Cupra Ateca - just saw it in the flesh

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
...and... Meh!

Brought my car in for an oil change and went to the showroom to make time.

I was VERY disappointed by the Cupra Ateca - the bodykit looks totally like a bolt-on and out of place, the style is a bit Type-R-ish (and I don't meant it in a good way...) and the interior space is more Ibiza than Leon.
Then I popped the trunk and was shocked - there is no space at all!
Might be it drives great and that is the saving grace, but otherwise... Really not for me.
Cannot understand the sales guy that while ago was desperate to get me to test-drive one, likely with the idea of me trading in my Cupra for.... That.

lasnah

Jan 30, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
My friend from the dealership and I drove the Cupra Ateca couple of weeks ago. Thought it was brilliant! Really snappy like a Cupra should be. The most annoying thing was the fact that Seat has decided to remove the physical ESP button from the dashboard and you have to find it through the menu and that's like finding your way out of a maze (FR owners know what I'm talking about). But overall I liked it very much.
IMG_20190206_092903.jpg

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
This is the specific car I saw in the flesh, except it has now some winter wheels: https://www.laakkonen.fi/auto/seat/cupra-ateca/rua-163/

Again, as I said, maybe the drive is quite nice - have no opinion on that until I drive one.
The size is noticeably smaller than the Leon.
Rubbish. It might be shorter than the ST, but there's more leg room and more space in the boot than the hatch (unless things changed dramatically when they facelifted the Leon). I can comfortably sit behind myself in the Ateca, whereas getting my feet in the rear passenger footwell in the Leon requires some contortion with the driver's seat in my position.

Reactions: perelaar

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
You will always have more space for your legs in the back of an SUV since your legs can hang down because of the higher seating position,although the measurement between the front of the rear sear base and the back of the front seats may be no greater than normal.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
You will always have more space for your legs in the back of an SUV since your legs can hang down because of the higher seating position,although the measurement between the front of the rear sear base and the back of the front seats may be no greater than normal.
Yes, but my size 11 clodhoppers fit in much more easily in the Ateca so there must be more distance between the front and rear seats as well.

Reactions: seatgraham

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
They'll sell all they can get down here. We are obsessed with bloody SUV's, and this gives more performance per buck than anything else on the market.
As much as I hate to say it, if I had to buy one, it'd be the Ateca

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
...and... Meh!

Brought my car in for an oil change and went to the showroom to make time.

I was VERY disappointed by the Cupra Ateca - the bodykit looks totally like a bolt-on and out of place, the style is a bit Type-R-ish (and I don't meant it in a good way...) and the interior space is more Ibiza than Leon.
Then I popped the trunk and was shocked - there is no space at all!
Might be it drives great and that is the saving grace, but otherwise... Really not for me.
Cannot understand the sales guy that while ago was desperate to get me to test-drive one, likely with the idea of me trading in my Cupra for.... That.

Got to be honest it's 90% there speed wise with the 4DRIVE ST and handles better than you would expect.

Also got to be honest, I think it looks dreadful, like an FR on steroids with a **** badge. The rear profile with the quad exhaust looks nice and different but the rest isn't great.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.