Should I Wait for MK 4 or buy MK3 Cupra

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
As title says. Ive paid a small deposit on a Cupra lux 290 but I'm wondering if and when the MK4 appears will it perhaps have 350 hp and other bits making me regret my purchase. Does anyone here know when we'll be able to order a MK4 and what it'll cost?
Thanks

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
No sure. But you can just remap the 290 and get 400bhp. They'll always be something new round the corner even if it's just different headlights. I'd just enjoy what you've already put the deposit on.

Reactions: Mac Ali

Deleted member 103408

are you leasing or buying. if buying just buy it if you like it you can easily get 500 hp if numbers are your thing

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
Yes I'm buying and yes I agree with your wisdom that life's too short. The trouble with mapping to gain power is it voids the warranty which is a concern if any major problems occur during the first 3 years. I purchased my current car, an Ibiza which was a run out model almost two years ago and think the new one looks better although my decision was based on having a 4 cylinder as opposed to imo an inferior 3 cylinder which I'd driven and didn't like but the new Cupra is unlikely to go down that route.

Deleted member 103408

So in a nutshell what else do you need/want over the car you have seen.

What do you gain from waiting for the new release vs the cost (yours will be worth less and brand new models I am guessing have less offers from dealers)

And then decide if the wait is worth it.

With regards to warranty I went stage one very quickly after I got my car and had no issues (that was my risk assessment) and based on what i have seen on this and facebook most warranty claims are not related to engine / power train its more to do with rattles (its a seat) Materials and Lights.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
So in a nutshell what else do you need/want over the car you have seen.

What do you gain from waiting for the new release vs the cost (yours will be worth less and brand new models I am guessing have less offers from dealers)

And then decide if the wait is worth it.

With regards to warranty I went stage one very quickly after I got my car and had no issues (that was my risk assessment) and based on what i have seen on this and facebook most warranty claims are not related to engine / power train its more to do with rattles (its a seat) Materials and Lights.
What I'd want is maybe more power as I've had cars in rxcess of 500bhp in the past and wasted much money on chasing the latest and greatest version so I'm slightly weary about buying a run out model (as I know we always lose on part ex deals) even though I do like how it looks and how it drives. It's interesting that your not aware of warranty issues on re mapped cars. I've already contacted Revo and I think stage 1 will be more than enough considering the relatively light weight of the Cupra.

Deleted member 103408

I fully understand the warranty situation, what I was trying to say was I personally took the view that stage 1 with a well looked after car would be very unlikely to make me need a warranty claim on the Engine / Gearbox (which proved to be true). That is just my personal risk assessment.

My understanding is that you still have full warranty on the rest of the car and based on the failures we have seen on this site the dealer would not be able to say no to most of the common failures. Again my personal risk view.

Have you thought about a lease that way you get the current MK3 for a period of time at a fixed cost then if you like the MK4 you can jump back in and buy one.

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
I’m in the same boat, but my mind was made up for me by Seat Ireland. My PCP runs out the end of March. I’ve been told I can’t order a Mk111. I have to wait for Mk 1V . Now I’m buying the car outright which wasn’t my intention from the beginning.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
A MkIV Cupra isn’t going to be available for at least a year after introduction of the MkIV. If you are happy to wait that long for something you don’t even know what it will look like is up to you. Personally I’d go for a Mk3 and by the time the MkIV Cupra is availabke you’ve probably had up to 2 years fun owning a Cupra.

I’ve not heard of any UK Dealers refusing orders in Mk3 Cupra’s yet. Maybe Ireland is different but I’d question that or try another dealer.

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Yes that’s what they are saying and it would follow suit that the Mk1v Cupra will arrive some time later from the base model release. In a recent interview though the CEO, didn’t rule out the Cupra being released first. I do like hassle free motoring and am hoping the Mk1V gets a nice hefty power increase.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
I've looked at some lease costs and they seem extortionate as over 48 months I'd end up completely paid the full value and not own it which doesn't make much sense to me. Over 24 months I'd pay almost 18k in rental and without owning it. So buying it is a far cheaper option imo

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
I've looked at some lease costs and they seem extortionate as over 48 months I'd end up completely paid the full value and not own it which doesn't make much sense to me. Over 24 months I'd pay almost 18k in rental and without owning it. So buying it is a far cheaper option imo
You need to look harder if you're interested in leasing, my 290 will have cost me 5k after my 2 years are up, also never lease for longer than 2 years, financially it doesn't make sense

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
18K over 24 months? Forgetting a deposit, that works out at £750 per month, Where are you even looking!? Haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
18K over 24 months? Forgetting a deposit, that works out at £750 per month, Where are you even looking!? Haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
That included deposit, it was the lease options on the Parker's website, I haven't looked too hard yet lol

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
You need to look harder if you're interested in leasing, my 290 will have cost me 5k after my 2 years are up, also never lease for longer than 2 years, financially it doesn't make sense
Can you share where you got 5k over 2 years as that's a very competitive price

Steelywhisper

Jul 28, 2016
Ireland
I’m in the same boat, but my mind was made up for me by Seat Ireland. My PCP runs out the end of March. I’ve been told I can’t order a Mk111. I have to wait for Mk 1V . Now I’m buying the car outright which wasn’t my intention from the beginning.

Was it Seat Ireland that said that? I think with the change over to Cupra sub brand only one dealer in Ireland can sell them, they have an Ateca Cupra but at €50k its way over what I'd be willing to pay for one.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
A MkIV Cupra isn’t going to be available for at least a year after introduction of the MkIV. If you are happy to wait that long for something you don’t even know what it will look like is up to you. Personally I’d go for a Mk3 and by the time the MkIV Cupra is available you’ve probably had up to 2 years fun owning a Cupra.
Previous experience suggests that this is correct, which means that a Mk.4 Cupra is unlikely to be available for delivery until late 2020.

@CupraK290, if you think you'd like one of these, I'd suggest leasing a Mk.3 for a couple of years to tide you over. Rates are heavily dependent on your mileage but, from what I've seen, you should be able to get one for around £330 pcm (£8000 total) for 10,000 miles per year.

By the way, 350 bhp stock sounds very optimistic to me unless the engine is going to be bigger than 2 litres (the now discontinued Focus RS had 350 bhp from a 2.3 litre engine and an RS3 has 390 bhp from a 2.5). I would doubt that it will have any more than 320 bhp and may well have less to protect the VAG hierarchy.

Reactions: LouG and Maypack

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
Previous experience suggests that this is correct, which means that a Mk.4 Cupra is unlikely to be available for delivery until late 2020.

@CupraK290, if you think you'd like one of these, I'd suggest leasing a Mk.3 for a couple of years to tide you over. Rates are heavily dependent on your mileage but, from what I've seen, you should be able to get one for around £330 pcm (£8000 total) for 10,000 miles per year.

By the way, 350 bhp stock sounds very optimistic to me unless the engine is going to be bigger than 2 litres (the now discontinued Focus RS had 350 bhp from a 2.3 litre engine and an RS3 has 390 bhp from a 2.5). I would doubt that it will have any more than 320 bhp and may well have less to protect the VAG hierarchy.
There has been rumours of a Golf R400 so the hierarchy would be protected. If Revo can easily increase the power by software to 350-370 then surely it would be easy for Seat to take it to 350 with a 2 litre engine?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise