Floor mat studs / clips

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Is it easy to swap out the original round studs that hold the front floor mats in place with the newer oval twist ones? The mats I've ordered have the oval holes and I'm thinking if I swap my holders the mats will be more secure.

Next question, anyone got any? :)

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I've got the twist ones in my FR and one had always been broken since I bought the car. I bought some from eBay, but I didn't actually have to put them into the floor - just snap the top off one and put it in the broken one.

I did try unscrewing it so I didn't have to break the new ones, but they didn't seem to simply 'unscrew'.

Most of the ones on eBay are the same - I didn't buy from this seller, but they're easy to find if you search something like 'VW carpet twist'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-FLOOR-MAT-CARPET-SCREW-CLIPS-SCREWS-PLASTIC-TURN-LOCK-TWIST-OVAL-HOLE-RINGS/401291528441?fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3AGolf&hash=item5d6ed6c8f9:g:uEEAAOSw2gxYySUX:rk:9:pf:0

Hopefully someone else can chime in if these are the right ones - I don't imagine they'd change the fixing method for a stock VW part.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Cheers mate, I've been digging about and heard that there's a plastic part underneath the carpet that's different between the two types. Didn't want to pull out the current ones unless I'm sure it's a straight swap.

Could always just sell on these mats and look for the correct fit for my studs.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Cheers mate, I've been digging about and heard that there's a plastic part underneath the carpet that's different between the two types. Didn't want to pull out the current ones unless I'm sure it's a straight swap.

It's one of the reasons I didn't want to try too hard to pull out the existing floor stud - just in case the part I had wasn't right and I ended up with two parts I couldn't use.

I've had the official SEAT ones for years, but they've worn through on the driver side. It's a shame I can't get hold of them individually, but there's a place in town that does repairs on these kinds of things, so I might see if they can renovate them.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Yeah far more faff than I thought it would be! I've been in touch with the eBay seller and organised a free return and refund. Odd thing is when I look around online the cheapest mats with round holes jump up from £11 to £20! Same mats just different fittings!

Reactions: iammooks
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.