HID's

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Thinking about some HID's for the Leon. What would you guys recommend?

Also should I get the CANBUS ones or is that only needed for the MK2?

And what bulbs do you guys prefer? 6000k "Super White" or 8000k and 10000k Blue, I like the 6000k personally.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Technically speaking these are not legal for cars not factory installed, however, I’ve had them fitted to my mk1 for over 5 years with no issues.
I bought the H7r 35w 6000K from HID Direct. If you have standard lights then you will need the H7r lamps to prevent blinding on coming drivers. The 6000K is personal choice and give great light at night + looks 1000 times better than horrible yellowish lights.
Have you looked into LED lamps instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Technically speaking these are not legal for cars not factory installed, however, I’ve had them fitted to my mk1 for over 5 years with no issues.
I bought the H7r 35w 6000K from HID Direct. If you have standard lights then you will need the H7r lamps to prevent blinding on coming drivers. The 6000K is personal choice and give great light at night + looks 1000 times better than horrible yellowish lights.
Have you looked into LED lamps instead?

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Car has 12 Months MOT. I also know how to adjust my light and don't plan on blinding people. I'm just looking for a better lighting source for off road events. Mainly need to know if I need CANBUS HID's to avoid codes. And can you also convert the high beams? That way I can have my high beams and spots on the same secondary switch for events, and normal running lights during the rest of the time on public roads.

@bruceR I have had them mentioned to me by a family member, but I'm looking to do something fun as the car takes part in visual style events as well as rally. I plan to have a set of original headlights for the car in daily use. and a second set which I will retro fit angel eye rings in to. I though HID's would work better with this idea as they produce less heat and wont effect the rings

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Thank you. Just out of curiosity. Would upgrading to aftermarket headlights with projector style lenses be legal? And would this be a modification in the sense you would need to declare it as a modification to the insurance company? Just in case I decided to legally upgrade my old headlight units. Tbh I think a new set of standard ones with good bulbs would be enough though.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
They can be done either full headlight or retro fit into original headlight - search for info on this.
Probably best speak to Insurance first for this.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I had reflector HID's on for a long time , then forgot about them went for an MOT and failed , so put Philips night visions in and moved the HID's to the foglight position, havn't failed an MOT this way.

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I had reflector HID's on for a long time , then forgot about them went for an MOT and failed , so put Philips night visions in and moved the HID's to the foglight position, havn't failed an MOT this way.
I spotted a kit the other day for up-rated fog lights. I'll probably run something like that in conjunction with a couple hella 7" spotties. Not got enough knowledge on led spots and don't want to be a tester lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members