Aviva insurance - Any luck declaring a DTUK tuning box?

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I've been thinking about buying a DTUK CRD3+/CRD-t box for my 184FR, so I thought I'd have a chat with Aviva first to see how much I'd get stung. After a long webchat, they asked if it would increase the performance, I said yes, from 184 to 240. Even though 240 is unlikely, I had to quote that figure. They said they wouldn't insure me if I fitted one of these boxes. Is anyone with Aviva and successfully declared a DTUK tuning box? If so, how much did your premium go up by?

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
I've been thinking about buying a DTUK CRD3+/CRD-t box for my 184FR, so I thought I'd have a chat with Aviva first to see how much I'd get stung. After a long webchat, they asked if it would increase the performance, I said yes, from 184 to 240. Even though 240 is unlikely, I had to quote that figure. They said they wouldn't insure me if I fitted one of these boxes. Is anyone with Aviva and successfully declared a DTUK tuning box? If so, how much did your premium go up by?

Yeah I managed to insure this with Aviva no issues....cost me an extra £15 for 3 months left on my policy.

I have the same a 184FR so can’t see why you would have an issue with this.

When I went to get a quote for it I tried the web chat and they couldn’t provide a quote because they need to phone the underwriters so I was instructed to call them up for a quote and then the could speak to their underwriters to whether they would be able to insure it or not.

So try phoning them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Yeah I managed to insure this with Aviva no issues....cost me an extra £15 for 3 months left on my policy.

I have the same a 184FR so can’t see why you would have an issue with this.

When I went to get a quote for it I tried the web chat and they couldn’t provide a quote because they need to phone the underwriters so I was instructed to call them up for a quote and then the could speak to their underwriters to whether they would be able to insure it or not.

So try phoning them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.

She asked if it was going to be professionally fitted, I said 'no' and she said she'd need to talk to the underwriters. So I said lets carry on assuming I'm going to get it professionally fitted. As soon as I said it would increase the power, she said my car wouldn't be insured if I fitted it. I doubt, at that time of night, she spoke direct with the underwriters to get any info.

We must have different underwriters, one more stricter that the other, or she just wasn't interested.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Thanks for the reply.

She asked if it was going to be professionally fitted, I said 'no' and she said she'd need to talk to the underwriters. So I said lets carry on assuming I'm going to get it professionally fitted. As soon as I said it would increase the power, she said my car wouldn't be insured if I fitted it. I doubt, at that time of night, she spoke direct with the underwriters to get any info.

We must have different underwriters, one more stricter that the other, or she just wasn't interested.

Don't get why they cant but like you say it must be down to the fact I might have a different underwriter....

Might be worth asking why can't they as you know of other people who have insured the exact same device with Aviva.

What did you tell them what the device is? I said it is a Engine tuning device and on my motor policy under modifications it has "Engine Tuned".

I guess if they won't insure it they're not going to unless you try again and hopefully get someone whos helpful and gets it done for you or you ask could it be that paticular underwriter you are part of and could you change?

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance for a tuning box then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.