Car Ventilation

bobski

Jan 1, 2014
Had this problem for a few months but got to the point of really needing to look at it & get it sorted.

Some time ago the car started to suffer from condensation on the inside, thinking it could have been from a rainy day & wet feet I put some cat litter in a sock to try it out. It didn't really have much of an effect. I have even left a dehumidifier in the car over a weekend and there wasn't anything in it which leads me to think the damp is coming from somewhere inside the cooling system.

Putting the air con on was really efficient at the start but that is also now starting to lose it's effect. With normal air ventilation on (non air con) the car steams up within minutes on all windows.

Having the windows open helps but its bloody cold.When I do put the windows down and up there are actual water droplets on the inside which look to be coming from the internal strip on the door.

I have checked the carpets and boot and none of it feels damp

Something tells me it could be to do with the ventilation system but I can't say I've had it this bad when now even the air con is struggling to shift the damp.

Are there any areas I need to check for blockages or is this a known issue with any of the components?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is the pollen filter clean and newish, also is the area in front of the windscreen (air plenum/wiper motor area) clear of leaves etc?
Next, the spare wheel well, is it dry if not are the seals round the rear lights leaking?

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
i second the pollen filter. its really easy to check, not too expensive and very easy to replace, even i managed it. my mate had this issue in a mk5 golf and his pollen filter was soiled, soon as he changed it things started improving

Priteshmakanjee

Pritesh91
Jan 26, 2018
West Midlands
I have the same issue with my 2017 fr 2.0. Top half of the windscreen is always misted up and no matter what I do with the AC with all temps doesn’t do any good. Replaced pollen filter, still nothing, cleaned area behind the wipers, nothing has changed.

Dealership has it and it’s being checked over. Hopefully gets fixed soon!

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
My Mk4 FR started doing the same after half an hour or so of driving. Found out the recirc flap motor was buggered and the car wasn't drawing air in from outside. All I've done to "fix" it is take the motor off and manually wedge the flaps so it only draws fresh air in.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.