Whats fuel economy like in your new Copras?

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
Hi guys, picked my Cupra 290 Lux up earlier and have done about 40miles in it so far. Was just wondering how everyones fuel economy has been as over 40miles of driving I averaged 20.7 mpg and lost a bar of fuel after only 30miles! Dont get me wrong, I had it in Cupra mode for maybe 5-10miles having a play around, but does that sound right?

Thanks, Conor.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Anywhere between 30 to 40 for me, but that's a manual 300. Not sure I've ever seen as low as 20 unless it's been a few miles in traffic.

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
Anywhere between 30 to 40 for me, but that's a manual 300. Not sure I've ever seen as low as 20 unless it's been a few miles in traffic.
Hmm maybe due to it being 40miles but in short journeys.. Im making a 300mile journey tomorrow so I hope to be averaging somewhere around 40 for that haha

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Hmm maybe due to it being 40miles but in short journeys.. Im making a 300mile journey tomorrow so I hope to be averaging somewhere around 40 for that haha

I did a 90mile trip to Manchester airport and got 44mpg average, day to day I got low 30s high 20s
Not sure on this, though it myself, but then it pops and bangs a lot more, suggesting more fuel is getting burnt in the exhaust lol
It's been data logged dozens of times by dozens of different people, only thing that changes is the throttle

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I did a 90mile trip to Manchester airport and got 44mpg average, day to day I got low 30s high 20s

It's been data logged dozens of times by dozens of different people, only thing that changes is the throttle
Not saying either way, but if fuel is not being spat out the exhaust ports in the other modes as much, the surely that’s less fuel, even if it’s only the odd droplet. I know cupra mode doesn’t give more power, but it potentially helps the car stay on boost by doing things like that.

Kibber

Dec 23, 2018
I have just done about 1200 miles from new in my Copra 290 and it has bern amazing on fuel. Always getting 33mpg+ and not going mega steady. To get under 30 on a decent run, then you would be pushing very hard. 35-40 on a longer run is easy. I have just come from an RS3, which was not bad on fuel either, but this is better than expected.

Kibber

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
Also anyone... Never owned a DSG before, always been manual, I've read threads on the DSG but on thing i've noticed.. When pulling out of junctions the car feels very sluggish.. any reason for that?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
In Cupra/Sport modes, low idle is c.1200 rpm vs c.800 rpm in Comfort/Eco = more fuel burnt. Also, absolutely no idea how the stop/start system works in this car - it stops for a few milliseconds at a time whilst at a standstill. I have one of the packs with traffic jam assist and adaptive cruise, but this is my first DSG/Petrol for sometime and therefore still getting used to it.

20 - 25 mpg and c.300 miles per tank appear to be the norm for me (A/B/Motorway and traffic); my wife on the other hand manages 25 - 35 mpg. I have absolutely no idea why there is a difference your honour!

Reactions: LouG

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Also anyone... Never owned a DSG before, always been manual, I've read threads on the DSG but on thing i've noticed.. When pulling out of junctions the car feels very sluggish.. any reason for that?

Flesh like object attached to the pedals in my car is the obvious answer. I've found that on certain junctions and roundabouts I knock the gearbox into sport mode just to have that little bit extra response.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Cupra 300 and not a 290, well run in with just shy of 9k miles.
I work from home so only use the car for school runs and for going to footy training, golf and the odd trip of an evening to collect the daughter from Gymnastics.
I have seen 32mpg on the run back from the dealer on collection, but at the moment my long term is 23.6.
I am guessing the 290s with the 7 speed DSG are greatly helping on MPG figures? even at 60mph in 6th on the 6spd DSG I am around 2/2500rpm....
I am lucky to get 250-280 a tank, but I knew that would be the case with the short trips I do, hence why I offloaded the Golf GTD for a petrol car.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Forgot to mention I am always in Cupra mode, but in D.
Today I started a test, set to "Individual" mode with everything in comfort and engine and air con in Eco, to see if this helps the MPG at all....
I am not expecting to see any real difference as the DSG simply selects neutral as you take your foot off the gas, unless slowing down (for a roundabout etc) and it then bumps the gearbox back into gear from neutral to use engine breaking, this feels to me like it will in fact burn more fuel...

silles

May 4, 2017
i'm getting anything between 20-40, always in individual (sport engine, D dsg)
- if u want better mpg, just never brake ;) use engine braking, shift to S mode and let it slow down with f@rts

sport/cupra mode simple uses more fuel because:
- u r accelerating faster
- and pops/f@rts are not free

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
1570 miles completed - long term MPG 24.7

I do mainly stop start city driving though. On a longer run I can get it to 42mpg by taking it easy.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Is mpg really much of a consideration when choosing a cupra?

Sure, it's not a v8 muscle car doing 10mpg, but I wouldn't expect diesel economy from a hot hatch - even if driven like a granny.

I did think about a cupra, the lease cost was only £80 more per month than the FR I chose, and I would like the occasional adrenaline boost - but I'm too tight to live with doubling the fuel bill over three years.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
I swapped from a 1.4FR manual 2017 face-lift to a 67 plate cupra 300 dsg.

The same route to work each day half city half mway about 10 miles one way.

The FR did 45mpg if I slowed it right Down To granny driving got 48mpg.

The cupra on the exact same journey
32mpg normal driving
28mpg... If I'm late for work.........
And 34 if its in eco and make all the lights.

I'll be honest I have noticed the fuel cost hitting the wallet. And in this car I've flicked the MPG calculator to the one that shows speed. Out of sight out of mind. But suppose that's. Hot hatch for you. Haha.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Hi guys, picked my Cupra 290 Lux up earlier and have done about 40miles in it so far. Was just wondering how everyones fuel economy has been as over 40miles of driving I averaged 20.7 mpg and lost a bar of fuel after only 30miles! Dont get me wrong, I had it in Cupra mode for maybe 5-10miles having a play around, but does that sound right?

Thanks, Conor.

If it’s brand new, don’t expect great economy until it’s bedded in. My Golf R on a run will easily do circa 35 mpg. Even on my way to my new place of work, (mostly unclassified roads, single track, hills, on/off acceleration) I’m getting 29 mpg. Give it time and it will improve. My Golf is a manual if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members