Which estate?

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
I’m about to pull the trigger on ordering an ST Lux cupra...or am I?! :banghead2

Just going through the process of questioning myself everytime I go to order.

Just wondering if you have one now and were in the position to buy again, would you buy it again or would you go for something else?
If something else, what?

It’s a company car so budget isn’t an issue to an extent as I’m not paying for it. Still don’t like to be ripped off though so :help:

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
What else are you considering? Cupra Estates are normally good value and a decent car.

I’m trying to stick with petrol. Currently drive a Focus ST estate which I’m quite fond of.

Came from a BMW 120d before that, the build quality was awful so that’s put me off BMW.

I suppose if I was to make a list it would be;
Leon Cupra ST
Golf R estate - this was my initial preference until I came across the Cupra
BMW 330d tourer
Volvo V60 R design T5
Skoda Octavia VRS
Audi A4

I was quite tempted by an Arteon R the other day though when I went to VW to look at the golf!

Middle of the road in terms of models but on the performance side of estates ideally.

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
I take it you have considered its most direct competitor,the Golf R estate.

The BMW 3 series,may also be in reach,there will be pre reg/demos of the current but outgoing model at big discounts.

I didn't buy either,but they might be better for some.

An Audi A4 Avant quattro (with the 252ps engine) will be quick enough,quieter and a better interior but will be perhaps £10k more costly.

PS do you really want 4wd,if so that will narrow it down.

Last edited:

Kenton

Jun 19, 2018
I'm on my second ST on a company lease. Solid cars, carries 2 football kits plus balls and cones for my Saturday passion. No complaints, just wonder if I didn't want the performance what I would go for.........

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
I'm really happy with mine and would buy again! With the trend towards SUV's who knows if this will be possible in a few years as fast estate cars are slowly killed off.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I’m trying to stick with petrol. Currently drive a Focus ST estate which I’m quite fond of.

Came from a BMW 120d before that, the build quality was awful so that’s put me off BMW.

I suppose if I was to make a list it would be;
Leon Cupra ST
Golf R estate - this was my initial preference until I came across the Cupra
BMW 330d tourer
Volvo V60 R design T5
Skoda Octavia VRS
Audi A4

I was quite tempted by an Arteon R the other day though when I went to VW to look at the golf!

Middle of the road in terms of models but on the performance side of estates ideally.
Not sure if you can still get one new but the V60 Polestar would be in my thoughts if I didn't have the expense of maintaining it! Seeing as the V60 R is on your list I'd go the whole hog!

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I have 280 and did order a 4drive to replace. To cut a long story short I cancelled the 4drive and kept the 280. I plan to keep long term given it ticks all the boxes and nothing else really compares for the money / running costs.

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
I'm asking in the wrong place I think!

I'm going to order tomorrow, just got tonight to decide the colour- thinking mystery blue

Any reason to avoid the panoramic roof?

Thanks all

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
Went from a manual 280 ST to a 300 ST with DSG. My next car will probably be a fast estate, as like the concept of speed married to practicality. It may not be a Seat, but the cupra ticks all the boxes. Only the R compares, but I don't like the styling (squashed van!). We have a dog and can get him and weekend bags in the boot without loading up the back seats. With the seats down I can get my road bike in with the front wheel off. The only thing that does disappoint with the 300 is the MPG. Not too bothered, as I'm sure it'll improve as the miles go on, plus I lift share most of the time. How on earth can Seat claim 39 MPG is a mystery to me! Significant tail wind on test day! I know shouldn't have bought one if I was worried about MPG.

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
I'm asking in the wrong place I think!

I'm going to order tomorrow, just got tonight to decide the colour- thinking mystery blue

Any reason to avoid the panoramic roof?

Thanks all
Weight? I don't know if it is glass, but it must be heavier than without. There is the possiblity of leaking, but not heard many reports of this. Does bring more light into what can feel like a dark cabin.

Last edited:

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Weight? I don't know if it is glass, but it must be heavier than without. There is this possiblity of leaking, but not heard many reports of this. Does bring more light into what can feel like a dark cabin.

On the Skoda forums there are quite a lot of reports of problems with the pan roof on the Octavia Estate.
I would have thought the SEAT roof has common parts.

Deleted member 103408

Went from a manual 280 ST to a 300 ST with DSG. My next car will probably be a fast estate, as like the concept of speed married to practicality. It may not be a Seat, but the cupra ticks all the boxes. Only the R compares, but I don't like the styling (squashed van!). We have a dog and can get him and weekend bags in the boot without loading up the back seats. With the seats down I can get my road bike in with the front wheel off. The only thing that does disappoint with the 300 is the MPG. Not too bothered, as I'm sure it'll improve as the miles go on, plus I lift share most of the time. How on earth can Seat claim 39 MPG is a mystery to me! Significant tail wind on test day! I know shouldn't have bought one if I was worried about MPG.

My 280 which is performance tuned on a motorway trip from east to west cost returned 38/9 according to the dash so it is possible.

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
My 280 which is performance tuned on a motorway trip from east to west cost returned 38/9 according to the dash so it is possible.

I've got the 4drive version, and I think the additional load of the drive to the rear diff might make increase the mpg. My understanding is whilst the diff is not always engaged, the drive shaft is always spinning.

Deleted member 103408

I agree you have a heavier car (estate and all the 4 wheel drive gubbins plus more sound proofing). what sort of MPG are you getting.

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
I agree you have a heavier car (estate and all the 4 wheel drive gubbins plus more sound proofing). what sort of MPG are you getting.

my 4drive (6speed) averages 28mpg a tank. That's with a 13 mile commute on country lanes/flowing A roads.

Deleted member 103408

Whats it like if you do a long journey as that does seem a little on the low side unless you are using it like it should be

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Low consumptions are possible, but you really need to babyfoot it and have ideal conditions, etc.

These are my figures at the end of one day in one of the stints in the Norway road trip:

Z2RX7ws.jpg

There was no traffic, flat roads, low speed limits, etc, etc....

That is 44mpg on a 4drive, btw.

Reactions: KernelOkey