Not a good day - Sump damage

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
While maneuvering out of a tight parking space at the local Tesco Express I managed to find a damaged and low bollard that punctured the sump on my Leon FR 1.8 DSG. At the time I only thought the damage was to the lip of the bumper however on the short journey to my destination the engine started revving higher. Then the oil pressure light came on just as I was arriving so immediately stopped. It was at this point when i realised that the oil was coming out of the sump.

I've had the car trailered to my local VAG independent and he'll be able to have a look at it on Monday.
I'm hoping it's just the engine sump but is the DSG box in a similar low and vulnerable position?
Any thoughts on the price for a sump? It's ages since I needed to make a claim on my insurance however I'm wondering if that may be about to change.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I would assume that the engine sump will be standard across the EA888 engine - I think that it’s plastic too.

c.£260 for OEM, c.£400 for upgrade Aluminium one.

No idea about the DSG sump sorry!

Deleted member 103408

On the assumption that the FR and Cupra share the same sump I have a 2014 cupra 280 plastic sump (As I replaced it with an Aluminum baffled sump) that has just been taken off my car.

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
In the end it needed a new sump and oil sensor which is mounted quite low in the sump and had also taken a direct hit.
The only bonus is that it's now also got new oil and filter too.
That bollard cost me £320 although my mechanic reckoned it could have been a lot worse and I was quite lucky to have escaped with only that damage.

Reactions: LouG
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.