What made you buy your Cupra?

louiskopite

Dec 18, 2018
Athens
One of the most direct, honest and to the point questions I have been invited to answer. Firstly, I do not own a Cupra because I cannot afford it. For arguement’s sake I would say that if I could afford it, I would have bought it long ago now. The only car that to my eyes beats it, is the current Golf R.

So, what I can afford is an FR 1.8 MY2018. And it was me and my wife’s decision since a baby came to our life about 5 months ago (had to sell a VW Scirocco 1.4 160hp though). So, the answer is “a baby” :)

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Because I couldn't afford a New GT3 but joking aside I was not actually looking for another Cupra as I had a few different cars on my list but my Sub 8 popped up in a main dealer and I thought why not , I just prefer my 3 door for looks over my last and along with the extra bits of body styling and Buckets I'm glad I did although my missus is harping on about another 4 door so I'm not sure for how long lol.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Bangs per buck basically, but it has to be suitable for the wife's daily commute. ( To give you and idea, she took one look at previous Civic type R and said lots of rude words. And she WILL NOT HAVE A FORD! ) started with a 1.6 MK1, then MK2 reference sport 1.4 , MK2 FR 211, Cupra R 265, Mk3 280, MK3 290 and current 300.
What a discerning wife. She's a keeper.

Reactions: kazand

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I got my 300SC as there were few other options in the 3 door hot hatch market at the Leon size (I didn't want to go smaller and get a Fiesta ST or Pug 208GTi) for the PRICE and performance.

richw

Dec 9, 2018
I wanted another DSG Golf GTI (previous was a Mk5 GTI) but to get the diff and brakes, needed the Performance Pack. Curpa's seem to have more for the same money. I got a really good deal on a new one so made it easier.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I had recently bought a Skoda Octavia VRS but never really got along with it, plus... It was underpowered compared to my previous Saab 9-3 Aero.
I always fancied the Cupra looks and had considered it at the time of buying the Skoda but at the moment needed more space.
Also, when I got the Skoda, I was already with the idea of having a AWD car.
There were two key moments for me that sealed the deal:
- Auogehful's review of the 4Drive in a ice track with loads of drifts and the beautiful blue car (unfortunately, the only blue in Finland had a panoramic roof that I specifically did NOT want)
- One good Saturday I was browsing cars online and noticed there was a 4drive Cupra local to me for sale, so I thought I would just go check it in the shop for kicks and to see how the interior was, etc... With 0 intention of buying.
So... There I was checking the interior and thinking "this looks alright - better than I remembered!" and the sales man goes "Want to take it for a drive?" - "well... Yes, I do!"
The car was a red one and I really did not like the color, so I would never had bought it...
He took my car for a spin while I went to drive the Cupra and... Within 15 mins I was in trouble, cause I just knew I had to have one.
I did a 1h test drive and when I came back and entered he said "I would ask you if you liked the car, but I can just see it from your face :)" - I had a smile from ear to ear...
He made a very poor offer for my car which made it easy to walk away - it was ridiculously low.
Then I just started chasing, did some finance juggling and came up with my current car in another city - which had all the extras and boxes ticked, with one of the main things for me being 2 sets of 19" Cupra wheels - Summer and Winter.
But that test drive was what really shifted things from me liking the car to "MUST... HAVE... ONE..." :)

Last edited:

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
Bought my first cupra in 2015. It was a year old seat press car 280sc. Absolutely loved it and never gave us an ounce of trouble. My other half drives it mostly and she loved that it could be a compact daily runner but just press a switch and the smile it could put on your face was priceless. When it was written off we looked at the usual subjects Golf R, S3 and bmw140i. I really wanted a 140i but the other half really didn't like it and when we looked at what we could get for the money the audis were 65 plates and golfs 66 plates. The seat dealer we originally bought from then offered us a pre reg 68 cupra but my other half wanted the heated seats only found in the lux. So he did a deal on a new lux with a few extras at what we felt was a great price so was a no brainer. Will be interesting to see what happens to the cupra brand in the next few years and whats available when we look next but for now were both happy.

onkkel

Jul 12, 2018
Finland
I've always been a fan of the Leon Cupras and remember always picking the Mk1 Leon Cupra in the Project Gotham Racing game as a kid. Ever since the Mk3 ST Cupra was announced I knew I had to have one some day. At the time I was driving a Mk5 Golf GTI that I bought off my dad which I sadly had to part with to cover the monthlies of my apartment. I loved that car :love:

During the following couple of years I drove around in a VW up! and a Mk3 Skoda Fabia constantly longing for the feeling you get behind the wheel of a hot hatch. When I decided to move to Norway for a one year working contract I sold my Fabia with the intention to reward myself with a Mk3 ST Cupra when I get back to Finland. I searched religiously for candidates during my last couple of months abroad and found a 2015 Cupra ST 280 DSG that ticked all my boxes. My dad, who is a similar petrol head as me, went to see the car for me and as it turned out to be as nice as the ad described I made the down payment for it the same day. Oh boy the last month abroad felt like an eternity...

I've now driven my Cupra around for 6 months and oh boy does it put a smile on my face every time! There's not much out there that can compete with the value, practicality, speed and most importantly the fun factor that this car provides. And the fun factor just increased after recently going stage 1 :)

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I’m receiving mine tomorrow as it goes, 2014 280, just under 20k miles, grey with black heated leather.

Safe to say excited is an understatement, my last cupra was a 225 about 5 years ago, bit of a step up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've had Fr/Cupra's for 11 years because they went under the radar and weren't that common. People who bought them generally bought them because they knew what they were.

Ultimately it was the mass influx of people leasing Cupra's that made me move away in the end.

Year's ago we used to have SEAT meets at BTCC/WTCC up to 100 cars a weekend all enthusiasts, these days you chat to an owner and the response is "only got it because it was on a cheap lease"

Last edited:
Reactions: kazand

onkkel

Jul 12, 2018
Finland
Which tune did you go for and where did you have it done? If it is something non-standard, which power figures?
I went for the Swedish BSR tune as I already had their PPC3 unit. Their website claims 359HP / 462Nm and according to my "butt dyno" it's about right.

With the PPC it's a simple job of downloading the maps, putting them on the PPC unit and plugging it in the OBD2 port. You can also revert back to a generic stock map if you want to.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I went for the Swedish BSR tune as I already had their PPC3 unit. Their website claims 359HP / 462Nm and according to my "butt dyno" it's about right.

With the PPC it's a simple job of downloading the maps, putting them on the PPC unit and plugging it in the OBD2 port. You can also revert back to a generic stock map if you want to.

Thank you for the answer - which dealer did you use and what was the cost?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I've had Fr/Cupra's for 11 years because they went under the radar and weren't that common. People who bought them generally bought them because they knew what they were.

Ultimately it was the mass influx of people leasing Cupra's that made me move away in the end.

Year's ago we used to have SEAT meets at BTCC/WTCC up to 100 cars a weekend all enthusiasts, these days you chat to an owner and the response is "only got it because it was on a cheap lease"

I don't really know why other people's reasons for having a particular car affect the decision about what you have, but to each their own. I still see very few Cupras on the road - maybe 1 other per week on my commute.

Deleted member 103408

In terms of numbers you can certainly see in the UK that the VAG Group have been making the lease deals on Cupra's, Golf R's and even the Audi's very attractive and it has led to a lot of people getting cars they would not normally be able to afford leasing them, Evidenced by the increase in numbers of cars sold as reported on this site.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.