A LEON FR tdi or the equivalent A3??

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
I’m not sure as to whether I am asking in the right place for an unbiased answer but here goes.....

I’ve pretty well always had VAG cars my loyalty is to VAG rather than to any of the individual brands and I’ve had VW’s,Audi’s,SEAT’s and Skoda’s infact numerous of each.

I’ve currently got a nearly new (Aug18) Mk 7.5 Golf R in Lapis Blue on 19inch Pretorias so quite a hard act to follow. However I am leasing in conjunction with my job and I am about to move on to a firm with no car leasing arrangements but more salary. So whilst I’ve already left my previous employment I am able to retain the Golf until the beginning of February. It does mean however that I’ve got to be in another car by no later than end of January.

I will be buying and running the next car myself (from taxed salary) so firstly it’ll be used and secondly it’ll be diesel. I want reasonable performance but am balancing this against running costs. Eventually I intend to also get a toy to live in the garage but that’s likely 12 months away.

I want VAG (obviously) and size wise MQB. I’ve ruled out another Golf directly after the R as a used GTD or 2.0 tdi Sport will feel inferior also I’m not that taken with the current Octavia (had a mk1 Octy 1.9tdi years ago and loved it). This leaves a LEON FR tdi (150 or 184) or an A3 (probably limited to 150 as I understand the 184 is only sold as a Quattro).

I’ve driven both versions of the LEON and concluded that the 150 is more than adequate and is more readily available in greater numbers with more spec and in any event the tinkerer in me would probably remap in due course not because it needs it but because I can. I was pretty much set on looking for an approximately 3/4 year old LEON FR. I then began to think about the A3. I’d be looking at a 150 5 door in Sport or S-Line trim and they seem to be similarly priced. All other things aside the Audi is a nicer place to be inside.

Am I missing anything? And does anyone have any experience of this quandary and if so what conclusions did you come to?

To all who are still awake thanks for reading this far.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
And does anyone have any experience of this quandary and if so what conclusions did you come to?

I looked at 3dr A3 184's when buying mine. They were super rare but they were out there. You get 2wd and quattro models. The quattro is only available with the DSG. I was looking at the 2wd models.

Unfortunately they fell into 2 camps. The desirable S line models were well above my budget and the affordable 'sport' spec cars were relatively basic compared to a Leon FR. I went and viewed one A3 184 sport in white. I soon as I saw it in the flesh I just walked away. It looked like a cheap fridge freezer.

The only reason for maybe considering the A3 over the Leon was come trade in time in 3 years the A3 might have held onto it value better, but then that would have been 3 years driving about in a car I didn't like just to save a few quid.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Imho the vast majority of audis need to be at least an s line spec before before they start to look anything. I just think anything other than an s line looks very very basic and that's where you'd be better off in the higher spec leon for the same sort of money.

That's just my opinion and maybe I can be a bit snobby with cars but I like sporty looks and despite the name, the a3 sport doesn't look the slightest bit sporty, especially compared with the fr.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Thanks for the replies. I have test driven a few cars this week and today. A3’s best feature is definitely its interior 2-3 steps up from the Leon. However I prefer everything else about the Leon!

Considering it’s on the same floorpan it’s body control is far better and infact it is dynamically superior in my opinion.

Also I have been able to compare the 150/184 bhp differences and I was originally drawn to the 150 given more choices and perceived similar performance. Well I have to say my mind is changed the 184 feels stronger than an additional 34bhp would suggest.

So I have decided (1)Leon, (2)184bhp (3)dsg
Just got to find one now.

Reactions: Jaco2k

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
The Octavia really is a bit bigger than i need added to the fact that I am not that keen on it’s shape.

I feel that the current Leon is the best looking of the MQB cars(well maybe the RS3 or TTRS although both are out of my budget)

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
The Octavia really is a bit bigger than i need added to the fact that I am not that keen on it’s shape.

I feel that the current Leon is the best looking of the MQB cars(well maybe the RS3 or TTRS although both are out of my budget)

Oh, I do get you - how do you think I ended up with a Cupra ;)
It is not a very popular brand here in Finland, and the Cupra is even more rare, so I often get people glancing at the car and going "what's that?" ;)

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Also don't forget the 184 Leon has bigger brakes and multi link rear suspension setup over the 150! Can't give you a direct comparison, but, the 184 should give a better more controlled ride, plus more stopping power!

I often see the 184 Fr's with the optional body kit, they look really smart, intact I really wish my Cupra could of been specced with the rear bumper/valance setup!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Have you looked at private leasing? At the moment there are some real bargains due to the motor industry over supply. For me it was cheaper than even buying second hand, once you factor depreciation in.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.