Distance / Wheel spacers for FR

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I run 15mm front and 20mm rear and I’m lowered on eibach sportslines I don’t have any rubbing at all. For me it’s spot on and looks perfect. I’ll accept higher bearing wear for what they cost to replace.

522073ed0d749ed9c0d9693ec181c973.jpg

It just looks right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you accept a broken stub axle at 120 km/h?

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018

Any reports / first hand experience on that happening? I’d be interested to read it as I’ve never heard of that happening.

I can’t even find anything doing a (quick) search online?!

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018

In fact the general consensus is that they’re perfectly safe when installed properly, for racing, street and off-road all of which make use of them for a variety of applications / reasons.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
In fact the general consensus is that they’re perfectly safe when installed properly, for racing, street and off-road all of which make use of them for a variety of applications / reasons.

Perfectly safe? Ask SEAT for their opinion about another 20mm offset.
You can do whatever you like, I'm just using my experienced as a mechanic, back in the days when we were true mechanics, not mere fitters.
But, if you do snap a stub axle and take out a family in another car, who'll you blame?

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Perfectly safe? Ask SEAT for their opinion about another 20mm offset.
You can do whatever you like, I'm just using my experienced as a mechanic, back in the days when we were true mechanics, not mere fitters.
But, if you do snap a stub axle and take out a family in another car, who'll you blame?

I’d just like to see some evidence of failures related to the spacers. There’s nothing out there, I’ll assume you have some first hand experience? Could you please point me in the right direction? If it’s proven to be dangerous then you should be lobbying for them to be banned. If there is clear scientific backed evidence that they are dangerous then I’d probably remove them, I looked into it when I bought them but just didn’t find anything about them causing severe failures or being linked to accidents etc.

I’ll drop SEAT UK an email out of interest.

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
I think a broken stub axle is a little extreme. At worst you would hear the worn bearing long before it got to that stage.

I've run spacers on my mk2 golf VR6 which 9 trips to the nurburgring and currently on my e92 M3 which has done a few trackdays. Manufacturers offer different wheel options with differing offsets so I wouldn't loose any sleep.

I haven't come across any issues when done properly with a hubcentric setup and correct bolt length. I've had worse issues with freshly powdercoated wheels and the bolts backing out due to the new soft paint

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I think a broken stub axle is a little extreme. At worst you would hear the worn bearing long before it got to that stage.

I've run spacers on my mk2 golf VR6 which 9 trips to the nurburgring and currently on my e92 M3 which has done a few trackdays. Manufacturers offer different wheel options with differing offsets so I wouldn't loose any sleep.

I haven't come across any issues when done properly with a hubcentric setup and correct bolt length. I've had worse issues with freshly powdercoated wheels and the bolts backing out due to the new soft paint
You're not getting it. Moving the load path 30mm outwards on a stub axle is increasing the leverage on the point where the stub axle meets the upright. It's not designed to take those loads and could break away. All by itself, worn bearings or not.
But, do whatever you want, fashion's more important, right?

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Christ this guys really got a hate for spacers eh? Lol

Certainly sounds like it. The way I see it the stub axle is tested to take a certain moment of force repeatedly (going back to gcse science) the moment is the force x distance so yes decreasing the offset (increasing the distance) a bit will increase the moment but so will hundreds of other scenarios which result is a larger force going up through the wheel and the stub axle and everything else has to be durable to all of those for the lifetime of the car.

Anyway back to the other point he made which is that looks are more important for a food a road car :thumbup: so... I fitted my 15mm spacers all round yesterday. When I measured the lip on the rear hub accurately it was more like 13mm so the 15mm spacers were perfect. Looks wise it’s much better (which is the most important thing as we know) although the rear could probably do with 20mm but increasing the track more on the rear on a FWD car doesn’t feel right to me.

Will get some pics up tomorrow

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
I’ve been trying (and failing) to calculate the increase in force for 15mm spacer and thus that force as a %. I can’t imagine it’s massive.

In my trawling of the interwebs I’ve found literally nothing to suggest they are dangerous, apart from maybe the ones Americans use of their tricks that are massive sorta 6inches... can’t imagine that’s too clever.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
I’ve been trying (and failing) to calculate the increase in force for 15mm spacer and thus that force as a %. I can’t imagine it’s massive.

In my trawling of the interwebs I’ve found literally nothing to suggest they are dangerous, apart from maybe the ones Americans use of their tricks that are massive sorta 6inches... can’t imagine that’s too clever.

That was trucks not tricks.

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire

you'll probably find the force for a 15mm spacer is negligible. remapping your car causes greater wear to components and possibly shortens the life of certain components but we still do it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sharpy

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
you'll probably find the force for a 15mm spacer is negligible. remapping your car causes greater wear to components and possibly shortens the life of certain components but we still do it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That’s what I figured. Given the fact the stub axle is made of pig iron I doubt that the stress would cause them to fail unless there was something else at play like a manufacturing defect. I’d be more worried about the stresses from the big brake kit I’ve just bought.

Reactions: ChrisJKM

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
Certainly sounds like it. The way I see it the stub axle is tested to take a certain moment of force repeatedly (going back to gcse science) the moment is the force x distance so yes decreasing the offset (increasing the distance) a bit will increase the moment but so will hundreds of other scenarios which result is a larger force going up through the wheel and the stub axle and everything else has to be durable to all of those for the lifetime of the car.

Anyway back to the other point he made which is that looks are more important for a food a road car :thumbup: so... I fitted my 15mm spacers all round yesterday. When I measured the lip on the rear hub accurately it was more like 13mm so the 15mm spacers were perfect. Looks wise it’s much better (which is the most important thing as we know) although the rear could probably do with 20mm but increasing the track more on the rear on a FWD car doesn’t feel right to me.

Will get some pics up tomorrow

Defo get some pics up... I've a set of lowering springs there and contemplating getting a set of small spacers to fit at same time. Are you on standard wheels? And what spacers did you get?

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Defo get some pics up... I've a set of lowering springs there and contemplating getting a set of small spacers to fit at same time. Are you on standard wheels? And what spacers did you get?

I bought 15mm spacers from a UK company called Watfields LTD. Small UK outfit but super helpful and the parts were excellent quality.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pair-5...rentrq:94d3dd661680ab6737138ff0fff2b003|iid:1

Photos aren't great but the wheels sit a lot better. The car could do with being 10mm lower now...

P.S. I haven't uploaded photos before so sorry if they're massive
Leon01.jpeg Leon1.jpeg
Leon01.jpeg
Leon1.jpeg

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
i have these on my Mk3 cupra 280 and they fit a dream.

i had 12mm all round before that Motech put on it but the rear wheels could do with a bit more and the fronts rubbed! thats on stock DCC suspension. so bought the sets above and am well happy with them. really good quality, you get the bolts and they don't rub.

i have the 19" performance wheels also.
Do you have a picture of how your car looks from the back when these are fitted? I want that aggressive look at the back! Thank you

Aqib

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
There's some genius level justifications here today. Pig iron? That takes the cake.
Did you ever see broken car part because of wheel spacer?
I seen some extreme setup from rs tuning hungary.they just build the best show cars in europe.
I had 3-4 cars in the past fitted with spacer and happy to drive over 100mph any time.same as stretched tyre never had any problem and i used most extreme as possible.ok never used China crap tyre just proper brands

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
There's some genius level justifications here today. Pig iron? That takes the cake.

Today? Surely you mean several months ago.

My comments stand, I’m yet to see any issues from spacers, I’ve done extensive searching and asked a number of garages local to me, one I use a lot have race cars and they runs spacers without any issues?

Like I said, I’m yet to see any actual evidence I issues and despite your protestations you are unable to provide anything conclusive?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.