PD170 Stuttering Problem Solved

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Thanks will, just an update i drove it last nite and this morning upto about 4/4500 rpm and there was no stuttering last or this morning???

Im going to contact my turner tomorrow with what you've mentioned and see if i can get it sorted.

I found the only way I could replicate the problem when I had this "judder/stutter" was to go along a dual carriageway at a reasonable speed and just drop a gear and floor it, that causing the revs to shoot up and hit the boost limit.
If it hits the limiter it will make that stutter/judder.

However please keep this within reasonable limits, don't drop from 6th to 3rd for example!!!
Don't blame me for blowing your engine ^^

Hope this helps
Will

holmefield

Forever messing with cars
Oct 20, 2013
Well my new small hole gasket arrived from Sere yesterday, so if the weather holds off I'll fit it this weekend. Its going back to my tuner next week as Shark have rewritten my stage2 map to let the boost not hit the limiter!!!

I should have asked for a bit more bhp as I had it mot'ed on monday so could have let itbe a bit more smokey!!!

Hey, apologies, but I'm strapped for time to search (busy at work :D) - Is there a guide to stripping and rebuilding the EGR on the Mk2 FR?

My mate's got an ultrasonic cleaning bath so was planning on stripping cleaning and rebuilding it with the new smaller hole gasket.

Also on my Mk4 Ibiza there were issues for some stripping and rebuilding it because of the ASV (can't remember the details) is there anything to look out for here?

optim8

Well my new small hole gasket arrived from Sere yesterday, so if the weather holds off I'll fit it this weekend. Its going back to my tuner next week as Shark have rewritten my stage2 map to let the boost not hit the limiter!!!

I should have asked for a bit more bhp as I had it mot'ed on monday so could have let itbe a bit more smokey!!!

I've my gasket fitted for about 2 months now. When I first did it the car was rough as for about a day but since then been a lot better. Best £2 I've ever spent on the car!!

Only issues I have now is after about a weeks Town driving the DPF is clogging up regardless on how I drive. Take it for a scream down the motorway for 20 mins and it runs better than ever until the next week!!! Really considering the DPF delete but what's Mr MOT going to say once the DPF check comes in. Crazy as I'm sure I'm polluting the environment even more driving on the motorway each week when I don't need to and I bet I'm using more fuel when it starts to clog up!!

Had a 03 TDi Focus before the Leon and had 5 years trouble free motoring, those were he days!!

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
so today, for a change, i was early for work, was cruising at 70. pulled out to overtake a wagon and accelerated a bit, it felt like the power was being delivered in 1 second bursts. are these the same symptoms? anyone reckon the new wee valve will sort it?

cheers for any advice

holmefield

Oct 20, 2013
so today, for a change, i was early for work, was cruising at 70. pulled out to overtake a wagon and accelerated a bit, it felt like the power was being delivered in 1 second bursts. are these the same symptoms? anyone reckon the new wee valve will sort it?

cheers for any advice

Yep that's the symptoms alright.....not sure whether the gasket will solve it, I had my shark stage 2 map tweaked and its not happened again...

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
Yep that's the symptoms alright.....not sure whether the gasket will solve it, I had my shark stage 2 map tweaked and its not happened again...

far as i know, mines is stock, so i'll give it a punt, may as well for the sake of 3 quid.

completely unrelated bud, but there's a dude on here (scottish lad) that wrapped his scuttle panel while it was on the car, buggered if i can remember his name though. think it's a blue cupra he drives, he might be able to guide you around wrapping yours.

holmefield

Oct 20, 2013
far as i know, mines is stock, so i'll give it a punt, may as well for the sake of 3 quid.

completely unrelated bud, but there's a dude on here (scottish lad) that wrapped his scuttle panel while it was on the car, buggered if i can remember his name though. think it's a blue cupra he drives, he might be able to guide you around wrapping yours.

Cool...cheers I'll have a nosey on here for it.

corf

Hi All,

I have an altea xl 170 no mods still with the dpf. I have had the same stuttering at low revs as others have reported. I originally cleaned the egr valve and replaced the gasket with a standard gasket and still had the problem. I contacted Dave at Sere and ordered the gasket with the smaller hole, I can't believe the difference. The car feels so smooth through the range and has no stuttering issues at low revs as of yet. I have only done 200 miles but all feels great. Well worth it. Thanks to Dave at Sere.

richman711

Feb 1, 2014
Hi guys

Not sure if any one could give some advice, ive got a mk1 pd150 that would stutter with throttle change below 2000rpm, so I fitted the new gasket at the joint where it goes into the anti stutter valve. Stutter gone but after 50 miles the eml light came on, I suspect its noticed I have reduced the egr flow, any advice?

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Check the code stored to find out the cause of the EML. If it is EGR flow related, just get an EGR delete and/or have the EGR mapped out

Sep 27, 2007
I ran this plate with small hole since October, and now the EGR has bunged up on the inside of the plate, seems to have made it worse?. Just fiited a cleaned EGR and its smooth on tick over but the hesitation is back until warm, so might re-fit the plate. Hate these things !

Jacey Boy

Mar 10, 2004
Bournemouth, Dorset
I think we have this stutter on our 2007/57 FR TDi, has covered 36,000 miles, and I've just had the DPF removed but had this stutter before that, I will give this plate a go and hope that cures it....

corf

It solved all of my problems (touch wood). I have had mine in for around 4 months. I do get a low flow reading on a fault code check though. You do realise that getting rid of your dpf is an MOT failure. It was brought in this year :/

TIIIJGG

May 11, 2007
Yorks
www.carzwanted.co.uk
Sorry to bring this post up after so many years :)

Im starting to have the dreaded stuttering problem with my leon 170pd, im wanting to give the egr kit with small hole a go however i cannot seem to find them on ebay...

For you guys was the stuttering intermittent or did it do it all the time... mine seems to be intermittent however recently it has got a little worse

any advice appreciated folks

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
Sorry to bring this post up after so many years :)

Im starting to have the dreaded stuttering problem with my leon 170pd, im wanting to give the egr kit with small hole a go however i cannot seem to find them on ebay...

For you guys was the stuttering intermittent or did it do it all the time... mine seems to be intermittent however recently it has got a little worse

any advice appreciated folks

Look at the original post. It has the part number to get from a dealer. All it is, is a gasket.