mk4 ibiza double din?

Ferryman

1.8T Goes Like Hell
Oct 23, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Damn it :doh:

I must say that Ibiza probably has the worst designed dashboard center part ever... atleast when it comes to installing non OEM double din size head unit.

Like someone said before, the dashboard center trim piece (around head unit, storage compartment and climatronic panel) needs some cutting before there is even enough clearance to fit a double din size unit in. The "guide" rails of the storage compartment need to be cutted away.

The second problem I noticed is the Climatronic front bezel, which seems to be a bit convex.
Otherwise the Pioneer facia would be a perfect fit, but because of this it looks plain silly.

Has anyone found a double din mounting kit for Ibiza which would have a facia with slightly thicker bottom end?

Maybe the easiest way is just to warm up the excisting facia and bend it a bit.
Atleast the cheapest it is :D

rxbvn

Jun 17, 2015
I've just bought a mk4 and want to get a double din unit, not bothered if it's a box unit or otherwise basically just want rid of the single din and storage and somewhere I can hook my phone up to.

First I should state this is my first car and I have no history of modding. I'm a 24 y/o girl and although i've actually become more knowledgeable about cars than I ever thought possible and i'm quite crafty - i'm having a hard time getting to grips with the best way to go about getting this done.

I really, really don't want to pay a huge amount to get it done at a mod shop, halfords etc seem like they won't touch it from this thread. Additionally i'm anxious to even ask any mod place to do it because they'll take one look at me and try and charge me extra.

Being realistic, is this something I could attempt to do myself with a fascia, tweezers and willpower?

TL;DR - Noob girl wants fascia but doesn't want to pay modder to get it fitted.

bobski

Jan 1, 2014
It's very easy to get a double din unit & fit it yourself, if you search you should be able to find a guide which takes you through the steps.

It basically involves removing the front fascia with some screws, then trimming a part of it off as well as part of the rear when the wires go, then putting in the cage & done.

If I find the guide I will post

rxbvn

Jun 17, 2015
It's very easy to get a double din unit & fit it yourself, if you search you should be able to find a guide which takes you through the steps.

It basically involves removing the front fascia with some screws, then trimming a part of it off as well as part of the rear when the wires go, then putting in the cage & done.

If I find the guide I will post

Will have a look today, thanks for the info.:D

bobski

Jan 1, 2014
These are the 2 threads I had used to install mine:

showthread.php?t=323882

showthread.php?t=356674

Won't allow me to post links yet

The second one had some really good pictures of what to do/make it look like but they no longer work [:@] but the instructions should help you.

I just had mine out to install the microphone otherwise I could have taken the photos of it

Big Tony

Sep 20, 2018
Can someone please provide a photo of the bit that needs to be ground out, I dremelled the surround and had a guy come out and fit the double din but it doesn't sit deep enougj, thanks

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Can someone please provide a photo of the bit that needs to be ground out, I dremelled the surround and had a guy come out and fit the double din but it doesn't sit deep enougj, thanks

I haven't a photo but if you slide the unit out, and feel with your hands where the centre would have been between the two single DIN sections, on each side there's a supporting bit of plastic... I didn't cut mine I just got some sand paper and smoothed it down. It's also worth mentioning for longer HU's it's a bit tight at the back, you sort of have to tuck the wiring down to make room for it to slide all the way back.