Cambelt kit help?

Gazaho

Nov 27, 2016
Hi guys and girls,

Getting my water pump and cambelt replaces on Wednesday hopefully but I need to purchase the kit first, I'm a bit unsure what to go for as my friends gave multiple comments...

Euro Car Parts INA Kit at £166.99 product code: 348770528 with a discount code it comes to £111.88

GSF PART NO : 129VG0440 at £168.00 and with discount code it's £77.28

Technically are they both the same? Thanks guys

Rich-I-Am

Dec 8, 2015
Bedford
Have a see if you have a TPS near to you. Genuine parts at slightly under dealer prices. You cant beat genuine ( money permitting of course).

LCR55

May 22, 2017
Personally i'd go with GSF. Whats the discount code as i'd be interested in buying a set for my LCR also..

Gazaho

Nov 27, 2016
Ended up paying the extra for the one at euro as the code for GSF expired last night :(

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

Doing my cambelt soon and am buying the kit (Mk1 1.9tdi FR 150) in the next few days, but wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for brands for either quality or longevity?

My OEM part has lasted 80k so far (touch wood), so I don't mind paying for that, but if they're much of a muchness, then there's not much point paying the extra.

Thanks in advance! If you need any information from me, just ask...

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

Doing my cambelt soon and am buying the kit (Mk1 1.9tdi FR 150) in the next few days, but wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for brands for either quality or longevity?

My OEM part has lasted 80k so far (touch wood), so I don't mind paying for that, but if they're much of a muchness, then there's not much point paying the extra.

Thanks in advance! If you need any information from me, just ask...

80k wow.
I change mine every 40. But I’m petrol and paranoid.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
80k wow.
I change mine every 40. But I’m petrol and paranoid.

Tell me about it. There's always been something else that needs doing and there's never been a cambelt-sized wedge in my bank account to get the other things done and the cambelt too.

Now I'm nervous just driving up the road. It'll be such a relief once it's done. I have no idea what condition it's going to be in.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
same here Gates kit and water pump (the genuine pump) every 4 years even with me doing low miles as the FR150 is mapped

Thanks for this - I've ordered the Gates KP55569XS-4 set from buycarparts. I've not bought from them before and notice they're in Germany, but they've got a little over a week to get it to me, so I'll have to wait and see.

I've got a family friend who does a lot of the work on our cars, so I'll be going through it step by step with him, so with any luck I'll be able to do it myself in future - and more regularly too.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Remember to take plenty pics and do a decent write-up - just for us

I'll do my best to get at least the most important parts of the process... Sometimes I'm amazed how easy things are, other times they're a complete pain in the... I'm hoping this will be fairly straightforward. Now all I have to do is get from Brighton to Dorset to actually do the work...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Have you ordered a locking kit and a new waterpump?

The kit I ordered from buycarparts.co.uk looks like it's still sat in a warehouse in Germany, so I went to Jayar in Brighton today and picked up a Gates kit (K055569XS) and a Metelli water pump (24-1355). I'll just have to return the other kit when it arrives. It came to £120 for both, so it's not that much more expensive.

I'm hoping that the guy I'm doing the change with has got the locking tools - I'm assuming he has them anyway, given the amount of work he's done on my family's cars over the years!

I just need to get some coolant and I'm all set. That's the biggest pain - working out how much I need...

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
The kit I ordered from buycarparts.co.uk looks like it's still sat in a warehouse in Germany, so I went to Jayar in Brighton today and picked up a Gates kit (K055569XS) and a Metelli water pump (24-1355). I'll just have to return the other kit when it arrives. It came to £120 for both, so it's not that much more expensive.

I'm hoping that the guy I'm doing the change with has got the locking tools - I'm assuming he has them anyway, given the amount of work he's done on my family's cars over the years!

I just need to get some coolant and I'm all set. That's the biggest pain - working out how much I need...
I usually buy 5 litres of pink ready mix coolant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I've picked up a bottle of Comma G30, which is what all the factor sites pumped out when I put my reg in. Big bottle of deionised water too.

An hour after I picked up the cambelt kit, I got an e-mail to let me know the one I ordered from Germany would be arriving today, because, of course it will now I've bought another one. Luckily I can take it back to Jayar.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
All done.

The cambelt kit was a nightmare in the end. DPD were supposed to deliver the one from Germany on Monday, but there was "an issue" delivering the parcel, so I had to use the Jayar one instead. It eventually arrived after I'd got home from doing the work, so now I've got to send the kit back to Germany, rather than just popping up the road to Jayar. Pain in my arse.

The job itself was fairly straightforward - as anyone will tell you, the big hassle is getting to the belt. I've got some pictures, but I don't feel massively confident doing a write-up that I'd recommend anyone follow! It'll give you an idea though.

Only scary part of the day was when I went to pull off after doing it. The clip for the pancake pipe (which we took off to get better access to the lower parts) wasn't quite seated properly. That blew off with a loud 'bouff' and at the time I didn't know exactly what had happened. Car's lurching at low revs and I'm soiling my underpants. All sorted now though.

For anyone wondering - I've attached photos of what an eleven year old cambelt with 80,000 miles on it looks like...
4C016422-5F5C-42F0-B59C-F3EEAF2418E3.JPG
063CDBCF-841A-4909-BE60-67080151EC00.JPG

Reactions: Zardoz

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Looks in very good nick. Maybe that's why Seat say they should last 120k miles. But by that logic no cambelt should ever snap because no one waits that long, but they do.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.