aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the muthatrucker still leaks

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
I'd to dry mine with a hair drier as it was damp

Because of the amount of water in mine, I ended up taking off a lot of trim, and the centre console to get the carpet up, and the soundproofing/insulation out, as you can probably see in one of my photos. The drivers seat also came out, battery was disconnected first, and then airbag connector disconnected. I've just thrown the drivers seat on the back seat for the moment.

The soundproofing/insulation had to be cut out though, the back was easier than the front, but the stuff under the drivers carpet is tougher stuff. I haven't vigorously been drying it out, but after about 5 days, it's nearly there. I've read of others using dehumidifiers, garden rollers, tumble driers, etc. to dry the stuff out though.

The carpet though will dry out quite quickly in the car, once it is lifted and separated from the soundproofing/insulation, mine dried out in a few hours with a warm breeze blowing through the open doors.

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks for all that info mate fingers crossed it all works out an it stops the leak hopefully it's nothing else

Yeah, hopefully it's nothing else, and even if it doesn't leak, I don't think I'll be putting back the centre console, foot rests or side trims for several weeks, soundproofing/insulation, carpet and drivers seat will be all for the moment.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I was just out looking at it, I took off the trim under the steering wheel earlier today, and noticed that there is a white plastic chute above the accelerator pedal that goes all the way up to the rectangular electrical bulkhead box, and it looks like if the leak is getting in under the box, you should be able to see it coming down this chute.

Feb 7, 2019
Yeah, hopefully it's nothing else, and even if it doesn't leak, I don't think I'll be putting back the centre console, foot rests or side trims for several weeks, soundproofing/insulation, carpet and drivers seat will be all for the moment.

I was just out looking at it, I took off the trim under the steering wheel earlier today, and noticed that there is a white plastic chute above the accelerator pedal that goes all the way up to the rectangular electrical bulkhead box, and it looks like if the leak is getting in under the box, you should be able to see it coming down this chute.
what about the brake servo there's been many leaks in other cars due to that do you think it could be getting in through get somewhere just another idea it's bound to be somewhere from your pics if it's not the servo

Feb 7, 2019

Well hows things on your motor did you spot any leaks still??

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
Don't know yet, the silicone sealant I used wasn't setting, so I had to clean it all off, get new sealant, and redo the bonnet cable release grommet and the electrical box beside it. Had never come across sealant that wouldn't set before, usually it goes hard in the tube, but this stuff was still gooey after several days, and had only been freshly opened, but there was no use by date on the tube, and I don't know how long it has been around.

This new stuff appears to have set ok overnight, so I will pour some water over it over the course of today and tomorrow, as there isn't much rain here at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Since I have the scuttle plate off, I'm half thinking of doing the pollen filter housing as a pre-emptive measure.

Feb 7, 2019
Don't know yet, the silicone sealant I used wasn't setting, so I had to clean it all off, get new sealant, and redo the bonnet cable release grommet and the electrical box beside it. Had never come across sealant that wouldn't set before, usually it goes hard in the tube, but this stuff was still gooey after several days, and had only been freshly opened, but there was no use by date on the tube, and I don't know how long it has been around.

This new stuff appears to have set ok overnight, so I will pour some water over it over the course of today and tomorrow, as there isn't much rain here at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Since I have the scuttle plate off, I'm half thinking of doing the pollen filter housing as a pre-emptive measure.[/QU That's the kinda luck I'd have mate. But hopefully that new one will do the trick an hopefully keep the water out then if it work's I'll know to do mine

Feb 7, 2019

Since I have the scuttle plate off, I'm half thinking of doing the pollen filter housing as a pre-emptive measure.
What silicone did you use that was the bad one as I don't wanna end up buying that as that's something that would happen too lol I like a good one that drys fast an lasts a life time

Feb 7, 2019

So far no rain yet down in my area which is around the Lisburn & belfast area least with it of it'll keep drying out what was damp before but keep in touch mate as your problem is the same as mine an its better to get them sorted before the bad winter weather comes in again But hopefully if I find any any issues about the leak I'll let you no also

Feb 7, 2019
Probably be a flood in are cars then if its to rain heavy for few days straight mines going in on Tuesday to be sealed everywhere under the scuttle pannel So if it leaks after that still then that'll narrow it down to where to seal next

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016

Just to update on what I've done...

After sealing the bonnet cable release grommet and the electrical box beside it, I was still getting a leak developing behind the pedals, specifically on the horizontal ledge that the steering joint goes through, and the odd drop on the accelerator pedal. On the horizontal ledge, it seems to be issuing from the black plate that the pedals are bolted to. I must add that when I was pouring water to test, I was pouring about 1 litre at a time, starting near the centre wiper motor mount, and sloshing it all down towards the exit, making sure it washed around the electrical box and cable grommet.

I then noticed that in the scuttle gutter, near the centre mount for the wiper motor, there is a softer covering panel over the gutter seam, and at this interface, it is quite soft and I can see the water squelching when I press at this point, which is circled yellow in the first picture.

So I decided to do some sealing with silicone at this area, and along other edges of this panel in the scuttle gutter, as seen in the second photo. There is also a cut square in this panel further up the gutter that has what looks like something to mount on it (not present in my car), so I sealed up that as well, also can be seen in the photo.

After testing with more water, I've found that I'm still getting some water in, but it has been curtailed significantly, so have a look at this softer covering panel, particularly where it crosses the seam, and silicone it if you think fit. I think they used some type of bitumen-like adhesive on these panels, which has dried out a bit over the years and shrunk, making a gap.

I didn't do much water testing yesterday, but it was a fine warm day yesterday, but when I was looking around at it today, I noticed a rusty spot behind the electrical box (3rd photo). It is very small, but if there is rust there, there must be a hole, to some unprotected area of metal underneath. It's only a couple of millimetres, but may be enough to let some water in, in some other threads I've seen others find small holes that could cause problems. So I ended up siliconeing this hole, and the whole area of that seam behind the box as well (4th photo). It may be overkill, and there might not be much getting in normally, and I might only be seeing it get in because of the volume of water I've been dumping in and around that area to check for leaks, but hopefully it does the job.

Going to put back what's necessary to be able to drive the car, but will leave some inner trim off for another few weeks, and check after any rainfall to see if the work holds up.

Also, because the scuttle panel was off, I ended up doing the pollen filter but didn't use silicone, I used some butyl tape, after scraping off the foam seal that was on it. I don't think water had ever infiltrated past it, but one side of the seal came off very easily (uphill side), so failure may have been forthcoming. There was also a bit of dirt and leaves underneath the lower filter housing that would help retain moisture and dirt, so I'm glad I tackled that as well. I also silicone'd up the blank grommet beside the pollen filter.

Finally, just to say I also cleaned surfaces before applying the silicone sealant, with 70% isopropyl alcohol. I really needed to do it because of the problems I had with the first silicone tube I applied which wouldn't set (probably essentially silicone grease applied). But it's always a good idea to clean the surfaces before applying silicone sealant.

Attachments

• mk1_seam180.jpg
    mk1_seam180.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 86
  • mk1_seamfill.jpg
    mk1_seamfill.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 82
  • mk1_rustyhole.jpg
    mk1_rustyhole.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 82
  • mk1_moresili.jpg
    mk1_moresili.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019
Hopefully it stays dry for ya & Hopefully it works! I'm just gonna seal EVERYTHING the whole bottom layer around everything

Feb 7, 2019
Just to update on what I've done...

After sealing the bonnet cable release grommet and the electrical box beside it, I was still getting a leak developing behind the pedals, specifically on the horizontal ledge that the steering joint goes through, and the odd drop on the accelerator pedal. On the horizontal ledge, it seems to be issuing from the black plate that the pedals are bolted to. I must add that when I was pouring water to test, I was pouring about 1 litre at a time, starting near the centre wiper motor mount, and sloshing it all down towards the exit, making sure it washed around the electrical box and cable grommet.

I then noticed that in the scuttle gutter, near the centre mount for the wiper motor, there is a softer covering panel over the gutter seam, and at this interface, it is quite soft and I can see the water squelching when I press at this point, which is circled yellow in the first picture.

So I decided to do some sealing with silicone at this area, and along other edges of this panel in the scuttle gutter, as seen in the second photo. There is also a cut square in this panel further up the gutter that has what looks like something to mount on it (not present in my car), so I sealed up that as well, also can be seen in the photo.

After testing with more water, I've found that I'm still getting some water in, but it has been curtailed significantly, so have a look at this softer covering panel, particularly where it crosses the seam, and silicone it if you think fit. I think they used some type of bitumen-like adhesive on these panels, which has dried out a bit over the years and shrunk, making a gap.

I didn't do much water testing yesterday, but it was a fine warm day yesterday, but when I was looking around at it today, I noticed a rusty spot behind the electrical box (3rd photo). It is very small, but if there is rust there, there must be a hole, to some unprotected area of metal underneath. It's only a couple of millimetres, but may be enough to let some water in, in some other threads I've seen others find small holes that could cause problems. So I ended up siliconeing this hole, and the whole area of that seam behind the box as well (4th photo). It may be overkill, and there might not be much getting in normally, and I might only be seeing it get in because of the volume of water I've been dumping in and around that area to check for leaks, but hopefully it does the job.

Going to put back what's necessary to be able to drive the car, but will leave some inner trim off for another few weeks, and check after any rainfall to see if the work holds up.

Also, because the scuttle panel was off, I ended up doing the pollen filter but didn't use silicone, I used some butyl tape, after scraping off the foam seal that was on it. I don't think water had ever infiltrated past it, but one side of the seal came off very easily (uphill side), so failure may have been forthcoming. There was also a bit of dirt and leaves underneath the lower filter housing that would help retain moisture and dirt, so I'm glad I tackled that as well. I also silicone'd up the blank grommet beside the pollen filter.

Finally, just to say I also cleaned surfaces before applying the silicone sealant, with 70% isopropyl alcohol. I really needed to do it because of the problems I had with the first silicone tube I applied which wouldn't set (probably essentially silicone grease applied). But it's always a good idea to clean the surfaces before applying silicone sealant.
Well Any sign of leaks after that heavy rain on the weekend I ended up with a tiny leak in the boot this time. Plus My drivers footwell was dry enough just bit of moisture in it when ya push down on it slow leaks for ya

Feb 7, 2019
Has Anyone ever had a leak in there boot sidewall?? I have one the rear Drivers side SIDEWALL Carpet is damp along the bottom an water building up under the spare wheel? Where would it be getting on from would it be the light??

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Has Anyone ever had a leak in there boot sidewall?? I have one the rear Drivers side SIDEWALL Carpet is damp along the bottom an water building up under the spare wheel? Where would it be getting on from would it be the light??
Not the drivers side but I've had a small leak in the passenger side. The rear wash wipe water feed popped off at a junction. Think it's fairly common.

Feb 7, 2019
Mines not the washer pipe Mines due to rain water thats getting in the rear boot at the side wall driverside yesterday I bought a new boot seal & new tailgate light from Seat got them on last night it lashed but still leaking in se area so I'm confused big-time

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.