Scrap it or keep it???

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Our 2005 FR TDI is showing its age. We've had it from new and having had an easy life to summer 2015 under the control of my wife, I've been commuting 100 miles a day after we moved house, it has 151000 miles on it.

• It was hit on the OSR corner last year by an unisured driver and has a dent just in front of the tail lights on the quarter panel.
  • OSF wing is shot due to rust.
  • The heater recirc flaps stuck, so I pulled th motor off and jammed it "open" to stop the car steaming up.
  • Seat bolster worn through.
  • Last April's MOT advisories were worn front arm bushes, the front arms are corroded and the exhaust silencer is rotten. I've done another year and not bothered sorting any of that.
  • Tailgate has a wobbler and won't open at random times.
BUT, even though I drive in a spirited manner, I'm still averaging mid to high 50s mpg on the diesel I get from work. The car was Revo mapped in 2008 and is still going strong.

Get rid (I don't think there's much on it of value to make breaking it worthwhile) or repair/restore/restomod?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
If it's got MOT it's still worth a few quid to sell complete.

Replacement wing won't be too expensive, for £60 you can get both lower arms, bushes, track-rod ends and ARB drop links.

Bustabloodklart

May 2, 2017
50mpg and an MOT passer? Why on earth would you get rid of it and risk buying an unknown quantity?
Mine was revo’d 3 years back, still produces roughly the same 171brake and does 54 mpg at 980 miles a week.
New wing takes a hour to fit.

Reactions: Andrewwright