Leon st second hand prices

Feb 9, 2019
ok, got my eye on 1.4 fr st 2015 tech pack 31k, manual, good condition 2 keys priced At £10750 we buy any car values it at £8.5k and auto trader at £9.3 as a trade in accepting dealers have to make a profit etc etc I was thinking it’d be worth nearer £10k cash no part/ex or is this wishful thinking

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
Depends on the dealer, how long they’ve had it, what they paid, what they need to do it etc. Always worth a punt, particularly towards the end of the month if they have targets to meet?
My 1.8ST DSG will be up for sale in the next few weeks if you’re not in a rush.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As well as needing to make a profit so they can stay in business, the dealer will also have to cover the cost of preparing / servicing the vehicle before sale, maybe replacing consumables such as tyres, brakes etc., and providing a warranty in their price mark-up on what they paid for the car. They also have to cover their general overheads of running the dealership, so an element of those costs will also be factored into the selling price of the car, and any other car they sell.

If they did buy the car as a trade in and they allowed the previous owner something in the region of the higher Auto Trader figure of £9.3k, then by pricing it at £10,750, they’re probably making very little money on the sale after taking their costs into account. If they bought the car at auction, they may have got it for a lower price, so they may have more margin to play with to ‘do a deal’.

I’ve seen it mentioned on other forums that typically, you can expect to get 15% less than the dealer’s forecourt selling price as a trade in value on a car. So, assuming the dealer did buy the car in at between £8.5k - £9.3k, this would mean a sticker price somewhere between £10k - £11k, in which case £10,750 sounds a realistic figure.

No harm in trying to negotiate a lower price. Most dealers will offer some discount off the price, but how far they’re prepared to go will depend on the amount of margin there is to play with in the forecourt price to agree a lower price and still cover their costs make a profit.

Deleted member 103408

From memory the dealer also has to pay VAT on the profit as well.