Remap Prep - 90k Miles

baconjamie

Sep 21, 2018
Hi,

I'm looking at remapping my MK2 Cupra. The car has done 92k miles; looking at the owner history and all the receipts I received with the car (Along with coincidental stuff) the car seems to have had an easy life.

Anyway, I'm prepping the car for Stage 2+ (Stage 3 onwards in the future hopefully) and I've bought (NOT FITTED YET) the following bits:
  1. HPFP Intenals
  2. RS4 Return Valve
  3. Intake Kit
  4. High Flow Cat
  5. Catback
Now, thats all well and good, and following most guides that's all I'll need for Stage 2+. But this is where the 90k+ Miles comes in, I am wanting to make sure the engine is solid and can survive all of this, so I am replacing and preparing various parts before going for the remap. So far I have replaced very few things, hopefully, someone on here can provide some advice for what else I should look at changing. Here is what I have changed and I will mark (*) parts I have thought of changing

1. DV Valve (Update to the latest revision)
  2. PCV*
  3. Clutch (This is pretty much a given, gotta get an uprated clutch)
  4. Flywheel*
  5. Oil (Oil was changed 3k ago, so its fine for now, will be putting fresh oil in after remap)
  6. Transmission Fluid*
  7. Engine Mounts (Is this necessary?)
  8. Tyre Width (Wider tyres with spacers, Is this any good?)
  9. Breaks (Getting uprated breaks)
  10. Suspension*
Now, this is my first big change to the car, it currently runs fine, has no engine codes or any issues. I will be taking it to R-Tech (Or Revo, but probably R-Tech).

Any advice on remapping a high mileage car is welcome, and call me weird if im going over the top. Thanks.

TL:DR :
Remapping my 92k miles Stock Cupra, what engine components should I change for safety/peace of mind.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Shame you didn't change flywheel with clutch as it is the same labour.

I would also consider a carbon clean at that mileage. Would also look at ignition coils and spark plugs and when they were last changed.

You need some decent tyres, not sure if wider is better

Reactions: baconjamie

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
As above, at that mileage, flywheel would be worth changing. Also, I'm only at 45k and I'm looking at getting a carbon clean (coincidentally also at r-tech - you should look at their injector/carbon package before remap).

I'd def do pcv to revision R. Engine mounts, I did mine for 2+. I have all 3, and vibratechnics which I'd strongly recommend as I have 0 vibration / noise from them. Brakes, if your looking value for money, look at the Vibratechnics packages. Bout half the price of other aftermarket packages and I'm really pleased with mine.

Finally suspension. I've just had pro-street-s coilovers fitted. Much better than the h&r lowering springs and didn't break the bank.

Also, I can't see intercooler on the list. It's well worth adding, especially if you want to go stage 3 eventually. Again, look at r-techs wellycooler option! I went Stage 2 and thought meh, I don't need it. But car was pulling timing all through summer last year. But was really impressive this year with new intercooler.

Reactions: baconjamie

baconjamie

Sep 21, 2018
Just an update, I haven't changed the clutch yet; a bit of a typo on my half.

I'll do the flywheel and clutch at the same time.

RnPnJ

Apr 3, 2015
As mentioned above it's worth having the inlet valves cleaned and injectors tested.
Also get a fmic put onto your list.
In terms of reliability I'd have the cam chain tensioner done for piece if mind also drop the sump and oil pick up replaced.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.