Looking at a new head unit

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
No but examining the information at the link I would go for the Android version with WiFi (if I could tolerate the awful OEM look)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
From what I remember about previous reviews they are pretty ****.

You can get a genuine RNS-315 for that so I don't know why you'd get a Chinese fake version for the same money???

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Thanks for the response guys, I did find some threads on mk5golf GTI forum where a few who had bought them where complaining over slow and crashy menus

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
If I change to an aftermarket head unit will I suffer battery drain issues as I have read on here the early mk2 Leon's can get this issue. My Leon is a 2006 on 56 plate.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
You got something you can plug into the cigarette lighter? On my 2006, the lighter is always live (because there is no ignition live - which is the issue). On my Cupra it turns off.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
You got something you can plug into the cigarette lighter? On my 2006, the lighter is always live (because there is no ignition live - which is the issue). On my Cupra it turns off.
I have a USB charger plugged into the cigarette lighter and when the ignition is off the charger switches off

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Should be alright then. The late 2006s/early 2007s skipped the issue.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I had 2 of these units from them lasted a week tips before I had to return them and get a refund as the canbus in them just kept burning out....not good

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cheers for that as its certainly worth knowing.

Are the xtrons units any better?

Reactions: DannyallenFR

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Marmite. From what I've read some love them others hate them. Depending on their experience I guess. I've wanted an android head unit for a while. The xtrons tick a lot of boxes. But I've not been brave enough to try it.

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
I have read alot of people buying the xtrons unit, for the money you can buy a genuine RNS315 unit.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea in a Leon just buy a genuine RNS315, if you had a different car that didn't come with a decent headunit as standard then maybe look at an Xtrons.

I had an android double din in an old Ibiza, it worked well but the fitment wasn't amazing and the audio quality was average at best.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Yea in a Leon just buy a genuine RNS315, if you had a different car that didn't come with a decent headunit as standard then maybe look at an Xtrons.

I had an android double din in an old Ibiza, it worked well but the fitment wasn't amazing and the audio quality was average at best.
Is the rns315 a direct fit to a 2006 leon? I am seeing many of these rns315 units on Ebay for between £250-300 which is double the cost of a xtron unit

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Is the rns315 a direct fit to a 2006 leon? I am seeing many of these rns315 units on Ebay for between £250-300 which is double the cost of a xtron unit

The RNS 315 was a direct fit into my 2010 leon I would assume it is the same just needed to but the double din fascia £12 from SEAT, I picked mine up for £200 with all cables then I bought a Mic from eBay and retrofitted it into the OEM port and into the light above the driver seat as it has built in Bluetooth.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yes as above it should be a direct fit, lots of people have installed them.

The GPS antennae and microphone are separate and plug into the back of the unit, both are cheap to buy online.
Bluetooth, DAB etc is all built into the unit so requires no other modules.

You'll need your interior colour code when ordering the DAB fascia, not too hard to figure out which one you have.
Pull the existing fascia off and run the part number, it should come back with an interior colour code.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff

I have had a Leon-specific 9" Xtrons unit for a couple of years, paid £289.
Pros:
9" screen, 9" ! not the postage-stamp size ones I see on the OEM stuff
Looks completely plain, no branding and does not look like the awful OEM "design", design in quotes because I really dislike the look.
DAB is pretty good with a stick on aerial
Enormous Android App ecosystem, dozens of satnav options, free or cheap - lifetime Sygic was about £10
Fast to boot, fast in operation.
Torque works really well with the Xtrons branded OBD2 Bluetooth dongle.

Cons:
Like any Android device I have owned, it occasionally hangs and the hardware reset recessed button does not work - tolerated this for a year, then wired a switch into the permanent live feed and it is never an issue now. The problem really is that in the Leon with its weird "all lives are permanent" setup, the unit is never truly switched off.
Not an issue I particularly care about but the Android version is 6 on my unit and it appears that unless you want to do your own flashing, you are stuck with that unless you buy a new unit - some people would care but curiously they don't mind using WinCE which was last updated when Victoria was on the throne and there are virtually zero apps that run on it.

Reactions: Brimfull
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise