New Cigarette Smoke Smell from Air Con?

SierraTango

Sep 11, 2018
Edinburgh
Hi,

As the title suggests, I can now smell a new cigarette smoke/something foosty from the air con.

I don't smoke, I don't allow any passengers to smoke in the car, plus the smell weirdly only appeared once I got in the car after finishing work (the car journey there smelled fine :shrug:). I've been fiddling about trying to air the car out, and the smell is not apparent at the coldest setting - but above 23 degrees, it's honking. Also worse when air is directed at the footwell. I was wondering if:

1a. Does this maybe need some sort of filter cleaned/changed?
1b. If so, what's the best filter to get?
2. Other suggestions/products to help get rid of the smell?

Thanks in advance!

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Might be worth a look at the cabin filter, could be damp etc and due a change. Not expensive from Eurocarparts using the discount code, it's located behind the glove box and there is a diy on this site somewhere as well.

Reactions: SierraTango

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Any chance your car is parked near the smoking area at work ?

Could your workmates be having a laugh and have dropped something in to the air intake area ?

Reactions: Rooster

SierraTango

Sep 11, 2018
Edinburgh
Might be worth a look at the cabin filter, could be damp etc and due a change. Not expensive from Eurocarparts using the discount code, it's located behind the glove box and there is a diy on this site somewhere as well.

I'll give that a go, I'm sure I liked a 'How To..' post on that a while back.
Also, what's this discount code for Eurocarparts? I've never seen one on the forum (right enough, I haven't needed any parts yet).

Any chance your car is parked near the smoking area at work ?

Could your workmates be having a laugh and have dropped something in to the air intake area ?

Possibly, maybe customers - I worked at a supermarket but tended to park with other colleagues. Is it just a case of lifting up the bonnet and clearing any debris yeah?

and cheers @EFF11, will give that a go till I can check the filter.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, if you go on the Eurocarparts website they usually have a discount code on the front page, it tends to vary between 30 to 50% but they always seem to have one!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That happens sometimes when the car in front throws out a fag end and it lands on your intake

Really annoys me. Had it happen before and it got stuck in my grill and carried on smoking. Stunk my car out.