Autocar less than enthusiastic now

johnd

Nov 18, 2018
Specifically about hard ride and road noise it would seem - see comments in:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/tester’s-notes/matt-prior-has-performance-suspension-hit-bump-road

Any comments from among the few here who have taken delivery or had an extended drive? Must say that the one aspect that has been concerned me somewhat about the CA spec is the low profile tyres (40 profile is it?).

I'm never sure why the makers of 'sporty' model versions feel the need to push the envelope on wheel size & tyre profiles so much - most of us are never going to driving their car at the absolute limit or using it on track days. Other than their more extreme models, Porsche for instance seem to understand the importance of adequate tyre compliance and never push tyre profiles to the limit, yet continue to be recognised as probably the best in the business for combining grip & roadholding with a decent wedge of comfort.

Last edited:

wesbar

Nov 22, 2009
I thought the ride was pretty compliant in comfort on my test drive. But thats coming from a Golf GTI with 19’s and no DCC. I guess it will depend what your coming from to a large degree.

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
Both myself and my wife found the ride in "normal" mode very comfortable (test drive over some particularly bad stretches of Belgian highway, ones we use every day). "Sport" was OK, wouldn't mind it even for longer distances. "Cupra" was harsh, but not excessively so. From experience: a Porsche 911 GTS in Sport+ is a lot more uncomfortable.

For info: daily ride now (until the Cupra Ateca gets delivered) is a 2.0 TDI Leon ST FR. Ride quality of the Cupra Ateca in Sport is comparable with the FR, normal is a lot more comfortable, Cupra far less.

I wouldn't attach too much importance to an article starting with "I don't like this car" - probably Seat pissed off the author with something.

Reactions: Ronnie Miller

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
I agree with the above comments in that all of these modes will be a compromise of sorts.Thats where the individual mode comes into its own in that you can have all of the benefits of Cupra mode,but with a more compliant suspension setting to suit you and the terrain.Perfect!

Ronnie Miller

Feb 19, 2019
I swapped my Ateca 2l diesel Xcellence for the Cupra comfort and sound. I have just driven 240 miles on A roads and motorway and could not hear any difference in road noise and the ride was just as comfortable.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.