Model Year 19 Cupra ST 4 Drive Resonator Delete Issue

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
I have also seen a number of post's saying more carbon build up in the engine which the Lease owners wont care about.

I suspect the other advantage of GPF Over time is going to be you will find it harder and harder to drive into major towns in cars not fitted with such stuff.

not up north and mean proper up north lol! this won't be an issue for quite sometime

Deleted member 103408

I am pretty sure that Scandinavia has some restrictions on cars in big cities and certainly a lot of Europe does :)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I am pretty sure that Scandinavia has some restrictions on cars in big cities and certainly a lot of Europe does :)
London is introducing it, but even the old Mark 2 passes the emissions for it.

Same with France, short of being electric the Mk 3 is the lowest rating.

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
London is introducing it, but even the old Mark 2 passes the emissions for it.

Same with France, short of being electric the Mk 3 is the lowest rating.

should've kept my big power diesel churning out black smoke everywhere on boost lol!

Deleted member 103408

We can have this conversation again in 3 years time.

Anyway my unclean with sports cat car is very happy making lots of noise and pollution on the race track

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Deleted member 103408

@TheSwede thanks for this, very interesting thread and seems to back up what others have been saying about the Carbon and explains why they big tuning companies are still looking at the tunes for these cars.

And I guess its mostly going to be the next owners who are going to be impacted by this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
@TheSwede cheers for the share.

I'm still confused as to the issue with losing the multi port injection.

From what I'm reading it was to meet Euro6 regs.
Preventing the carbon build up on the valves was a by product.

It seems like this wasn't enough for WLTP, so couldn't the new changes address the old issue whilst meeting the new standards also?

Found the post about the R hatch interesting (see attached)

With regards to the CUPRA hatch could this be similar? Is that why mine (most likely others too) sound throatier?

As soon as mine gets up to temperature its seemingly quite loud.
42ae1ebb3068fd5363404d20e1b32d72.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
@theoldboy Interesting topic!

I haven't had any problems with carbon build up so far in any VAG engine.

MPI - I suppose all European VAG cars with EA888 gen 3 engine have MPI + DI. As we know in US the VAG cars are equipped with just DI. During the years one can find treads, e.g. at golfmk7.com, with topic “Carbon Build up” posted by US people. I really don’t know if the lack of MPI is the reason for Carbon build up. It’s a logical explanation but could there be other reasons?

An active use of the engine prevents build up, as a couple of track days in a year :).

/Peter

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
MPI was introduced to meet euro 6 emission standards but it had a good side effect of spraying fuel over the valves washing a way the film of oil that leads to carbon build up. Vag had to fit a gpf to meet wltp regulations it is so effective mpi was no longer required so they removed it and saved a chunk of change.

My mk2 cupra r stage 2 suffered from misfiring at idle only 30k miles which I put down to this carbon build up but I sold it before it got any worse after spending a fortune on injectors.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
As an aside, my friend who detailed my Cupra a few weeks back has just had a 100 mile old MY19 Golf GTI delivered. He said it's much louder even than the previous R and GTI and more so than my MY19 Cupra. Once he get gets the wheels off he's going to have a look underneath to see what they've done to the exhaust. No idea on the pops and bangs etc as he'll not be taking it out for a spin.

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
Has anyone had any updates on the MY19 ST300 GPF removal?

Or how to make these exhausts sound like they should have!?

Nivster

Sep 3, 2019
Anyone got a shot of the full exhaust system...or specially the rear end to tail pipes?

Trying to how determine how easy/costly it might be to switch out the back box only.

Also would be curious to see pics of Cupra R ST exhaust also...anyone saw this?

Cheers!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As a typical warm version of a road car, I'd say that my daughter's new Leon Cupra exhaust is quite noisy. Quiet exhausts used to be the bain of Audi S4 etc owners, which is probably why the first owner fitted a Milltek resonated SS exhaust so that you can hear the engine working.
Many car makers consider that carbon build up with DI only is only an issue for NA engines, charged engines normally get enough air stuffed into them due to the higher induction pressures.

Edit:- given the choice, I'd rather have some port injection to cut back on the induction side getting coked up.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Anyone got a shot of the full exhaust system...or specially the rear end to tail pipes?

Trying to how determine how easy/costly it might be to switch out the back box only.

Cheers!
Not quite what you asked for as this is the Carbon system. However the carbon and 4 drive systems and routing are the same, it’s just the internals and 4 pipes are different.

Again the Cupra R and GPF/PPF 4drive are the same as each other, and the same as the photo just with a straight pipe instead of a resonator.

So this photo shows how the pipes go to oval they first split.
65F7E413-D1A6-4E6C-8DA1-E1C1F569573E.jpeg

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018

Cheers!

@Nivster, I had a res delete done on my 2017 St300 and to be honest it didn’t rally do that much because of the massive silencer each side of the exit pipe. I ordered a cat back system from a German exhaust company with rs4/6 tips and smaller silencers and it made a BIG difference,exactly how these cars should sound,there a few people who can vouch for this with the car meets that we have a few time a year.
be55a92b1bfb9578b42572e29fd65dfe.jpg
6a684184901e6117ec5257ba320bc77f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.