Mk1 seat Leon won't start after new sump

Feb 13, 2019
Fitted new sump and now car won't start. Oil warning light comes on and beeps 3 times. Saying there no oil when it's filled to max. Had someone out to fix faults with ecu. All solved. Car will still not start. Bloke said could be timing out.
Any advice and info would be very much appreciated.

Feb 13, 2019
Fitted new sump and now car won't start. Oil warning light comes on and beeps 3 times. Saying there no oil when it's filled to max. Had someone out to fix faults with ecu. All solved. Car will still not start. Bloke said could be timing out.
Any advice and info would be very much appreciated.
Would a tow n bump start work?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Could it be anything to do with the low oil warning?
I wouldn't have thought so but all I can think is the sensor in the sump unplugged?

If not maybe wiring connected to it. Maybe lambda?
If its petrol I'd be pulling a plug to check for spark etc, make sure it's getting a spark and fuel.

Certainly a bizarre one though

Feb 13, 2019
Could it be anything to do with the low oil warning?
I wouldn't have thought so but all I can think is the sensor in the sump unplugged?

If not maybe wiring connected to it. Maybe lambda?
If its petrol I'd be pulling a plug to check for spark etc, make sure it's getting a spark and fuel.

Certainly a bizarre one though
I didn't see the oil sensor when I took off old sump so don't know where its situated.
It's a 1.9 tdi. Is very bizarre.
No idea what so ever.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I didn't see the oil sensor when I took off old sump so don't know where its situated.
It's a 1.9 tdi. Is very bizarre.
No idea what so ever.

If it has a level sensor it's in the bottom of the sump, you would've had to unplug it to get the sump off so it maybe doesn't have one.
But then why would it say there's not oil?

This gets weirder lol

Is it the ALH or ASV engine? Or is it a bit newer with a PD lump?

Feb 13, 2019
I've seen the pics for oil sensor on sump. Mine doesn't have one on the sump.
It's 2002 1.9 tdi.
I really don't know much about seat Leon's.
First one. Only had it a couple months.
I read up on the oil warning light and 3 beeps. Apparently that means there no oil.
Ecu had faults fixed but still won't start. Just got told might be timing as fuel pump is working.
All can do is check if tdc tomorrow.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh the oil warning is just because of the long cranking I reckin, a red herring lol.

You could pop a boost pipe off a give a little squirt of easy start or that. It should then fire briefly.
I actually read that fixed somebodies car with the same problem lol

Feb 13, 2019
Yeh the oil warning is just because of the long cranking I reckin, a red herring lol.

You could pop a boost pipe off a give a little squirt of easy start or that. It should then fire briefly.
I actually read that fixed somebodies car with the same problem lol
I could try that.
All I know is the bloke who came round to sort ecu said he'd fixed the faults.
Tried jump starting it. Still wouldn't start. But there is a clicking noise which I thought was starter motor ie not getting enough power But he thinks maybe the timing. Cos I did try bumping it once put new sump n oil in as battery was completely flat.
Just really bizarre as car was perfectly fine till I replaced sump due to a crack n leaking oil.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Need really good quality jump leads to get enough poke to get it really cranking I find.

But they can be bizarre, I reckon your engine is a PD, they're even fussier lol

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh or borrow some, I've never bought them cause i couldn't justify it but i keep a towing bar in the boot lol

You could charge the battery overnight too

Feb 13, 2019
Yeh or borrow some, I've never bought them cause i couldn't justify it but i keep a towing bar in the boot lol

You could charge the battery overnight too
I'll borrow some at work tomorrow as they use them for the class 2 trucks. Should be good enough to use. I'll also check the timing belt just to make sure it's tdc. The bloke did say the clicking noise is the timing belt.
Could of moved it while trying to bump start the bloody thing lol.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Nah doubt it, belt is driven by the crank still so shouldn't matter. Timing could be out but you need vagcom/vcds to check it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.