Attending a Trackday?

Deleted member 103408

@Mtailor This is mine.

index.php

But the track rules tell you what you can and cant use.

Have a read of this
https://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/...ute=information/information&information_id=18

Give you some idea of uk rules.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Completely off topic, which type of helmet do you guys use? Is it an open face or closed face?

Hi.
If driving an open topped car then full face needs to be worn.
Otherwise open is ok.
Tbh I only wear a closed face as we are driving road cars not race cars.
It wasn’t on track but, I’ve seen a mate cut out of his car with his steering wheel completely buckled by his jaw. Seat belt was on too.
Destroyed his jaw and 90% of his teeth among other injuries.
Worst case scenario
I can afford the time off or dental bills for my hobby.
But each to their own.
My two cents worth.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Meeting you is costing me money :) They are not bad as I was expecting (about 190 a corner) any idea how well they last.

the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2 235/35-19 are supposed to be good as well

Anyway I have to save up for 4 new weels now to put this rubber on.

PS2 cups are supposed to be the daddy (as well A048's) but I've spent the last few years running Federal RSR's for warming up laps early on in the day then R888R's (on my second set of wheels) as the R888R's are still the best priced in my opinion. Surprised how good the RSR's are but have a small temperature window, ok in Cold as a road tyre and v.good on track between 15 degrees and 25 degrees ambient. But the R888R's warm up quicker and grip better, probably wouldn't run R888R's as road tyres as not sure there any good in the wet (same for proper semi-slicks) and would wear out pretty quick. In short you need that second set of wheels for the track!

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Here's what my brand new R888R looked like after a few laps of Thruxton last year (it was one of the hottest days of the year at 35 degs).

Attachments

• R888R hot-sml2.jpg
    R888R hot-sml2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 153

Deleted member 103408

Yes I am coming to that view (2nd set of wheels and tyres), I have seen very good right ups on the PS2 cups but there is a guy on here with the new Cupra R that comes with them as stock. Great on the road in the Dry but add a lot of excitement in the Wet.

Added to the list of things i need to spend cash on.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Here's a good write up (one of many) on Tyres

https://trackdays.ie/track-day-tyres/

There is a Youtube video reviewing PS4 vs PS4 Sport and PS2 cups in an M3 or a Porsche, that I see once and it was predictably PS4 best road tyre in wet, then PS4S then PS2 cup, which he said not great in wet. Then at other end of scale for dry performance. PS4 overheated too quick, PS4S great on road and track but then PS2 cup another level.

It's like most things really the best at one thing might not be the best at something else, so you have to decide what you want from your product.

I did price up PS2 cups but ended up going R888R's as I think they look more semi-slick and the Toyo's were cheaper. On your car R888R's will be mega when warmed up.

Also look at Tyreleader.co.uk, where I got mine from https://tinyurl.com/yajd36xe

Just checked out Bosstyres.com and they have PS2 cups for mine at £132 each (were like £179 last year!)

I know other people don't recommend Tyreleader, but I had no trouble with them or Boss Tyres.

Deleted member 103408

I need to learn to use all this power first before I spend all my retirement fund first me thinks :)

Deleted member 103408

Just a quick update we had a great day at cadwell park today.

Javelin are now offering FREE track day pictures, what this means is they are posting the pictures for each even here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javelintrackdays/albums

With a seperate album for each event.

You can download the pic for free and as you can see what you get is the detail in the bottom right hand corner.
Or you can pay to get the full quality picture for a cash payment.

47114995361_d6c0c204c0_o.jpg

Reactions: vwtrev and Maypack

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Just a quick update we had a great day at cadwell park today.

Javelin are now offering FREE track day pictures, what this means is they are posting the pictures for each even here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javelintrackdays/albums

With a seperate album for each event.

You can download the pic for free and as you can see what you get is the detail in the bottom right hand corner.
Or you can pay to get the full quality picture for a cash payment.

View attachment 4705

Awesome picture. That should’ve mounted and put on the wall in your garage or man cave

Deleted member 103408

And some strange things you meet at track days.

Jag E Type 4.2 (fastest car they made)

jag.jpg

and the Japanese copy of this great car 260 Z

nissan 260.jpg

And the engine bay

engine.jpg

With real SU Carbs.

And finally the Jap version of the Mustang

Toyota.jpg

The guy has fitted stainless steel exhaust to all three cars and they sound just fantastic.

He also has a Stag, Several MK3 Cortina's, Rover P6 Just a very lucky and nice bloke who loves to share his motors.

Reactions: vwtrev and Maypack

Deleted member 103408

Bedford Autodrome - 18th March all booked up and looking forward to a good day out.

Reactions: vwtrev

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
As a couple of people maybe interested in meeting up at Snetterton (even for passenger rides with myself / others) in April / May here's a list of the upcoming options.

theoldboy is there on 28th Feb and I'm there 25th March, so far...

index.php

Reactions: Jimbobcook

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Quick update: Was at Brands Hatch yesterday, It started damp, dried out but was cold for three hours then it chucked it down, so went home.

Did get in some enjoyable laps though, was impressed with my car's brakes (1st time running this pad / disc combo at this track) and despite a shredded tire (which I didn't realize till midday, which explains the lack of front grip) got consistently in the 59's.

I've posted a couple of videos on my YouTube Channel, sorry nothing as exciting as spinning off I'm afraid :)

GoPro + RaceChrono Pro:

Gear 360 camera 1st time of use:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members