Retrofit LED headlights Facelift mk3

Jan 31, 2019
Hi

I have just ordered a mk3 Leon but the LED headlight aren't available as an option and I can't justify upgrading to a FR just for the lights

Have had a search and seen its possible pre Facelift but has anyone tried it on a facelift Leon?

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
If you want a car with LED headlights, buy a car with LED headlights.
It is practically impossible to retrofit those and the costs would be prohibitive.
Also, I haven't read any stories of anyone that has ever done this.
You would need to chance a few modules to get this done.
By the time you were done with it, you would realize why the price difference towards the FR pays.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Sadly, I think the above is probably accurate - it's not a straight swap and pretty expensive. I think you've got to really want them! I would suggest replacing the OEM halogen bulbs with some aftermarket ones with a cooler and brighter light... such as Philips RacingVision. That's going to cost you 20-odd quid and will be a 15 minute job.

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Sorry to kind of hijack but i notice some cars with LED headlights have h/l washers but my FR doesn't. Aren't washers a requirement with LED lights like they were with xenons?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Might be different in different countries but there's no requirement in the UK. Just comes with the winter pack. I had them in my previous Golf and they did nowt anyway

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Might be different in different countries but there's no requirement in the UK. Just comes with the winter pack. I had them in my previous Golf and they did nowt anyway

Ah ok thought that might be the case. Remeber that retro fitting xenons used to mean lots of effort with washers and level sensors.

I'm glad they're not standard on led lights. Used to annoy me spraying washer fluid all over my clean bonnet!

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
LED can be retrofitted. Unfortunately, this isn't really cost effective. Another downside in the UK you won't find anyone who can program everything correctly. If you ordering new car much easy option to add them on

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Sorry to kind of hijack but i notice some cars with LED headlights have h/l washers but my FR doesn't. Aren't washers a requirement with LED lights like they were with xenons?

I think the need for headlight washers is decided by the lumens the bulbs put out. Anything under 2000 lumens they are not needed, anything over that and they are a requirement.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
From Osram, who manufacture and sell LED retro fit kits:

"These products do not have ECE approval. This means they must not be used on public roads in any exterior application. Use on public roads leads to cancellation of operating license and loss of insurance coverage. Several countries do not allow sale and use of these products. Please contact your local distributor for information on the availability in your country."

Without ECE approval is the critical bit - I don't believe it's possible to change the exterior lighting on any vehicle to LED and still be legal and hence insured. I came to that conclusion with the useless halogen projector lights on my old VW and decided it was easier and cheaper to replace the car.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Ah ok thought that might be the case. Remeber that retro fitting xenons used to mean lots of effort with washers and level sensors.

I'm glad they're not standard on led lights. Used to annoy me spraying washer fluid all over my clean bonnet!

The LED lights do have a level sensor fitted to the rear suspension set up, but the washer jets only come on the winter pack. They use loads of washer fluid, but aren’t that effective when compared to headlight washers on other cars - agree with @Jaco2k on this one.

Keyzer Soze

Sep 18, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a pre facelift SE which came with LED lights, I believe it had some pack or other. There are probably better LED lights out there, they aren't particularly effective in the rain, you're probably fine with standard lights with decent bulb upgrades.

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Ye I do feel that LED headlights on my pre facelift aren’t as powerful as the xenons on my old 3 series but saying that I think the LED look quite cool so I’m happy.

Deleted member 103408

Facelift lights are better than pre facelift according to feedback on this forum.
However a lot of people also complain (on both) that the lights do tend to drop and need adjusting back up to get the best out of them.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Having had two pre f/l cars prior to current f/l I can confirm the lights in a f/l are better. Original 280’s were appalling ( having come from a xenon equipped MK2) to put it mildly.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members