in Cupra mode I focused setting only?

Sorry for the **** questions

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
A few points as I’m clueless.

Is eco mode just comfort or is it another setting you need to adjust?

When you say manual do you mean just using the paddle shifts or something else?

How do you put the gearbox in sport while in Cupra mode I focused setting only?

Sorry for the **** questions

Nothing wrong with those questions. I posted this earlier back when this thread was only in the 300 pages haha...

Its not as straight forward as it seems. Can’t comment on the manual, but on the DSG car, the ‘engine’ mode determines the gearbox mode. In reality the different engine modes make no difference to power. It’s all about throttle response and how it works with the gearbox.

So economical mode is just ‘D/Drive’ but it drops out of gear when you lift off the throttle. It re-engages when you touch either the brake pedal or accelerator.

Normal/Comfort, is just the normal engine throttle response and ‘D/Drive’.

Sport, puts the gearbox into sport mode, turns up the actuator and I suspect it also changes the throttle mapping to be more responsive.

If you’re in comfort mode and knock the gearbox into sport, it effectively turns the engine into this mode but leaves everything else in comfort (suspension etc).

Equally in sport mode if you knock the gearbox into ‘D/Drive’, the engine and gearbox go into Comfort mode and everything else stays in sport.

In Cupra mode the engine and gearbox are setup in sport, Actuator goes into ridiculous mode, throttle response is improved, and because of the way the gearbox and engine mapping is setup you get the lift of pops etc.

Individual mode depends on your settings obviously:

If set to economical.
D = Economical, S = Sport

If set to comfort or Sport
D = Drive/Comfort, S = Sport

If set to Cupra
D= Drive/Comfort, S = Cupra

I hope that is now as clear as mud to you all! LOL

Reactions: Paul1979 and Rob66

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Does anyone know the part number for the facelift Cupra ST Black line Seat front badge (in black colour) AND the part number for the rear lid handle (Seat logo handle) in black colour?

I'm trying to go for a fully black all around Cupra ST 300 4drive. Going to get them fitted at the dealers before I get mine. It has copper ones from factory.

I don't know the part number, but you can get black decals to cover the SEAT badge on Amazon UK .search Cupra (not sure if they cover the entire logo though).

malhire

Nov 26, 2018
Blyth, Northumberland
I went from a 2.0 audi a3 to a cupra 280. Fuel wise depends on how heavy your foot is. I was spending about 180 a month on fuel. 70 miles a day for work!!!! Now im spending in excess of £300 in fuel. Also it's 99 ron .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I only do 22 miles per day for work, fill up 2 - 3 times in the GTD per month around £55 per tank, but that depends on what else I do instead of the commute. Haven’t bought this car to save money though so expecting to be spending a fair amount more on fuel.

AlexOS

I’ve just been looking at the setting on my Cupra ST and notices that the FIRST service interval is 20000 miles or 708 days..

shouldn’t the first inspection service be in a couple of thousand and major after about 12k??

I know I’m paying for a maintained contract but ffs!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.