aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the muthatrucker still leaks

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Curious as to how the work so far is holding up, as it's been wet around here the past couple of days.

I'm fighting with a seemingly similar leak, as also shown in one of your photos, the water in mine seems to be becoming visible on the flat spot near where the steering joint goes through the floor, there is a rubber plug in this area. My leak then seems to go under one of the floor-reinforcing panels, and then emerges from one of the seams in the footwell, either nearer the front left corner, or further back under the seat.

I've already silicon'ed the plastic cable box under the windscreen scuttle, so will try the bonnet cable grommet today, if I can dry it out that is.

Anywhere else that might need attention?

Were you able to see where it was getting in in the first place?

Also, the rubber plug near the steering joint, it seems to be plugging a hidden channel, does anyone know where it comes from, and where it emerges?

Feb 7, 2019
Curious as to how the work so far is holding up, as it's been wet around here the past couple of days.

I'm fighting with a seemingly similar leak, as also shown in one of your photos, the water in mine seems to be becoming visible on the flat spot near where the steering joint goes through the floor, there is a rubber plug in this area. My leak then seems to go under one of the floor-reinforcing panels, and then emerges from one of the seams in the footwell, either nearer the front left corner, or further back under the seat.

I've already silicon'ed the plastic cable box under the windscreen scuttle, so will try the bonnet cable grommet today, if I can dry it out that is.

Also, the rubber plug near the steering joint, it seems to be plugging a hidden channel, does anyone know where it comes from, and where it emerges?

Feb 7, 2019
Any photos of the leaks tho. My cars away getting the rear washer hose re piped as that caused a leak also every time I used it Plus then it's getting a leak sorted also due to the heavy rain was had the other day was leaking under the dash at drivers footwell so if they tell me where it was coming from i can tell You..

Feb 7, 2019
Any photos of the leaks tho. My cars away getting the rear washer hose re piped as that caused a leak also every time I used it Plus then it's getting a leak sorted also due to the heavy rain was had the other day was leaking under the dash at drivers footwell so if they tell me where it was coming from i can tell You..
Most likely its coming from under the scuttle pannel all needs Cleaned out to help the drains flow better Or A worn rubber grommet are Something needs sealed like a hole in the corner the issue will always be in the Same area the leaks in roughly

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
The first photo shows where the water is appearing on mine. There is water on the ledge indicated by the green arrow, I haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from to get to here, but hoping it's from under the scuttle panel, either cable box or the bonnet cable grommet (second picture).

The water also seems to emerge at the red circle. I can't see it flow to this point, so it must be flowing under the reinforcing panel, perhaps from the ledge above it (green arrow).

The water at the yellow circle is from when I was cleaning out under the scuttle panel today, around the bonnet cable grommet, and along the channel on the bulkhead, down towards the exit over the wheel arch. I can see it coming down a white plastic "chute" up behind the instrument panel. I am going to try silicone around the grommet today, both at the base, and also up where the cable enters the grommet; I did around the cable box beside it last week.

I don't think there are any other holes or cracks in this area that might let water into the cabin, unless it is leaking along the seam below the grommet and cable box. I'd say that's less likely, but I've seen other posts indicating that the bulkhead seam needed to be done, and I'm presuming they meant this seam.

The blue arrow just points to the rubber bung on the ledge. I'm curious as to why this is here. There seems to be a channel down in it.

I needed to go into the boot a few years back, but it was just a pipe that had popped off. I wouldn't relish having to replace the whole piping.

Attachments

• pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 73
  • grommet.jpg
    grommet.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 97
Feb 7, 2019
The first photo shows where the water is appearing on mine. There is water on the ledge indicated by the green arrow, I haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from to get to here, but hoping it's from under the scuttle panel, either cable box or the bonnet cable grommet (second picture).

The water also seems to emerge at the red circle. I can't see it flow to this point, so it must be flowing under the reinforcing panel, perhaps from the ledge above it (green arrow).

The water at the yellow circle is from when I was cleaning out under the scuttle panel today, around the bonnet cable grommet, and along the channel on the bulkhead, down towards the exit over the wheel arch. I can see it coming down a white plastic "chute" up behind the instrument panel. I am going to try silicone around the grommet today, both at the base, and also up where the cable enters the grommet; I did around the cable box beside it last week.

I don't think there are any other holes or cracks in this area that might let water into the cabin, unless it is leaking along the seam below the grommet and cable box. I'd say that's less likely, but I've seen other posts indicating that the bulkhead seam needed to be done, and I'm presuming they meant this seam.

The blue arrow just points to the rubber bung on the ledge. I'm curious as to why this is here. There seems to be a channel down in it.

I needed to go into the boot a few years back, but it was just a pipe that had popped off. I wouldn't relish having to replace the whole piping.

Feb 7, 2019

My phone's playing about!!!! Was gonna say If you seal the blue an green area but then ot could build up an over flow somewhere else but thats same area im having mine

Feb 7, 2019

I needed to go into the boot a few years back, but it was just a pipe that had popped off. I wouldn't relish having to replace the whole piping.[/QUO Please keep me posted on this one mate as I've the same leak your having an need ot sorted as it's starting to cause an odour due to the dampness it's not flooded but when a damp patch reaccures it causes an odour an smells but damages the interrior cloth

Feb 7, 2019

Attachments

• 20190202_142042.jpg
    20190202_142042.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
My phone's playing about!!!! Was gonna say If you seal the blue an green area but then ot could build up an over flow somewhere else but thats same area im having mine

Yes, I think the water needs to be stopped where it's getting in, otherwise it will build up, then start to come out somewhere else, and/or begin to rot the body. Given the amount of water and how long it's been there in our cars, I'm surprised the bottoms aren't falling out of them!

Anyway, I silicone'ed up the grommet, and dried out all the places I could see wet, so will leave it a couple of days to see if it's helped.

Feb 7, 2019
Yes, I think the water needs to be stopped where it's getting in, otherwise it will build up, then start to come out somewhere else, and/or begin to rot the body. Given the amount of water and how long it's been there in our cars, I'm surprised the bottoms aren't falling out of them!

Anyway, I silicone'ed up the grommet, and dried out all the places I could see wet, so will leave it a couple of days to see if it's helped.
Where's the grommet that you sealed so I know what to look out for?? I hate this leak where all did you seal just the grommet?

Feb 7, 2019

Keep in touch mate an please let me know if you find any more info as you've got the same leak I have

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
The 2 circled green areas are under the scuttle panel, drivers side. In case you don't know what the scuttle panel is (I didn't until a few days ago investigating my leaks), it's the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen, it has some cut-outs where the wipers sweep rainwater into the scuttle channel.

The wipers need to come off though, and the long rubber seal that separates the scuttle channel from the engine bay. Plus you will need to take off the pollen cover, but take note how it is all assembled before/if doing so. I also took out the wiper motor and frame to make it easier to clean the area (with an old toothbrush) and get rid of as much dirt as possible before applying the silicone.

The lower green circled thing is the bonnet cable grommet, and the upper green circled thing is a possible hole that might be letting water into the drivers footwell.

I've silicone'ed up the grommet (at the base where it enters the car) and also at the top where the cable enters the grommet. I didn't silicone the upper one though, it didn't look like a hole, but I'll have a better look in the morning, and seal it up anyway.

I also cleaned and silicone'ed up the rectangular plastic box to the right of the picture. It's referred to as the bulkhead cable box, or electrical box, and maybe some other names in various thread on this leak issue.

Feb 7, 2019
The 2 circled green areas are under the scuttle panel, drivers side. In case you don't know what the scuttle panel is (I didn't until a few days ago investigating my leaks), it's the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen, it has some cut-outs where the wipers sweep rainwater into the scuttle channel.

The wipers need to come off though, and the long rubber seal that separates the scuttle channel from the engine bay. Plus you will need to take off the pollen cover, but take note how it is all assembled before/if doing so. I also took out the wiper motor and frame to make it easier to clean the area (with an old toothbrush) and get rid of as much dirt as possible before applying the silicone.

The lower green circled thing is the bonnet cable grommet, and the upper green circled thing is a possible hole that might be letting water into the drivers footwell.

I've silicone'ed up the grommet (at the base where it enters the car) and also at the top where the cable enters the grommet. I didn't silicone the upper one though, it didn't look like a hole, but I'll have a better look in the morning, and seal it up anyway.

I also cleaned and silicone'ed up the rectangular plastic box to the right of the picture. It's referred to as the bulkhead cable box, or electrical box, and maybe some other names in various thread on this leak issue.
Thanks hopefully that's the problem fixed with it being sealed but you'll need to let me know after a good pure down of rain then if it's dry you know it's worked then I can attempt mine also Thanks for the info mate keep me informed thank you

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
W

Wheret is that tho on the car them green circled areas that need sealed???

The red lines show roughly where I've silicone'ed, or intend to do. Note that around the base of the grommet, I put copious amounts around the interface between the rubber grommet and the body work. You can get a better idea of that from the pictures in the following thread, around the middle of the page. In fact, have a look though all 7 pages of that thread, you might get some ideas:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/water-leak-above-pedals.185596/page-4

Also, just to be clear, I removed the rectangular electrical box, cleaned the seal and surfaces underneath it, before applying some silicone to the lip, and then pressing the rectangular box down onto it, and fastening it down with the 2 nuts. It helps to unplug the connectors too (4 on mine).

I also marked (yellow) the place where the water is supposed to exit the scuttle channel, make sure there is no dirt at this hole, mine had a fair plug of black silty/organic material which probably let the water sit in that area, and infiltrate the seals on the grommet and box.

The lowest part of the picture also has a blue line, which shows the direction the water should go along the lowest part of the scuttle channel to get to the exit at the left. I gave that channel a good clean. I think some people have ended up siliconeing this part too, you may see it referred to as the bulkhead seam (I think). I'm hoping it doesn't come to that for me.

Attachments

• Inkedgrommet_LI_c.jpg
    Inkedgrommet_LI_c.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019
The red lines show roughly where I've silicone'ed, or intend to do. Note that around the base of the grommet, I put copious amounts around the interface between the rubber grommet and the body work. You can get a better idea of that from the pictures in the following thread, around the middle of the page. In fact, have a look though all 7 pages of that thread, you might get some ideas:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/water-leak-above-pedals.185596/page-4

Also, just to be clear, I removed the rectangular electrical box, cleaned the seal and surfaces underneath it, before applying some silicone to the lip, and then pressing the rectangular box down onto it, and fastening it down with the 2 nuts. It helps to unplug the connectors too (4 on mine).

I also marked (yellow) the place where the water is supposed to exit the scuttle channel, make sure there is no dirt at this hole, mine had a fair plug of black silty/organic material which probably let the water sit in that area, and infiltrate the seals on the grommet and box.

The lowest part of the picture also has a blue line, which shows the direction the water should go along the lowest part of the scuttle channel to get to the exit at the left. I gave that channel a good clean. I think some people have ended up siliconeing this part too, you may see it referred to as the bulkhead seam (I think). I'm hoping it doesn't come to that for me.[/QUO

The lowest part of the picture also has a blue line, which shows the direction the water should go along the lowest part of the scuttle channel to get to the exit at the left. I gave that channel a good clean. I think some people have ended up siliconeing this part too, you may see it referred to as the bulkhead seam (I think). I'm hoping it doesn't come to that for me.
Thanks for all that info mate fingers crossed it all works out an it stops the leak hopefully it's nothing else