First DSG

Sean Dick

Aug 18, 2018
Hey all, got my Leon Fr 1.5 tsi evo dsg arriving on Tuesday. I've only ever driven a manual car and was wondering if anyone has advice for my first time using a dsg.

Also any general advice for a first time Leon owner? Any little secret things you might not notice straight away?

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
That article has some handy pointers but a few of them require a paddle shift for optimal use, does the 1.5 FR come with paddles? You'll be able to put the gearbox in manual and shift by pushing the lever forward or backwards but this is a bit more awkward than paddles. I made the switch to DSG last year in a Cupra. Been absolutely loving it ever since and I cant think of a reason to go back to manual. Best advice is to drive with purpose, if you're going for an overtake, commit to it with the throttle, hitting the max travel will engage a gear kickdown and you'll have plenty of torque and power to get the move done. If you half throttle out alongside the car ahead then panick and hit the floor, you'll probably experience a bit or a delay while the car decides what gear you need and then shifts into it, this will only take less than a second but it can feel like an eternity when youre on the wrong side of the road with traffic approaching in the distance.

Other than that just drive as normal, use sport mode when you're pushing hard and D mode for regular pottering around. The gearboxes are incredibly smart nowadays and the upshifts are instant. My DSG does get confused the odd time but then again every person makes the odd mistake while driving manual, a stall, missed shift, wrong gear etc so it balances out. It far outweighs the negatives if you drive in stop go traffic often. No clutching and feathering the throttle anymore, just brake on or off and let the car creep under its own power. Brilliant for steep hill starts too. Just release the brake and accelerate and you'll easily move off with no backwards roll.

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
i found that for the first few days I had to mentally stop myself going to grab the gearstick as I was approaching roundabouts etc and slowing down. Accelerating was fine but for some reason when slowing down my arm wanted to grab the stick ready to shift down!!

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
After driving DSG for a while it was strange to go back to a manual, but nowadays I can jump in and out of a DSG into a manual and back without even thinking about it or realize I am doing it.
As to the main tip for driving a DSG car: plant your left foot firmly on the foot rest and let it be there.
Personally I use sport mode or the paddles when overtaking, but as said here already, the kickdown will also work just fine.

Reactions: richw

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Don't press the brake with your left foot thinking it's the clutch unless you fancy headbutting the steering wheel
before i got my ibiza, i was looking at youtube videos of people that owned them and i found this one kid, Paynos (really cool guy btw, i enjoyed his videos and his love for his 6L ibiza/cupra) and in one video he was talking about how track practice is highly recommended, even if it only teaches you how to control your car while skidding. he mentioned left foot braking and trying it out in a car park. so i did :givein:
and ive tried it several times since then and every time i get caught out, even when i try to brake lightly!

Sean Dick

Aug 18, 2018
Nice one guys, 1.5 fr does have the paddles, looking forward to that the most. Have to imagine its pretty satisfying dropping a gear, flooring it and going up the gears as you go past

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
Hey all, got my Leon Fr 1.5 tsi evo dsg arriving on Tuesday. I've only ever driven a manual car and was wondering if anyone has advice for my first time using a dsg.

Also any general advice for a first time Leon owner? Any little secret things you might not notice straight away?

Same as above...don’t use your left foot!! You’ll never drive a manual again after having DSG.

Reactions: Seastormer

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh

A bit of advice when it comes to DSG boxes. Don't creep in first gear in slow traffic if you help it. It really gives the clutches a hard time.

I know it's a pain in the rear to leave a gap in heavy traffic but crawling in gear whilst in stop start traffic will wear it down.

Your car should have the auto hold function so when you come to a standstill just press the brake pedal hard until the green light comes on and the engine management will put the box in neutral until you tap the accelerator again. No need to change to neutral gear.

Just my two pence worth as I know so many faults with DSG boxes are due to 'creeping' in traffic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Treat the DSG like a manual clutch/gearbox, not a torque converter type auto. No sustained slow speeds below the clutch engagement point, no holding on the accelerator when on a slope.

Denzil

May 2, 2008
South Wales

Pull back on the gearstick and hold it for 2 seconds and it will go into sport mode. This saves you pulling back twice on the stick.

Denzil

May 2, 2008
South Wales

If you dont want to die pulling out of junctions quickly, remember to deactivate the A off feature as it kills the engine when the foot brake is fully applied.

Remember to deactivate

Reactions: PaulyM

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
If you dont want to die pulling out of junctions quickly, remember to deactivate the A off feature as it kills the engine when the foot brake is fully applied.

Remember to deactivate
You on about stop start?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk