150 bhp or 184 bhp FR?

corkmike

Nov 27, 2018
Hey guys. Just looking for people's advice over my new car. I'm currently driving a 2L 2015 FR 184 bhp. I have it on PCP and the 3 years are up. As most of you probably know the 184 looks like it isn't going to be coming back. My dealer is telling me the new Leon is supposed to be launched some time next year but he doesn't know when. He's telling me to maybe have a look at a 150 bhp. What would your advice be? Would I notice a major difference between the 184 and the 150 or should I hold tough for the new Leon some time next year? Thanks.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Main differences ( apart from power ) are the bigger brakes and independent rear suspension on the 184.

The power can be sorted easily by using a tuning box.

Reactions: corkmike

adamant

May 13, 2014
basically - yes you will notice it, though not in out right acceleration
if found the difference mainly when pulling away - in the 150, I'd have to go from 6th to 5th, in the 184 you can just pull away in 6th
doesn't sound much - but made a difference to me

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I have the 1.4 fr and its a more than capable power plant. I am wanting more, but to the tune of a cupra not just the extra 30. The 1.4 will be cheaper to run and more economical and power can be easily gained back with a remap to get you back up to the 180ish mark whilst still maintaining the cheaper running costs.

As for the bigger brakes and better suspension, I've never noticed my car lacking in either of those departments, not for day to day road use with a quick blast here and there.

Just my opinions but if I were to have to buy another leon that wasn't a cupra I'd still consider the 1.4 or 1.5 now at potentially get a map if I missed the power. I came from a remapped 190bhp Astra Sri cdti so the small petrol took some getting used to but I enjoy working the gears and being able to hang onto to revs for longer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

corkmike

Nov 27, 2018
I love the 184, just seems to always have more when you need it, like a dog getting excited when the lead comes out!

Yep it really is a fab car. I think what I'm going to do know is hang on to what I have and wait and see what the new versions have to offer in the new year.

FR3

Jul 13, 2018
Definitely the 184, like others said, better rear suspension, more power and bigger discs. The difference between the two isnt crazy price wise so def worth getting the 184.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Going down in power causes you to get bored quicker, well it does for me.

Don't be to hooked on bhp alone have alook at the torque figures as this is the pulling power (push back in your seat feeling) just because something has less bhp doesn't always mean it has less torque. More torque can give you the impression of a fast drive.

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
I`ve had a few quick cars and have had my fr184 for 3 years now.It has great torque and I`ve never thought it boring..It`s currently being repaired following an elderly lady tail ending me!I`ve got a BMW 118i M series courtesy car which does`nt come close in performance or equipment level.

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
I have the 150. The engine revs much smoother than the 184 because the turbo-to-engine design is better. The brakes are good and the back suspension is only noticeably different if you force some corners (it will skip more, but you have to push). Bigger brakes and multilink rear sus is better, but would you notice......hmmmn. Other thing is I had the DTUK chip, which I used to love racing GTD's (same engine as 184). So up to you really. I have my 150 remapped now and boy is it smooth, far far smoother than the lumpy 184 of my mates, and 197hp. Choice is yours, but because there are more 150's, I got leather and the nice alloys too (miles more choice). My DTUK chip is for sale too, cheap as chips. But you could also remap the 184, which takes you over 230, but still lumpy, especially at the higher revs. Drive them both and you'll see the difference. Remember to turn the crap soundactor off (184 only), that is embarrassing. The 150 makes a far more balanced sound, if that is what you are looking for.

Lancashire Lad

Mar 6, 2011
Penwortham
www.seatcupra.net
I have the 184 and it certainly isn't lumpy. Also the brakes are definitely noticeable compared to the 150. The 150s knocking about do have lots of extras but they always chuck extras on the weaker cars to help sell them. The 184 engine sells itself..

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
I am not going to argue, having driven both A3 and Leon versions of the 184 many times. The 184 is gutsy but nowhere near as refined as the 150.
Thanks for highlighting the strategy of Audi and Seat, who both sell huge amounts of 150's and few 184's. Makes sense that the weaker models need all the selling help available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
The bigger brakes are better, but I have never faded mine, even with 197hp (that's more than 184ps/181hp if you hadn't noticed). I would like the multilink though, for the bumpy corners.

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
I think the leon MK3 is a massive jump in its' class. It is beautiful, and still has the best shape, lights and wheels. I adore mine (had it 4 years), even though I wanted the 184 first. I am not unhappy at all after trying a chip and then the smoothest remap I have ever had the chance to drive. It really is bliss. I came from an 09 A3 (with the 1.9TDI). That was car 21 for me (others include the UR quattro, many fast fords and even an excellent Morris Minor van)
The older 2.0 TDI's were plagued with issues, whichever turbo you chose. And that is the real difference, turbo size. Diesels don't have waste gates (not practically) so the engine must be matched to the turbo (actually it is vice versa), which is exactly why the very same engine is different in two power ranges (different size turbos). However there were so many design issues with the old one, that the new range of engines were a complete redesign.
I had mine remapped at DRS (Derby) and their map is absolute heaven. So smooth. Another of my work pals has the VRS, which is heavier (estate) and it seems the 184 suits that better. But the MQB A3 and golf seems to be a bit plagued with suspension issues, whereas the Leon just shares the same slight issues in the dampers.

Last edited:

FR3

Jul 13, 2018
Someone posted up a video. I haven't watched it yet but thought this would be useful lol.

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
Someone posted up a video. I haven't watched it yet but thought this would be useful lol.

It is a petrol version. Don't know much about them really but the 150ps 1.4 always seems interesting. The thing I like about diesels is that you can have mega push (high torque) in town and elsewhere without looking like a boy racer revving the backside out of the car.
However, as with most stuff, it is whatever tickles your fancy/ floats your boat.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Just my personal experience. I test drove a 150 one day, then the following day drove the 184, so almost back to back. I bought the 184. Solid powerful engine (not sure where people are getting lumpy from), handles lovely, and feels very refined. Also returns 60+ mpg on a sensible run. Having had the 184 now, I couldn't have a 150.

FR3

Jul 13, 2018
Just my personal experience. I test drove a 150 one day, then the following day drove the 184, so almost back to back. I bought the 184. Solid powerful engine (not sure where people are getting lumpy from), handles lovely, and feels very refined. Also returns 60+ mpg on a sensible run. Having had the 184 now, I couldn't have a 150.
I'm guessing this is the diesal? I have the petrol 1.8 and the best I've ever got is 43mpg. And that was smooth motorway driving and coasting everywhere ha. Long term avg is about 34mpg.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I'm guessing this is the diesal? I have the petrol 1.8 and the best I've ever got is 43mpg. And that was smooth motorway driving and coasting everywhere ha. Long term avg is about 34mpg.

Yes mine is diesel. I am probably more suited to the 1.8 petrol as I don't do many miles, but the running costs of the diesel lured me in! My normal average is probably between 50-55mpg, but I regularly see around 62mpg on a 2 hour drive to see the family which is mostly motorway.
I am quite surprised by your average, I assumed it would be higher. Maybe worth upgrading to a Cupra for not much less economy?!

FR3

Jul 13, 2018
Yes mine is diesel. I am probably more suited to the 1.8 petrol as I don't do many miles, but the running costs of the diesel lured me in! My normal average is probably between 50-55mpg, but I regularly see around 62mpg on a 2 hour drive to see the family which is mostly motorway.
I am quite surprised by your average, I assumed it would be higher. Maybe worth upgrading to a Cupra for not much less economy?!
Only just got the FR and financially it made the most sense for me. I'm pretty happy but my only regret is I should've got a diesal or the manual petrol at least. Dsg petrol can only be pushed to 220bhp due to its clutch/gearbox :(.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.