Poor Handling in the Snow

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Hi

I have a 2017 Leon ST Xcellence (petrol) with the original Bridgestone Turanzas on. It has only done 11k so the tyres have loads of tread.

Went out for my first drive in the snow today and it scarry, an almost total lack of usable grip. The car was struggling to get enough grip to pull away in slush at a major roundbout and had no hope of getting up the slight hill I live on. I have never consistently had do little grip on a drive in almost 30 years of driving.

I am working on the assumption the tyres are the problem and not a fundamental issue with the car in the snow, the sell them all over Europe after all.

Any suggestions for replacement tyres. I don't have the space to store a set of wheels/tyres so unfortunately the option of a winter set and a summer set isn't open to me.

Cheers

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Bridgestone Turanzas, had them on a former VW golf 7 Variant 2014 1.4 TSI. They aren’t good in snow . Noting wrong with your car.
I always use winter tyres /wheels but sometimes there can be snow as a surprise before one have time to put them on.

/Peter

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Agreed,all season tyres are the way to go and many manufacturers are doing them now,not just Michelin.

Look up the internet reviews and make your choice according to what they say and your pocket

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
From some1 that lives in Sweden its kinda chocking to read that people in uk even try to drive your cars on summer tires in snow :drive2:
Having lived in Munich for three years, I know where you're coming from but Sweden is guaranteed snow every winter whereas many parts of the UK aren't. Where I live, we are halfway through this winter and haven't had any snow yet so stand a decent chance of not getting any, although we had a lot last year. A minimum of £800 (including the wheels) is a lot for something you may not need. This is the same reason that our airports close under conditions that yours could operate through.

I know winter tyres are better than summer tyres below 7C but our forecast is for temperatures above that threshold from Monday until the middle of February.

Reactions: Rooster

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
There's a reason why in the rest of Europe it's the law to run both a winter and summer tyres. Having lived in Austria and now UK, I laugh when people find such difficulty going through snow. In Vienna, the snow clearning truck starts about 5 or 6 in the AM, following by all the cars, no issuse. I used to have Turranzas on a 2.0TDI Leon, forget the snow, even in the wet, put foot down, it wheelspins down the slip road, and those tyres had 6mm tread, and it was in autumn. If snow is almost a gurantee or you live up a hill or in the smaller towns, go for Michelin Crossclimates, Bridgestone Weather control, or Goodyear Vector4Seasons. If there's snow, it will get you out of trouble. or get snow socks for emergencies on summer rubber.

Emergency services in London run crossclimates on their vehicles.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Having lived in Munich for three years, I know where you're coming from but Sweden is guaranteed snow every winter whereas many parts of the UK aren't. Where I live, we are halfway through this winter and haven't had any snow yet so stand a decent chance of not getting any, although we had a lot last year. A minimum of £800 (including the wheels) is a lot for something you may not need. This is the same reason that our airports close under conditions that yours could operate through.

I know winter tyres are better than summer tyres below 7C but our forecast is for temperatures above that threshold from Monday until the middle of February.
What does the insurance company say if you are in an accident with summertires? Its the same problems in the southern parts of Sweden. Can be years between they get snow, so most use non studded tires that lives there. Its mandatory to have wintertires 1dec-31march

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
What does the insurance company say if you are in an accident with summertires? Its the same problems in the southern parts of Sweden. Can be years between they get snow, so most use non studded tires that lives there. Its mandatory to have wintertires 1dec-31march
Nothing they can say unless you have less than 1.6 mm thread. There is no legal requirement to fit winter tyres in UK.

My plan is snow socks should we get snow.

silles

May 4, 2017

snow is not the only problem, when temperature drops below 7-8 degree summer tyres are useless, the compound was not designed for cold.
u need winter tyres when it's cold and not when there is snow. Of course the snow makes it X times worse

so there is that, + Bridgestone Turanzas are cr@p, hated them on my FR.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
snow is not the only problem, when temperature drops below 7-8 degree summer tyres are useless, the compound was not designed for cold.
u need winter tyres when it's cold and not when there is snow. Of course the snow makes it X times worse

so there is that, + Bridgestone Turanzas are cr@p, hated them on my FR.
I acknowledged that in my post that you quoted but by Tuesday we'll have temperatures in double figures, then PS4S will be a lot better than any winter tyre. What do you want me to do, change my wheels every two weeks?

By the way, I haven't found that PS4S fall off a cliff at 7C. Probably a lot better than Tuaranzas are at 20C let along Nankang ditchfinders.

Reactions: Seastormer

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Thanks all, a set of continental all season contacts or Michelin cross climate it is then

silles

May 4, 2017
I acknowledged that in my post that you quoted but by Tuesday we'll have temperatures in double figures, then PS4S will be a lot better than any winter tyre. What do you want me to do, change my wheels every two weeks?

By the way, I haven't found that PS4S fall off a cliff at 7C. Probably a lot better than Tuaranzas are at 20C let along Nankang ditchfinders.

there is no perfect solution, just compromises ...

I have the same problem actually, was driving yesterday in the Cupra with Crapy Continental 5Ps, there was not even snow, just some rain and 0-1 degree, wheels spinning even in 4th, wheels hopping. it was fun but not safe ....

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I have a set of wheels ant winter tyres for sale in the For Sale area.

I was surprised how well my Cupra handled the snow last winter with these on.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know where you live but I have a friend who's selling a set of steel wheels and winter tyres for £50. He used them for one winter, and he does low milage, then sold the car. THey've been in his shed since. Wheels are rusty but tyres should be close to full tread. Can't remember the brand, not a top one, but for fifty earth pounds?

Summer tyres don't work in the snow, especially low-profile ones. Heck, driving in snow on good winter tyres is bad enough!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Ah, Worcester. Too bad. Anyone in central Scotland want a set of cheap winters let me know?

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Tyres are the issue..... I have some Vredestein wintrax pros on my cupra st and wow it’s like day and night compared to summers. Even in the cold no snow you can feel the difference, the car is planted.

It’s a lot of money I know but the feeling your going to stop in time or not lose the backend is worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
I have two sets of tyres. The inital expense is a lot, but compared the cost of the car, it’s not really significant in my opinion. Better than having an accident. And your tyres last longer as they do less miles per year.

Having lived in Germany for a few years, I would never drive summer tyres in the winter again. It’s stupid what we do in the UK. And it’s got nothing to do with snow, it’s the extra grip they give you in icy conditions that make the difference throughout the winter. If you drive to work early in the morning road temps are often below freezing during the coldest months.

One word of caution: Insurance. I had to fit winter tyres to my british registered Golf when I moved to Germany. I called my insurance company in the UK to check this, and they counted that as a modifcation as they were a different type of tyre to those which were supplied oiginally with the car. Check it with your insurance. Even though it’s clear that winter tyres are much better in cold conditions, should you have an accident and the insurance company haven’t been informed, they could say the insurance isn’t valid.

Reactions: KernelOkey

pavarotti1980

Jul 18, 2017
I have two sets of tyres. The inital expense is a lot, but compared the cost of the car, it’s not really significant in my opinion. Better than having an accident. And your tyres last longer as they do less miles per year.

Having lived in Germany for a few years, I would never drive summer tyres in the winter again. It’s stupid what we do in the UK. And it’s got nothing to do with snow, it’s the extra grip they give you in icy conditions that make the difference throughout the winter. If you drive to work early in the morning road temps are often below freezing during the coldest months.

One word of caution: Insurance. I had to fit winter tyres to my british registered Golf when I moved to Germany. I called my insurance company in the UK to check this, and they counted that as a modifcation as they were a different type of tyre to those which were supplied oiginally with the car. Check it with your insurance. Even though it’s clear that winter tyres are much better in cold conditions, should you have an accident and the insurance company haven’t been informed, they could say the insurance isn’t valid.
Oh not like an insurance company to take advantage.

The irony being that you would be less risk with winter tyres but i bet you still got stung

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise