What tow bar?

tommo

Sep 3, 2018
Can anyone recommend a tow bar? Will install it myself, don't want to spend more than necessary. Will only be used for a small car trailer with a Westfield on it, probably 1200kg total.

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Can anyone recommend a tow bar? Will install it myself, don't want to spend more than necessary. Will only be used for a small car trailer with a Westfield on it, probably 1200kg total.

I got a Witter detachable swan neck towbar. Rated up to 2000kg.

Had it fitted one day while I was at work. The fitter came to the works car park to do the job so it couldn't have been easier. It works great for my mid sized camping trailer or Thule bike rack and lives in the boot when not in use.

Shop around online for the best deal. Obviously I paid the fitting cost.

To be honest I don't recall there being many tow bar options for my ST so went with what I know and trust with no regrets.

peter362

May 17, 2015
Wirral

I got a Witter detachable swan neck towbar. Rated up to 2000kg.

Had it fitted one day while I was at work. The fitter came to the works car park to do the job so it couldn't have been easier. It works great for my mid sized camping trailer or Thule bike rack and lives in the boot when not in use.

Shop around online for the best deal. Obviously I paid the fitting cost.

To be honest I don't recall there being many tow bar options for my ST so went with what I know and trust with no regrets.

I also had a Witter detachable swan neck tow bar fitted to my Exeo saloon. Used to to a caravan with a maximum weight of 1276 kg and the maximum noseweight is 75 Kg. I think it was the only detachable option available when I was looking although I think Witter also did a fixed towbar but liked the neater look of the detachable. It was fitted at my home by a mobile fitter and have had it on the car for 8 years with no problems at all.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
Where are you? If you have the saloon (or they are compatible), you could remove mine, and the dedicated electrics, and refit my original crash bar - we could come to an agreement on price.

its a detachable one. 75kg noseweight, that I used to pull a 1400kg caravan. I'm in the north east.

tommo

Sep 3, 2018
Where are you? If you have the saloon (or they are compatible), you could remove mine, and the dedicated electrics, and refit my original crash bar - we could come to an agreement on price.

its a detachable one. 75kg noseweight, that I used to pull a 1400kg caravan. I'm in the north east.

Thank you for the offer but I am South West!

Thanks for the Witter recommendations too guys.

Windydave13

Mar 20, 2016
I went with a detachable witter and dedicated electrics from PF Jones. The install of the towbar itself is really easy. From memroy i had to remove one of the rubbers holding the back box up to get to the bolts on the left hand side but it was easy enough.

I went with the 11pin electrics and the instructions suggested i needed to take a wire to the battery. Quick call to PF Jones and one of the fitters explained that there was a permanent live uder the steering wheel so i just had to go to that.

Also linking into the brake lights, there are 2 wires very similarly coloured, so worth popping the lens out to check you're linking into the correct brake light.

Good luck

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland

Hi

Ive removed my detachable Thule swan neck towbar from my exeo, before trading it in.

Best one for this car.

Looking for 100.00 if interested.

Over 500 new fitted

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise