can you help me find out which fuel filter i need?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That's a toughie. Can't say which one... but the fuel filter is usually under the car beneath the fuel tank, so you could do what I did the other morning and hold your phone under there and take a picture. That would at least narrow down the number of pipes.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The trouble used to be that most or all these cars with the 1.2 or 1.4 engine were fitted at the factory with a fuel filter that had a coupled fuel pressure regulator, so all you replaced was the filter itself which fitted both the low pressure regulator or the high pressure regulator.

Now it seems that most filter suppliers have scrapped that idea and now only offer a combined fuel filter with integrated fuel regulator, if you look at the 2nd link you listed, it shows a bare fuel filter with an open end which is where the regulator gets fitted into - then it gets described as a filter with an integrated regulator - that is not correct.

If I were you, after taking a picture of what is fitted to your car, and I'd bet it is a 3 pipe filter that is connected to a fuel regulator, now all you will see is a VW Group P/N for the bare filter and it will probably show 2 P/Ns - but that will still leave you confused. If you are very lucky and someone has replaced that filter for a newer combined filter/regulator then you should be able to use any visible P/N to convert that to which pressure that regulator is set for.

Why not visit a proper filter maker's website, like MANN and you should find better advice as to which you need to buy - I'd scrap any ideas of just keeping it cheap and buying a bare filter as the regulator will be very corroded by now so getting it off the filter assembly and then getting it to seal onto/into a new bare filter will be tricky.

Edit:- still a bit vague, what is your engine code? You might need to get a VW Group part number from an online VW Group parts listing, then convert it to one that ECP sells.

Last edited:

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
The trouble used to be that most or all these cars with the 1.2 or 1.4 engine were fitted at the factory with a fuel filter that had a coupled fuel pressure regulator, so all you replaced was the filter itself which fitted both the low pressure regulator or the high pressure regulator.

Now it seems that most filter suppliers have scrapped that idea and now only offer a combined fuel filter with integrated fuel regulator, if you look at the 2nd link you listed, it shows a bare fuel filter with an open end which is where the regulator gets fitted into - then it gets described as a filter with an integrated regulator - that is not correct.

If I were you, after taking a picture of what is fitted to your car, and I'd bet it is a 3 pipe filter that is connected to a fuel regulator, now all you will see is a VW Group P/N for the bare filter and it will probably show 2 P/Ns - but that will still leave you confused. If you are very lucky and someone has replaced that filter for a newer combined filter/regulator then you should be able to use any visible P/N to convert that to which pressure that regulator is set for.

Why not visit a proper filter maker's website, like MANN and you should find better advice as to which you need to buy - I'd scrap any ideas of just keeping it cheap and buying a bare filter as the regulator will be very corroded by now so getting it off the filter assembly and then getting it to seal onto/into a new bare filter will be tricky.

Edit:- still a bit vague, what is your engine code? You might need to get a VW Group part number from an online VW Group parts listing, then convert it to one that ECP sells.

great advice all round. it was wet today, so no going under the car but i’ll do what you said. is the fuel tank at the back? i assume it’s where you fill up

i used google for assistance for the next bit

You can find the VIN in the lower corner of your windshield on the driver's side. In the series of numbers and letters, the tenth from the left denotes the model year and the eighth is the engine code. Just tell the store clerk those two characters and you're in business.

sixth character is L
eight character is 8

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
great advice all round. it was wet today, so no going under the car but i’ll do what you said. is the fuel tank at the back? i assume it’s where you fill up

Yeah, it's where you fill up. It's also usually pretty close to the edge of the car, you could probably get away with just waving your phone camera underneath. It's not difficult to get to.

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW

engine code is actually BBZ, the full code is BBZ 149247

had a quick look under the car using a torch and my phone yesterday but it all looks either dirty or corroded so i’m gonna wait until i have a chance to get it jacked up and have a proper one

Ibiza_19

Dec 1, 2018
I'm in the same boat as you, same engine code as mine and i need to change the fuel filter. It's definitely a 3 pipe one as i now have a useless 2 pipe one as i didn't check properly (doh!)

Had a look at my filter and took some pics, bad news is that my filter is totally blank so i have a cheapo generic one. The only good news is that it has a number 4 printed on the end so i THINK its a 4bar one. I might be completely wrong. Pics below
20190101_153211.jpg
20190101_153450.jpg

kanyewest let me know if you figure this out. Hope this helps

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I'm in the same boat as you, same engine code as mine and i need to change the fuel filter. It's definitely a 3 pipe one as i now have a useless 2 pipe one as i didn't check properly (doh!)

Had a look at my filter and took some pics, bad news is that my filter is totally blank so i have a cheapo generic one. The only good news is that it has a number 4 printed on the end so i THINK its a 4bar one. I might be completely wrong. Pics below View attachment 3645 View attachment 3646
kanyewest let me know if you figure this out. Hope this helps
yeah i actually found out earlier this afternoon

the OEM part number is: 6Q0 201 051 B

a few places in europe seem to have it for sale, i’m going to have a proper search when i get home tonight

Last edited:

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I purchased the part 6Q0 201 051 B and i had it fitted yesterday along with a new battery, air filter (engine, not cabin) and a new brake light switch.
the difference is acutally staggering and i cant believe i was driving with what now appears to be a hugely clogged up fuel filter. accelation is almost instantaneous now! my smiles turned into laughter and its really is like ive upgraded the car somehow. im kinda hoping this will have a positive effect on my MPG but even if it stays the same at least my driving experienec is better.
the downside is that following gear changes my car occasinally jerks. i guess i adjusted my driving style to compensate for the acceleration lag/clogged filter. shouldnt take me longer than a few days to get back into it though

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.