Plastic panel in scuttle?

Sean Bagel

Apr 9, 2009
Hi all,

On my 03 Leon Cupra there's a small matt plastic panel in the scuttle (the surround around the windscreen where the windscreen wipers are).

This panel has cracked and has a hole in it - I've taped it up with gaffer tape for the time being but does anyone know what purpose it serves?

Could I cut a new panel and put it over the top of it?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Do you mean a transparent panel, or one that was transparent when new? If so, it's a window so you can read the VIN number stamped onto the bodyshell. It goes brittle and cracks fairly easily with age.

Last edited:

halsall1987

Jul 22, 2012
Basingstoke
It's happened to mine, I'm planning on getting a metal plate etched with the vin number and riveting it to the scuttle panel. Should look pretty neat!

Sean Bagel

Apr 9, 2009
Do you mean a transparent panel, or one that was transparent when new? If so, it's a window so you can read the VIN number stamped onto the bodyshell. It goes brittle and cracks fairly easily with age.

Sounds like the fella - transparent when new I would say. I've also got the VIN on a panel on one of the engine mounts too.

Will take a pic and put it up tomorrow - I'm in the Engineering trade so might get a stainless steel plate made or another plastic one!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The point about this display of the VIN number is that it's stamped into the shell itself, not applied afterwards as a label, so it is as definitive as you can get.

I'd mend a cracked panel with heavy-duty clear tape, or if it had gone opaque, replace with a piece of clear plastic stuck down with heavy-duty tape. You want the panel to be sealed to stop the wet getting into the scuttle tray where the ECU is mounted.

Last edited:

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Sorry to revive an old thread if it's frowned upon, but I have the same problem as the OP, in that the plastic window on my scuttle plate is cracked and broken too.

Could water getting through this small panel on the scuttle plate cause water/moisture to appear to be coming from somewhere above the pedals?

If so, what's the best way to seal this damaged "window"?

After doing the nearside doors a couple of months ago, and re-doing the sealing the driver door after a microswitch repair just last week, it looks like I have another leak to track down.

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks for the link.

From what I gather from reading some other posts, the pollen filter issues would result in water in the passenger footwell, whereas mine is in the drivers footwell.

But the info in the link will certainly help me in getting the scuttle plate off to have a look below. Apparently there are a few places on the drivers side that can allow leaks, so I'll have a look tomorrow.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I've trimmed mine back to the black plastic , hasn't had any real effect om water ingress. I would say your leakage problems are around the same locations mine are/were.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Yeah, mines had a massive hole in the VIN plate window since I've owned it. Just tidied up the jagged bits with a stanley knife and left it.

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Had a look today, and found that the exit for the water down into the wheel arch was blocked with black "matter", as has been reported in other threads. It was a good half-fist worth of a wodge, so it's clear that the rain had been held up in this area, giving it time to get though somewhere else into the cabin.

Also, the plastic "gutter" on the drivers side under the scuttle plate was dislodged on the closed side, so all the water coming off the drivers side of the window was flowing back towards the middle of the car, before coming back again towards the exit. The "gutter" was actually full of water when I got down to it. Thinking about it, if the "gutter" was properly in place, the velocity of the rainwater running off it might have been sufficient to keep the exit clear of debris.

Anyway, I got down to the cable box, took it off and gave it a good clean on the sealing surfaces, and thought for a while whether I should use a bit of silicone around it. I was unsure about doing so, because I was thinking the seals on the box, along with the raised lip on the metal that the seals interface with, should be sufficient to keep running rainwater moving off the car, as long as the exit is clear, but in the end I put a bead of silicone along the inner seal. I found that the seal on this cable box wasn't of the sealing foam like in the doors, as I had seen reported elsewhere, but was better flexible rubber, and I was ready to use some butyl tape around it if it was, but was of the opinion that clearing the exit, having the "gutter" in the correct place, and having clean seals on the cable box should be enough. But like I said, I also used a bit of silicone too.

Not a big fan of using silicone, as someone (dealer) had done the drivers door with silicone some years back, and I had to redo it a few months ago because the silicone had broken down and was letting water into the cabin this route. It took me longer to scrape the old silicone off the door to clean the surface for the butyl tape, than the time for the rest of the work on the door, so that was annoying.

There was also some material around the outside of the inner (upper) edge of the cable box, down as far as the screw posts. It was brittle, and broke away and cleaned off quite easily. I thought it was perhaps butyl tape, whether there from the factory, or installed later, I don't know, but I didn't try to copy what it was trying to do. Hopefully, I've done enough between clearing, cleaning and siliconeing.

I didn't go near the bonnet cable grommet, as it looked sound.

Not using the car for 4 or 5 days, so might try to lift the carpet to dry it out, I don't think the newspaper and bricks are going to do it as quickly as getting air to all sides will do.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I had the cracked opaque plastic window on scuttle plater which I thought looked crap so I cut it all out and covered with trusty Duct Tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise