Winter tyres?

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
Just bought a set of brand new 18’’ winter alloys and Nexen Winguard 2 for my ST 4drive. Cost £730 for the full set fitted, balanced and delivered. They’re going on today and will be taken off when the temperature rises. Did plenty of research and went for 18/235/40 instead of current 19/235/35. Willtheyfit.com says they’re a perfect fit. They’re also a perfect match for offset and central bore (57.1)
i tend to keep my winters on all year round tbh, never had an issue and the ride much better than on 19s

Liam

ST 300 4 drive plus nexen winters = unstoppable!!!!
I certainly hope so! I’ve only had them on for a short drive so can’t really comment on the ride as of yet but I suspect it will be slightly better with a higher profile.

Attachments

• 44B79353-BF4F-47BC-BBC3-B0ABE115461F.jpeg
    44B79353-BF4F-47BC-BBC3-B0ABE115461F.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
After watching the video MarkTDI posted about the Michelin Cross Climate Plus tyres, and reading lots of reviews, I decided to get a set.

Got them fitted yesterday, there was an offer on and I got all 4 tyres fully fitted for £380 on FR 17's.

After driving all day on them, I can confirm they are considerably quieter than the Cinturato P7's that were fitted. They also seem to offer a slightly softer ride, the same bumps and drains I always drive over are slightly less harsh now.

Yesterday was very mild and so cant comment on cold temperature performance. But so far, I might have just found the last tyres I will be owning for a few years to come!

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I hope this necro bump is fine, if not lock it :).

Anyone running winter tyres on their standard Cupra 19" wheels? Thinking of skipping an additional set of wheels and just get winter tyres.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I suppose that part of the plan for anyone having 19" wheels with summer tyres on is to protect these wheels from winter ravages, and get a smaller size of wheels for winter only use and so having a narrower and higher tyre. I've been running winter and summer tyres for many years, and if you can handle storing the extra set of wheels, then what you are doing is always making sure that you have summer optimised tyres for use in summer and winter optimised tyres for use in winter, anything else can only be a compromise. Though if you live where that is not an issue, maybe all seasons tyres is what you should aim for, or do what lots of people do and try to stay lucky and use summer tyres all year round.

Reactions: Zer0

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Running Michelin multi season tyres on my ST all year. They are so much better in the cold and damp than summer tyres, not had any snow since I put them on

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Running Michelin multi season tyres on my ST all year. They are so much better in the cold and damp than summer tyres, not had any snow since I put them on

My daughter ran all-season tyres on her last Ibiza, it had 17" rims so no Crossclimate option there, I ordered in Kleber Quadrazer in from Mytyres, she was happy enough with them over the following 2 years. The issue with her new Leon Cupra is, I suggested that she bought a second set of smaller wheels as I felt that she needed to be best prepared to keep out of trouble and moving in winter and these Cupras come with one of the best summer tyres which is also one of the worst winter tyres.

Edit:- probably in the interests of lowering emissions standard tyres have evolved into summer only tyres, that might suit the majority of drivers in Europe especially in areas that mandate the use of winter tyres in adverse conditions, but for some others, it leaves them floundering a bit in winter.

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
My daughter ran all-season tyres on her last Ibiza, it had 17" rims so no Crossclimate option there, I ordered in Kleber Quadrazer in from Mytyres, she was happy enough with them over the following 2 years. The issue with her new Leon Cupra is, I suggested that she bought a second set of smaller wheels as I felt that she needed to be best prepared to keep out of trouble and moving in winter and these Cupras come with one of the best summer tyres which is also one of the worst winter tyres.

Edit:- probably in the interests of lowering emissions standard tyres have evolved into summer only tyres, that might suit the majority of drivers in Europe especially in areas that mandate the use of winter tyres in adverse conditions, but for some others, it leaves them floundering a bit in winter.

The Kleber Quadraxer are brilliant in snow and excellent value, I had them on a previous car. I'm ordering some CrossClimate's today for my FR, there's still £40 off 4 at Blackcircles so £400 fitted.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have had Michelin CrossClimates fitted to my TDI 184 since last December. Although we had no snow last winter, they felt very good and gripper in the colder temperatures. All through summer, they have been fine for when I have had a spirited drive too. When the fronts get low, I will definitely be putting the same on again.

Reactions: Kinetic
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.