Fuel consumption

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys

Got my14 leon fr diesel fully serviced on the weekend, filled up the tank and noticed that the fuel consumption has dropped from average 51mpg to just shy of 45. I haven’t changed the way I drive nor have the journeys been any different.
Any advice guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
This could probably be down to a drop in ambient temperature. Have u noticed that recently its colder near u?
I usually get about a 10% loss in mpg in the winter when compared to the summer.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Do you mean the long term mpg, since refuel or since start?

The first one will be impacted by the service itself, if the car was left idling for long periods.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Filling stations will now be selling winter formulation diesel fuel (prevents the fuel ‘waxing’ in the car’s fuel lines in really cold weather). Winter diesel isn’t as efficient as normal diesel, so is likely to be contributing to your reduction in mpg.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Do you mean the long term mpg, since refuel or since start?

The first one will be impacted by the service itself, if the car was left idling for long periods.

The mpg since refuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Oh hello, I thought it was in my mind too! Please see here: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ice-ibiza-1-0-ecotsi-dsg.447401/#post-4812911

Some say it's the ECU reset, some say it's a WLTP software upgrade, some say is changing the oil properties (my case, it was long life to normal service oil, from Castrol, to Texaco oil). My experience is, despite the 'lower' mpg claimed by the trip computer, I can still do the same approx amount per tank of fuel. Me thinks, it's not the winter fuel, as my service was mid-winter...and it was blantantly obvious that it read 'lower'after the service...

Last edited:

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Winter diesel.

The UK differentiates diesel fuel into Summer and Winter Fuel. Distribution of winter diesel in the UK starts in November and ends in March. Summer Diesel "waxes" at -5 whereas Winter Diesel "waxes" at -15. Winter Diesel has a different chemical composition to Summer Diesel, one difference being lower sulfur content. This can result in around 5% less energy, the lesser the energy the lower the MPG.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.