VagCom Cable/Software & Priming Diesel Filter ? Advice ?

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
i'll continue this, best place to buy & do i need the full working software or will the trail/demo do the job?
on my Mk3 Leon when you change the Diesel Filter your meant to use such software to prime the system
can you do this quite easy with this software or can i just brim fill the filter & hope it all just starts up?
without any issues? read somewhere you can harm the high pressure pump or something

guidance eitherway be v usefull, i'll buy the correct cable n software if i really have too.

i dont intend to pay dealer prices to change a poxy fuel filter.

Cheerors

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I am pretty sure you can do this with OBD11 in my opinion much cheaper than buying full version VAG-COM

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I change my filter a couple of weeks back just brim it with clean diesel and your good to go you don't need no software to prime it.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
you should run the filter pump for 30 sec to make sure fuel pump get fill properly after filter change before the engine start otherwise you can easily damage the fuel pump

The CR (Common Rail) TDI engines should not be operated without fuel which may be an issue after repairs such as fuel injector and fuel filter replacement. The electric fuel pump, located in the fuel tank or externally mounted in-line, can be operated via basic settings to fill the system.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Pump_Basic_Settings_for_PD,_PPD,_and_CR_TDI_Engines

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Would like to know how a filter change could damage the fuel pump ? When you lift the fuel filter out of the fuel filter housing it is still a third full of fuel. So how is the pump effected in any way ? No air lock as fuel is till present. And refilling the housing after the new filter is in place will cause no extra load on the pump.

The above seem to indicate injector damage not fuel pump as its trying to tell you to run that to prime the fuel filter housing but if youve done that manually ! What difference does it make ?

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
you should run the filter pump for 30 sec to make sure fuel pump get fill properly after filter change before the engine start otherwise you can easily damage the fuel pump

The CR (Common Rail) TDI engines should not be operated without fuel which may be an issue after repairs such as fuel injector and fuel filter replacement. The electric fuel pump, located in the fuel tank or externally mounted in-line, can be operated via basic settings to fill the system.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Pump_Basic_Settings_for_PD,_PPD,_and_CR_TDI_Engines
Thanks ive just read that.
i knew id seen it somewhere about these newer engines unlike the older 150hp PD i used to have when you turn on the ignition the pump
then runs priming up the fuel system, where as on these CR ones it doesnt work the same... AFAIK
am just keep to make sure the car is primed if & when i change the filter.
so would rather have the right cable n software & maybes i can use that for other things in the future.
whats this OBD11 as mentioned above then?? something diff to Vagcom ??

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Fyi or anyone else who hasnt changed there TDI Leons Filters before
did the whole lot a couple of weekends ago.
all not that difficult neither.
Even the Diesel one, just filled it to the brim & car started fine as normal.
It also passed its 2nd MOT last week no issues, then again at just over 26,000,miles you wouldnt be expecting much.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members