Clutch pedal slamming to the floor

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
I've just been out to use the car and the clutch pedal slammed to the floor as soon as i touched it. I can hook it back up again. Any ideas on what the issue could be? The brake fluid reservoir is at about a quarter the way up from the min line and there are no drips under the car.

Is there anything I can check? The car is a 2013 Leon FR TDI.

Cheers in advance.

Matt

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
If it goes to the floor without resistance you have either;
air in the hydraulic system,
master or slave cyls have failed,
pressure plate has collapsed.
clutch throwout arm has broken,
Master cyl push rod has failed.
If you have some mechanical knowledge you can check these things, but will need someone to help.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Looks like it's having a trip to the garage then. I replaced the heater matrix but I don't have tools or knowledge to do that stuff.

Ryan leckenby

Jan 2, 2019
Looks like it's having a trip to the garage then. I replaced the heater matrix but I don't have tools or knowledge to do that stuff.

This happened to mine there was no leaks I replaced the master cylinder which comes with the pedal. Didn’t fix it .

Took the gearbox out to have a look at the slave no leaks , replaced it now it’s fine even though there was no leak

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Had another look. The brake pedal is normal, not soft. I can't get it in gear with the engine running. Couldn't do much more than that as it was dark and I've not even bought a jack yet as the car didn't had one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ryan leckenby

Jan 2, 2019
Had another look. The brake pedal is normal, not soft. I can't get it in gear with the engine running. Couldn't do much more than that as it was dark and I've not even bought a jack yet as the car didn't had one.

If you pump the pedal does it get any pressure ?

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
The garage have got back to me. The slave cylinder gas gone so they have quoted me to replace the clutch and flywheel. Is the slave cylinder part of the clutch kit and would that have knackered the clutch and flywheel?

Ryan leckenby

Jan 2, 2019
The garage have got back to me. The slave cylinder gas gone so they have quoted me to replace the clutch and flywheel. Is the slave cylinder part of the clutch kit and would that have knackered the clutch and flywheel?

Is the flywheel rattling ? If it is it could have damaged it but mine was fine just Slave cylinder gone on mine it’s a separate
Part as it doesn’t come in a three piece kit

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

SOME clutch kits contain the slave cylinder.

Yes - if the slave has leaked - it has probably contaminated the clutch/flywheel surfaces.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand

There is no need to replace the clutch and flywheel as a matter of course. They may need to be inspected for damage/contamination, but if you have not lost a lot of fluid that's unlikely. If it was mine, I'd replace the slave cyl and see if that remedies the problem.
This sounds like a bullshit alert.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Is the flywheel rattling ? If it is it could have damaged it but mine was fine just Slave cylinder gone on mine it’s a separate
Part as it doesn’t come in a three piece kit

There was a rattle when accelerating, sounded like a loose heat shield and the occasional clunk just after I started reversing.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
There is no need to replace the clutch and flywheel as a matter of course. They may need to be inspected for damage/contamination, but if you have not lost a lot of fluid that's unlikely. If it was mine, I'd replace the slave cyl and see if that remedies the problem.
This sounds like a bullshit alert.

Luckily they are a good garage, the rear brakes were binding on my old car and they thought i had a seized rear caliper. It ended up being the pads rusted to the carrier so they fixed that and didn't replace the caliper.