Painting rear number plate plastic - advise

jkane92

Mar 30, 2015
Hello,
I've seen a lot of people have the plastic behind the rear number plate painted gloss black or colour coded to the body.
The people I've asked have used paint shops for it.
While I've got time off work I thinking of giving it ago.
Has anyone on here done theirs before and have any advice/ step by step?
Thank you

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I done mine on my mk2, the plastic is very slightly grainy, so needs to be sanded to a flat finish, other than that prime and paint as normal. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kiddo

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
Hello,
I've seen a lot of people have the plastic behind the rear number plate painted gloss black or colour coded to the body.
The people I've asked have used paint shops for it.
While I've got time off work I thinking of giving it ago.
Has anyone on here done theirs before and have any advice/ step by step?
Thank you
I have a spare, new piece of plastic I’m about to put up for sale. Bought it to do the same thing as you, but never found the time and now the car is going if you’re interested?

jkane92

Mar 30, 2015
I have a spare, new piece of plastic I’m about to put up for sale. Bought it to do the same thing as you, but never found the time and now the car is going if you’re interested?
I'm okay atm thank you. If it goes horribly wrong you might be recieving a message.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com

Can you make some photos of the back of the part?

I am also thinking about doing the same and it would be cool to find out how to remove it to paint it out of the car.

Reactions: S4BiT

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
And share the part number also, if it is from the facelift ST?! I have some plan also to colour-code it or paint to gloss black.

jkane92

Mar 30, 2015
I done mine on my mk2, the plastic is very slightly grainy, so needs to be sanded to a flat finish, other than that prime and paint as normal. :)

Did you use any specific primer and paint? It's just because the plastic is quite flexible, don't want the paint cracking

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Just normal paint and primer, all you need to be wary of is the primer sticking to the plastic which will only happen if you’ve sanded it properly.

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
I know that there are special primer for the plastics on market, so best to use this.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
b76b5421f8caee63797ca4eba234b84c.jpg

This was mine, no flakes or cracks in the two years since it was done.

Reactions: jkane92

jkane92

Mar 30, 2015
Did you use any specific primer and paint? It's just because the plastic is quite flexible, don't want the paint cracking
Okay I'll give it a go. When sanding down you want to get rid of the plastic texture but use a low grade of sand paper to leave the plastic rough so the primer adheres properly right?

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I assume you mean the insert?
I'd be interested if it's cheap.

I want to paint mine but would rather paint a spare then the one on the actual car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
I assume you mean the insert?
I'd be interested if it's cheap.

I want to paint mine but would rather paint a spare then the one on the actual car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yep the insert. I also have a new diffuser as well, bought both to paint gloss back, then fit and sell my originals.
Looking for £55 each.

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
And share the part number also, if it is from the facelift ST?! I have some plan also to colour-code it or paint to gloss black.

Can you make some photos of the back of the part?

I am also thinking about doing the same and it would be cool to find out how to remove it to paint it out of the car.

I’ll get some photos but if you look here, these are the parts. The insert fits all models, the diffuser fits SC and 5 door. Part numbers are on there, these are the ones I bought, just never used.
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....a-sc-5-door-rear-bumper-insert-pre-fl.444830/

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mk3-leon-cupra-sc-5-door-rear-diffuser.444831/

Reactions: Jaco2k

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I’ll get some photos but if you look here, these are the parts. The insert fits all models, the diffuser fits SC and 5 door. Part numbers are on there, these are the ones I bought, just never used.
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....a-sc-5-door-rear-bumper-insert-pre-fl.444830/

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mk3-leon-cupra-sc-5-door-rear-diffuser.444831/

Thanks - no need :) The links you just posted kinda answer all my questions :)
...just to confirm, these are facelift parts, correct?

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
Thanks - no need :) The links you just posted kinda answer all my questions :)
...just to confirm, these are facelift parts, correct?
Pre face lift it said on the original post, although to be honest I can’t see any difference on the face lift version, but that can be confirmed with the part numbers.

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
Facelift and prefacelift have some design differences in this place if you are searching for the pictures from rear side of the cars.

Sochaux

Jan 28, 2018
Sorry to bump a old thread but I’m looking to paint mine, does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to remove the insert?