Mk2 FR 170 to a Mk3 FR184 not great.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
currently driving a 300, first thing ill be changing is the tyres. general consensus is that continental tyres aren't good enough and michelin ps4 solves that issue. i came from a mk7 golf gtd back to a mk3, i bought a 300 as the 7.5 gti deals were garbage and the R is just massively over priced

NeilMcK

Dec 31, 2007
Central Scotland
Quick Update.

Got the alignment checked at pro-grip in Larbert - great service.

What they found is:

Rear offside - slightly toed-in.
Rear nearside - slightly toed-out.

Front in alignment, except for too much negative caster.

Also, nearside front 6mm lower ride height than offside - no issue with broken spring (maybe the previous owner had a lardy passenger?) - or alignment.

He brought everything back into alignment - which also involved repositioning the front sub-frame slightly.

Took about 90 minutes all in including the gassing about life, the universe and everything.

Results - The suspension is crashy and still not great, but when the car skips it stays straight, so a decent result as it's improved slightly but likely to see further improvements when I ditch the Bridgestone tyres.

So, if you suspect alignment and are in central Scotland, I do recommend pro-grip (no, I didn't get a discount).

At least it's one thing eliminated.

So, on to thinking of damper changes at some point.

As a counterpoint, test drove a new mini cooper s at the weekend (wife's lease is up soon and that;s what she wants) and it was firm, but much more compliant and secure, so to me it shows that Seat haven't got the ride/handling thing sorted properly.

adamant

May 13, 2014
what size wheels you running on?
I had a 150FR diesel running on 18's, now I have a 184 on 17s (these come with fancier suspension)
the 150 felt MUCH more planted

NeilMcK

Dec 31, 2007
Central Scotland
It's a 184 tdi FR, with the Titanium pack - so 18" wheels.

It's also got the independent rear suspension.

Doing a bit of research, Koni STR.T - which replace the FSD might be an option, but not too pricey - Koni state that front & rear can be swapped independently - i.e whole kit not required - I feel the rear is worse than the front.

I think £100 a corner isn't too bad - it already has the slightly lower stiffer springs.

Neil.

Reactions: Compo1

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Mine's the Titanium as it goes.

I'll look into the Koni's ive got to do something to bring the handling up to scratch.

Did a oil and brake fluid change on my mates Scirocco Blue Motion 140 Sunday. Not like for like i know, drove it to make sure the brakes were all good on returning to the Leon i could of kicked it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.