Upgrading the infotainment system in a Mk5 Ibiza FR

Matthew

Oct 17, 2017
Hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade my '63 plate Ibiza Toca to something a little sportier - namely a slightly newer, slightly quicker, and better kitted out Ibiza FR.

I've seen a load of potential buys on AutoTrader, but really fancy the larger infotainment system over the smaller touchscreen in a lot of models.

Here's the smaller display I'm on about:

af254c59a96144529ae6c4965317f9b6.jpg

...and the larger system I'd prefer:

seat-leon-update-2015-10.jpg

I'm wondering if I bought a car with the smaller screen, is it as simple as removing the whole unit and replacing it with a larger, second-hand system I could pick up from eBay? Link to an example listing.

Thanks for any advice on the subject - Matt

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
There is an expert on these VW media systems on Briskoda, member-name Rustynuts.

On here member-name Tell on the Ateca forums would be a good one to ask I reckon.

Reactions: Matthew

Matthew

Oct 17, 2017
There is an expert on these VW media systems on Briskoda, member-name Rustynuts.

On here member-name Tell on the Ateca forums would be a good one to ask I reckon.
Thanks camelspyyder - I've contacted Tell and asked if they could check out this post.

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
Hello,

Yes you can upgrade but you need a MIB2 unit and 6.5" or 8.0" screen. But your current glovebox does not have a storage for the unit so it must be changed and also wirings are need to be changed. I can provide fully activated plug and play MIB2 High units for Seat and 8.0" display screen. Please note if the unit is not activated you need to remove component protection in a dealer and then bluetooth, voice command, navigation and full link functions will be disabled. Activation of all these functions after retrofit is hard and dealers do not offer any activation solution for retrofits.

Matthew

Oct 17, 2017
Hello,

Yes you can upgrade but you need a MIB2 unit and 6.5" or 8.0" screen. But your current glovebox does not have a storage for the unit so it must be changed and also wirings are need to be changed. I can provide fully activated plug and play MIB2 High units for Seat and 8.0" display screen. Please note if the unit is not activated you need to remove component protection in a dealer and then bluetooth, voice command, navigation and full link functions will be disabled. Activation of all these functions after retrofit is hard and dealers do not offer any activation solution for retrofits.
Thanks ysfdncr. After messaging a couple of other users, re-enforced by what you've said, it seems a pretty complex process that'd be more hassle than it's worth versus buying a car with the 'correct' infotainment to begin with. Nonetheless I appreciate your input, cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.