Wheel Inspiration Needed

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I've actually downsized from 18" to 16", I wanted more ride comfort and cheaper tyres (I use mine for work so expect to do a lot of mileage)
Plus she now looks even more of a sleeper [B)]

Which ones did you go for out of interest? Any pics :) I've been looking out for some 16s for the winter months. I may leave them on year round too just to get a bit more comfort - not that it's terrible as is compared to rock hard leon FR (mk2) I had before it.

I quite like the exeo ecomotive 16s but not sure they'd fit the 170 with the bigger brakes. That and I never see a set for sale!

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Which ones did you go for out of interest? Any pics :) I've been looking out for some 16s for the winter months. I may leave them on year round too just to get a bit more comfort - not that it's terrible as is compared to rock hard leon FR (mk2) I had before it.

I quite like the exeo ecomotive 16s but not sure they'd fit the 170 with the bigger brakes. That and I never see a set for sale!

I got some Audi Artis wheels off ebay for a song, threw away the fitted Teflon Hedgefinders, had the wheels refurbed and fitted 205x16 Michelin crossclimates. Ride a lot smoother and in general easier to drive, the original 225x18s tended to find every dip in the road and head into it so motorway drives were a chore of constantly making tiny corrections. The 205s just keep going straight.

EDIT : Mine has the 312mm discs and the 16s have no issues with clearing the brakes & caliper.

flare.jpg

Last edited:

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
It's been a long time since I had to buy any wheels but that's now the position I'm in due to hitting a HUGE pothole in the dark. :censored:

If anyone has one of these for sale I'd love to hear from you.

later%20exeo%20wheel.jpg

At the moment I'm running the 3 remaining 18"s and the steel spare which is a 16".

Failing finding a matching replacement I'll be looking for set of something new. Are there still makes of wheel out there that should be avoided at all costs? TIA

Last edited:

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Claim for the damage

I know it sounds obvious to put in a claim but the road in question is just so dangerous (with no paths and high hedges) that it's out of the question to start taking photos etc as per the council requirements for a claim.

I've decided to bite the bullet and just buy a full set of refurbished rims which was something I wanted to have done to my current wheels. £230 didn't sound too bad and then a few quid obviously having tyres swapped over and getting them ballanced etc.

Collecting these this weekend....
k1fG5tmh.jpg

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Sounds very reasonable price for a set of wheels that are refurbished. Good spot.
I've not actually seem them yet but from the pictures so far they look great. They also match the exact size of my current wheels.
YKfsbP0h.jpg

kYodQyNh.jpg

Elsewhere,I got offered a nice looking set of un-refurbished Audi S-Line alloys for £250 but they would have required slightly bigger tyres (245's) and I don't want to knock out the speedo calibration. Not to mention the cost of said tyres on top of the price of the wheels.

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
When I arrived to collect the wheels the whole saga went pear shaped. For whatever reason the sellers used a different picture (same style wheels) of the actual wheels for sale. To my annoyance, the wheels ready for collection were sprayed Anthracite, not silver. :no: Don't ask!

To their credit, the two lads who did the work actually did a great job. After a brief discussion they agreed to straighten my buckled wheel (I didn't know it could be done) and refurbish my full original set for £210 all in. I dropped by on Friday after work and they fit a temporary set of wheels and tyres until the job was complete. On Sunday morning I got a call that my wheels would be ready for 3pm and available for collection. When I arrived the two lads were stood waiting, bang on time, with my fully balanced wheels ready to swap back over. I think they look awesome!! :clap:

EwpmP4Nh.jpg

EwpmP4Nh.jpg

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Agreed they look great and really suit the exeo.
Good job!
Cheers Matt. My thoughts exactly.

It just remains for me to measure up and order new (red "S") Seat centre caps. I think they're 54mm but need to check. Cheap enough on fleabay.
:seatgod:

htiSIyNm.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise