Cupra r cutting out PLEASE HELP!

Ryanwitchell

Dec 24, 2018
Hi.

Had a cupra r for the past 4 months.

Changed a coil pack and has this intermittent problem since.

Car drives fine, hits 22psi according to my boost gauge and holds boost fine. But every now and again with no warning the car dies. The TCS EML and EPS light all cone on, just as the car dies. When it dies I have no power steering or assisted brakes either.

If I try to start the car immediately, it won't start, the fuel pump gets no power and there is also no power over fuse 28. The relay has been tested and is fine. I have cleaned the grounds under the battery.

If I let the engine cool for about 20 minutes it normally starts up fine, and I have no fault codes stored at all.

This happens every 100-750 miles, and is super random, it happened today after driving 2 hours all under 3k revs.

My immediate suspicion is the crank sensor. Of not some other electrical problem. Anyone else have any ideas.

Cheers

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
Crank Position Sensor was my first guess from the title. Had to do mine a couple of weeks ago due to random cut outs and failure to restart. I have had the car for nigh on 50k now and had everything from fuel pumps to coil packs go and this was the only thing that caused it to cut out. Its been fine ever since I changed it

How many miles has the car done?

Last edited:

Ryanwitchell

Dec 24, 2018
Crank Position Sensor was my first guess from the title. Had to do mine a couple of weeks ago due to random cut outs and failure to restart. I have had the car for nigh on 50k now and had everything from fuel pumps to coil packs go and this was the only thing that caused it to cut out. Its been fine ever since I changed it

How many miles has the car done?

Car has done 113k

I've got a crankshaft sensor on order, glad I've got a second opinion, I'll be back pudding if it doesn't work.

Cheers :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
My first thought is the fuel pump relay, I know you said it's been tested but sometimes the fault can be intermittant and test out as ok, only to fail later. Unless cash is tight then i would suggest just replacing it to rule it out.
It could well be the crank sensor, but i would have expected a fault code on VCDS if so.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.