Need help bad as so confused

Feb 2, 2019
On my mk1 Leon aum 1.8t 20vt my traction control light is pulsating faintly in the background and can not find what is going on
I unplugged the maf sensor I had a slight dip in revs but nothing major drove down the road and had loss of power wen I accelerated
Plugged back in and traction control light stayed on please help cheers in advance

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
On my mk1 Leon aum 1.8t 20vt my traction control light is pulsating faintly in the background and can not find what is going on
I unplugged the maf sensor I had a slight dip in revs but nothing major drove down the road and had loss of power wen I accelerated
Plugged back in and traction control light stayed on please help cheers in advance
At least you know the MAF is working fine, leave it plugged in. Is traction control kicking in or just the light flickering? How long have you had it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 2, 2019
7 to 8 months traction control light flickering when I put my foot down spins up the road also the Rev counter delays if that makes sense mate

Feb 2, 2019
Also still stays on when keys out and locked up so when I come out to my car the next morning it’s flat

davezx

Feb 19, 2013
doncaster
You may have a broken wire or sensor shorting out the traction control sensor.
Have you tried to remove the fuse for it and see if it stops your issue(only temporary) that would at least let you know if its the traction control at fault or another issue giving signs of it been that.
when you spin the wheels does the traction control actually kick in or does it let you keep them spinning?
you mention the revs are delayed but not power maybe this is whats telling it that theres an issue.
most likely sensor related and i would be checking that area first.

Feb 2, 2019
Okay I will try that thanks only the revs on counter when I rev it the counter like jumps up the Rev instead of smoothly thank you very much mate

Feb 2, 2019
Where is the fuse for the traction control also if I remove the fuse and that stops how would I go about finding the problem with it if that makes sense

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
There is an increasingly common fault with the instrument cluster....it causes any/all of the following:
1. The back lights to flicker, and to stay on without the key in the ignition.
2. Dim warning lights that shouldn't be there. (there is no fault, just the light)
3. The revs/speedo/fuel/temp gauges to stutter, freeze or stop working.
4. The immobiliser to stop talking to the ECU, and then the car won't start! (Although once it has started,then for safety reasons it will continue to run no matter what the immo/cluster does)

There are companies that will repair the cluster for £150 ish if you send it off to them...You will not be able to start the car whiie it is away!
Another option is to buy a new one, £401 from SEAT!! plus you will need it coded to your car.
The third option is a secondhand one, (although it may well have the same fault) you will need the PIN from the old car, the PIN from your car and someone to code it for you. All in all a bit of a nightmare.

I have had this issue and it's caused by where the 2 connectors on the back of the cluster join the circuit board. Unfortunately there are about 40 pins on each socket, they are very close together , and they all need to be resoldered.

I also found this fault only occured in the winter, when the cluster gets cold at night. I believe the metal contracts with the cold, and that causes the bad solder joints to pull apart. If you remove the cluster, take it inside the house and warm it up, you will usually find that it will go back to working fine when you reinstall it.

Just be thankful that the dash cluster is about the only thing in the car that the spanish actually made! Luckily for us, the rest is straight out of the audi.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019
That’s exactly my problem like a short circuit it loses power now but take my foot off the throttle then have full power can that still be caused by it cheers for all your help fellas much appreciated

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
the epc light is a separate light to the engine management light that is there to make you aware of a fault being registered in the electrical system on your car, this light most commonly comes on when there is a fault on the brake light switch, if the light is currently on get some one to check if the brake lights on.

Feb 2, 2019
Disconnected battery re plugged it back Epc light turned off now air bag light on I want someone that knows what there doing and not get ripped off anyone live in East Sussex lol it defo electrical at least I no one thing mate

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
EPC light is the light just for the electronic throttle system. As with most modern cars, there is no throttle cable on the 1.8t engines. When you press the throttle pedal the computer moves the throttle butterfly an appropriate amount. You need someone with VCDS to scan it really.

As for the airbag light, that can also be triggered by the cluster fault. I forgot to add it to the list earlier. It shows up as a lack of communication between the airbag controller and the canbus circuit in the cluster. Again, it can be reset using VCDS.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.