Additives, toothbrush or flooring it?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Give us an update pal on the benefits of any.

Sent from my Z2 using Tapatalk
Just on first fill with the Diesel Rhino additive, I'll see if the mpg improves. One thing I noticed this morning (could be due any number of other things though) is that I've recently been having limp mode triggered in 4th/5th gear under heavy acceleration and this morning towards the end of my run to work on a nice open stretch it accelerated nice and smoothly.

Reactions: supersticky

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Just on first fill with the Diesel Rhino additive, I'll see if the mpg improves. One thing I noticed this morning (could be due any number of other things though) is that I've recently been having limp mode triggered in 4th/5th gear under heavy acceleration and this morning towards the end of my run to work on a nice open stretch it accelerated nice and smoothly.
i just ordered hydra for my petrol 1.4, ill report on this as well=

andymc

Mar 20, 2017
Issue with getting things clean is that the egr causes build up on the inlet tract and no additive will remove that. Best way to keep things clean , disable egr so the inlet doesn’t get clogged up, take manifold off and clean as best as possible and delete egr from the map. Getting the carbon off of the inlet ports on the head is a challenge , I’ve spent an hour with a karcher getting them off in the garden so cleaning in place is not truly possible imho, even if you think you can get into it you risk bits of carbon dropping through valve into piston which isn’t good, maybe one of these carbon cleans would help but I’m not convinced tbh, that’s my 2 cents

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Finished first tank of Shell diesel with Diesel Rhino additive and noticed no difference at all with MPG. Not sure if it's really running any better either, still triggering limp mode in 4th occasionally but I think I've changed my driving rather than the additive helping out there. I'll see if anything changes as I use up the bottle with each refuelling (10 treatments altogether I think). As for the limp mode I'll be doing the Mr Muscle trick again (worked last time) and make sure the actuator is still moving freely next time I'm under the car.

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Thanks for the info peeps much appreciated, I've mapped out my egr but haven't blanked it yet, Question: is blanking all I need to do now?

Sent from my Z2 using Tapatalk

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Finished first tank of Shell diesel with Diesel Rhino additive and noticed no difference at all with MPG. Not sure if it's really running any better either, still triggering limp mode in 4th occasionally but I think I've changed my driving rather than the additive helping out there. I'll see if anything changes as I use up the bottle with each refuelling (10 treatments altogether I think). As for the limp mode I'll be doing the Mr Muscle trick again (worked last time) and make sure the actuator is still moving freely next time I'm under the car.

ive used hydra once, but filled up around four times since. i plan on using it twice this month, but im not using for every fill up as i initially want to be able to notice a difference - if there is one.
the day after i filled up with hydra, i went to the evo triangle so pretty much used 3/4 of a tank on my travels but my MPG was amazing since i did minimal braking throughout that whole journey. most of my driving is city driving so my MPG has dropped since the triangle day. ill keep you updated if i notice anything different

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
i have a question about fuel additives. they always instruct adding them to the tank while refuelling. would it make a difference if you put it in at home and then drove to the petrol station?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
It's about getting it mixed right with your fuel.

If you added it at home to a low tank the ratio of additive to fuel would be very high. By pouring in the additive to a low tank at the station then filling the tank up with fuel, you're not only getting the ratio right but your also getting it mixed in well.

Think of it like making a glass of cordial :)

Reactions: kanyewest
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.