Track Experience

Hazkirby

Nov 16, 2018
Hi guys

So taking my 280 on track soon.

How do these hold up (brakes etc) in stock form ?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi guys

So taking my 280 on track soon.

How do these hold up (brakes etc) in stock form ?
I personally have had no track experience with the 280. However from others comments this is what I've picked up on.

Standard brakes are very good. Possibly helped by the ducting from the front.

They are fine for something like the Nurburgring where although there are heavy stops there is time to cool them too.

However other shorter tracks you may want consider how you can upgrade them as they may begin to fade.

Deleted member 103408

have you done track days before and what track are you going to.

is the car stock or modified and what tyres are you running.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I'm planning a trip to nuremberg later this year. Would new brake fluid help with fade? My fluids (dsg, brake and haldex) are 3yr / 30k old so planning on changing dsg and haldex before hand but not sure on brake fluid. Never done a track day before.

Deleted member 103408

@kiddo according to the service manual brake fluid should be changed After 3 years (first time) and then every 2 years

With regards to will it help fade, I do not know but my understanding is that Dot 5.1 brake fluid has a better boiling point vs the normal Dot 3 or 4 but best to ask you garage about that. I know that @SteA had stock brakes but upgraded his pads and does track work so he may be able to advise better.

You should also look at the Audi Brake Duct as I found that helps keep things cooler.

Reactions: SteA and kiddo

Deleted member 103408

Enjoy, not done that track but it looks like a nice one to get a bit of speed up.

Ninja10R

Dec 20, 2010
Athens, Greece
www.trackbike.gr
I have no experience on the track with the Leon FR i own yet, but have done quite a few laps with the Ibiza FR 1.4 TSi DSG i owned before (stolen). The brakes lasted 3 laps before seriously fading.

I plan to change my brake lines and pads (thinking of EBC yellowstaff) on my Leon before i head into the only serious track we have in Greece on May this year.

Deleted member 103408

I would also suggest your brake fluid (dont know what it comes with in Greece) to Dot 5.1 as this can handle higher heat than lower Dot values.

Reactions: Ninja10R

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
I'm planning a trip to nuremberg later this year. Would new brake fluid help with fade? My fluids (dsg, brake and haldex) are 3yr / 30k old so planning on changing dsg and haldex before hand but not sure on brake fluid. Never done a track day before.

Definitely change the brake fluid for uprated stuff with a higher boiling point, it’s not expensive and you can get it from Opie oils who are on here, I would consider it essential. If it’s your first time on track, then you may even get away with standard pads if you aren’t going too quickly, although they won’t last long if you pick up the pace. I use RSL29s which are an endurance racing pad (about £380 for the fronts) and they have been faultless and should happily allow me to punt round the Nurburgring (which I guess you meant?) in around 8 mins... :)

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Definitely change the brake fluid for uprated stuff with a higher boiling point, it’s not expensive and you can get it from Opie oils who are on here, I would consider it essential. If it’s your first time on track, then you may even get away with standard pads if you aren’t going too quickly, although they won’t last long if you pick up the pace. I use RSL29s which are an endurance racing pad (about £380 for the fronts) and they have been faultless and should happily allow me to punt round the Nurburgring (which I guess you meant?) in around 8 mins... :)

Yes I'm planning to do the nurburgring. I won't be attempting any lap records so std pads should be good for popping my cherry ;)

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Nah, go out in the ice (see my last thread...) ;)

I really enjoy driving in the snow and ice :) however, the Ring in the wet can be like nowhere else; you’re on summer tyres on an ice rink with bumps, odd off cambers and sudden grip / surface changes and generally zero run off ( and it costs £1000s if you come off as several of my friends have found out). Fine if you are very experienced on track and have experienced the Ring in the dry, I would suggest a lot of caution otherwise... you can’t compare it to a wet trackday.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I really enjoy driving in the snow and ice :) however, the Ring in the wet can be like nowhere else; you’re on summer tyres on an ice rink with bumps, odd off cambers and sudden grip / surface changes and generally zero run off ( and it costs £1000s if you come off as several of my friends have found out). Fine if you are very experienced on track and have experienced the Ring in the dry, I would suggest a lot of caution otherwise... you can’t compare it to a wet trackday.

I don't think you quite get what this ice track is about ;)
...videos will come as soon as possible, but since I have so much footage from multiple cameras it will take a while.
I have been to the ring also, but only in the dry.
You think the prospect of wrecking your car there on the wet makes the experience better? ...for me is all about having fun and coming home on the same car I took there.

Deleted member 103408

Gents you are both saying the same thing, Ice and wet is fun in the correct setting.

The Ring in the wet can be a very very dangerous place for inexperienced drivers so take extra care and dont push it to the limits.

Reactions: Jaco2k
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members