Blower resistor

tonks19822014

Nov 23, 2018
My blower has stopped working. I took my car to halfords, they checked my fuses and said my cars blower doesn't have a resistor and the blower is away.

I took my car to a garage and they said the blower needs replaced and so does my resistor. I was quoted £224.

I took the undercover on passanger side and glove compartment out as well as following youtube tuts but I couldnt find the resistor.

Does the seat altea xl have a blower resistor and where is it located?

Thanks

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Welcome aboard :wave:

Any idea how many different versions of the Altea (XL) have been produced between 2003-2015?
At least a hint about the modelyear (when was your car built? before/after 2009?) and the equipment (simple aircon or climatronic?) would be helpful when requesting specific advice.
Do you own a properly set of user/operating manual(s) for this car?

With the semi automatic aircon (3 knobs) there should be a pre-resistor sitting under the glove department, where an additional cover must be removed to show a white(?) plug (flat contact housing, connecting part, series resistor, 4 pin, replacement part was ~30€ some years ago).

If your car came with a climatronic, then there will be no resistor involved, as the blower will be controlled by the climate's ECU.

You might check whether one of the heated washer jets burnt through (odor sample), plus make sure the fuse #13 (5 Amp. on left side of dash panel) is ok.

(all infos collected & borrowed from a German board)

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
Hi all, I’ve just had a blower related issue this evening, mines a 57plate Xl
It has duel climate control econ
Fan not blowing, controls working and can hear flaps inside opening and closing as different modes selected.
When driving I can feel heat from the window demister but no air

I’m going on the assumption the fan has gone

Anyone point me to ideas before I look at the fan under the glove box this weekend?

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
... It has duel climate control econ ... I’m going on the assumption the fan has gone
Why's that? Sounds to me like being probably the same issue with the pre-resistor as described above.

To make sure we're talking about the same aircon version, this is the one that holds a pre-resisitor:
climatic.jpg

btw. "57plate" to me is a very british term, what's the corresponding model year?

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
ah, ok ... so it's a climatronic ... and your Altea dates back before 2009, when facelifting changed the interior.

So unfortunately the wrong guess with the pre-resistor causing trouble. :( :think:

I've read about issues with the temperature sensor on the evaporator causing very little airflow, even if the blower is set to max.

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
W
ah, ok ... so it's a climatronic ... and your Altea dates back before 2009, when facelifting changed the interior.

So unfortunately the wrong guess with the pre-resistor causing trouble. :( :think:

I've read about issues with the temperature sensor on the evaporator causing very little airflow, even if the blower is set to max.

Where would this be located?

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
To cut a long story short: Take your car to the garage and have a diagnostic scan (2c-climatronic should be monitored, other than the climatic).
Otherwise there is too much guessing involved when it comes to influences with today's electronic control units and sensors.

Good luck.

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
Well I sorted the problem, under the glove box I unplugged the connectors one by one to find out if I have 12v going to them and when I re plugged them in, the blower started to work again

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members