Cupra vs FR

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
Do you not use super unleaded in your Cupra? Or did you use in in your FR too?
I use super unleaded.. Tesco works out 1.22 per litre at the moment... when I had my FR that was about the same price as normal unleaded to be honest but yeah, both tanks are 50L

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Please don't think all us FR owners are poor, Cupra wannabe owners.

I have a TDI 184 ST that I bought outright last year. For a while, I fancied a Cupra, and test drove both Cupra 280 and 290, and they were fantastic cars. But personally, after driving them, I considered my 184 TDI FR to be quick enough for me on the road as my daily driver. The extra running costs of a Cupra over my 184 just weren't worth the extra expense in my eyes.

I still think the Cupra is a great looking and performing car. But for a lot of people, those aren't always the primary considerations when buying a car. Judging by the Cupra thread on the forum, most seem to be leased anyway, so arguably, can anyone afford them?!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
According to Reuters, 86.5% of new car sales in the UK were purchased using some form of finance, so I guess that very few people can afford any car by this logic...

As an owner of both a MY14FR and MY19CUPRA (both owned outright) and owner of previous lukewarm hatches/estates from the VAG brands (GTD, VRS, FR - 170 PD & CR, 150 & 184 CR), when making steady progress on an open road with no traffic there is not too much between them, with the exception that the diesels are nose heavy and have a tendency to understeer.

However, it’s the acceleration of the CUPRA that sets these models apart; from a standing start, overtaking or out of a bend, it would leave any of them a significant distance behind, as would be expected for a model of similar weight, but with 50-100% increase in PS, and comparable torque figures across a bigger rev range.

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
I wonder if a Seat Leon FR 1.8 TSi would come close to a Cupra ( Standard ) with a is20 or is38 turbo and remap or jb4 ?

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
If it’s overall power to weight ratio was the same as the CUPRA then your answer will be yes!
I don't think the weight of an FR180 is that different to a Cupra so you'd need a 50% power hike. That's quite a bit.

Then you need to start looking at the other differences between an FR and a Cupra, such as the brakes and dampers.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
I have the FR 190, running the Bridgestones it came with, and in the recent snow the handling was so bad, I parked up, walked home, and had the day off work :)

Had Bridgestones on my FR during the beast from the east. I'll agree, they were poor in the snow.

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I had the 1.8 180 FR for 2 years and averaged 40 mpg overall.
I had my Cupra 290 for just over 2 years and averaged 35 mpg overall.

First winter I had the Cupra we had 5-6 inches of snow. I had a spare set of rims with snow tyres but was still nervous, but it coped brilliantly. For 3 days none of my neighbours got out of our road - either didn’t attempt to or got stuck. I was ferrying people out of the estate to the clearer roads where many then parked their vehicle.

My overall opinion, the Cupra was just that little bit nicer overall and having that extra power for when you want/need is no bad thing. Best ‘family’ car i’ve had, and would and probably will buy again in the future. Just scratching this RWD straight 6 engine itch with a BMW M140i at the moment.

Reactions: Jazzjames

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Friend of mine has a golf R (mk7) and yeah when the autobahn is open he pulls away from my 1.8 tsi 180. A colleague has a new TTRS, that thing would destroy the golf R.

My point is, there’s always going to be a faster car, no matter what car you have (unless you’re Sebastian Vettel this year). Just ask yourself if your car is fast enough for you to enjoy yourself and complete the job it needs to.

I bought the 1.8 tsi because all the Cupras in my budget had been ragged. I still have the e-diff and the independent rear suspension and a car that will roll up to 145mph on the flat without much bother. Good enough for me.

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
Friend of mine has a golf R (mk7) and yeah when the autobahn is open he pulls away from my 1.8 tsi 180. A colleague has a new TTRS, that thing would destroy the golf R.

My point is, there’s always going to be a faster car, no matter what car you have (unless you’re Sebastian Vettel this year). Just ask yourself if your car is fast enough for you to enjoy yourself and complete the job it needs to.

I bought the 1.8 tsi because all the Cupras in my budget had been ragged. I still have the e-diff and the independent rear suspension and a car that will roll up to 145mph on the flat without much bother. Good enough for me.

Revo and goapr say hi. You wouldn’t need a cupra with a 1.8 done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.